1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Golf Apparel-Country Club Styling

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nightowl6261a, Dec 16, 2004.

1. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

What is the general feeling about golf apparel here in The SF, something not touched on that I have seen. Personally, for casual attire, I really like the golf attire look, or as some would say the country club look....golf shirt, sweater vest, that type of thing.
    Is this to unstylish, or old man looking?
    My favorite is Antigua or Ashworth.

2. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior member

3. Phil

Phil Senior member

If you are talking about pleated dockers and a logoed golf shirt, then no. If you are talking about taking some stylish clothes that have a subtle golf influence, then I think you would look great.

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I think the styling of current golf "performance" apparel, for the most part, runs somehwat counter to the style sense of many of the posters here. This is not necessarily true of more dandified trad golf clothing.

That said, I am not against golf clothes when worn on the golf course. I find if I'm going to buy a golf shirt in a pro shop, I generally have to go a size down from what I would usually wear.

I do think that if you value aesthetic sensibilities like harmony of texture, pattern, and fit, a lot of golf clothing is not for you. Most stuff is overlogoed and aimed directly at being un-fashionable.

5. nightowl6261a

Not quite the Hogan look, but more the Tiger Woods look, more subtle, yet definitely golf styling. Tiger pulls it off quite well. Sans the hat. [​IMG]

6. shoreman1782

Tiger pulls it off because he's in shape and plays golf professionally. His habit of buttoning the entire placket of his golf shirts is off-putting, though. I would say the majority of regular joes buying golf clothes don't buy clothes that fit and complement them they way Tiger's do him. And, the hat.

If a guy doesn't need the functional side of Tiger's style, I wouldn't recommend it highly.

7. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I personally am quite fond of the golfer/country club look as well. However, this may be one of those regional things as you are in the Southeast and I am in the Southwest.

Perhaps the golf look is not as prevalent for our Northeast, Pacific Northwest and California members. As for the overseas members, the look you are describing seems to me to be almost exclusively an American phenomenon.

As for the styles - I agree Ashworth and Antigua are great. I also like Cutter & Buck, the Bobby Jones collection, the Nike Tiger Woods collection, Polo Golf and Tommy Bahama.

Bradford

8. nightowl6261a

Actually, I wear the golf shirt the same way, buttoned to the top, I am not sure why, but always have. As for the in-shape part and the fit, I think I pull it off decently, not quite as well as Tiger mind you, but I am pretty fit. I like to wear the Ballin Gabardine Wool Pants, with say a nice Antigua golf shirt and Vest...I just do not dress in sport coat and suits on a very regular basis. In the neighborhood and social circles I travel in, it seems the more business casual golf look has become the tradition in the Atlanta area more.

Edit here:
    Bradford I agree about the regionalism, and also on the Bobby Jones, there once was an outlet in Wisconsin you could get good deals through, but that has all but dried up. I do not care much for the Cutter & Buck, they are very wide cut for me, and also heavy, in the south the humidity is too high for their weight.

9. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I think that there is a certain type of man who can pull off the country club look during the backyard barbeque. But I agree that the clothes have to be high quality, well-fitting, and devoid of logos to be stylish.

However, I am a fan of golf clothing for the golf course. It is enjoyable to me to go to a nice course dressed nicely. I have actually started wearing wool trousers for golf lately, as they just look better and are more comfortable than stiffer cotton chinos. In addition, they look better with nice golf shoes. As far as shirting, I believe Jeff Rose makes the most stylish golf shirts (I don't count J. Lindberg as golf wear -- it simply isn't functional enough), though some may not like the mercerized cotton look. I do, with the caveat that the pants have to be very nice. I don't mind staying in my golf clothes after coming off the course, but I don't think I'd ever dress in my golf clothes if I weren't hitting the links.

10. nightowl6261a

Although Jeff Rose is a nice shirt, the brother brand is Bobby Jones, and I believe the Jones shirts are a better grade pima cotton, and some are even silk blends, which if not mistaken, the Rose collection does not come in the blend. But, this also represents the price for some of the Jones shirts at $175.

11. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Sidenote:
    Have you guys seen the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David starts wearing his golf outfit (polo shirt tucked into chinos) on his daily basis? Hilarious.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I always wondered who bought that crap.

As for Tiger, the man wears his clothes cut way to big. The reasonb the look even remotely works for him is that he 1) Is in superb physical condition, and 2) is in fact a professional golfer. I think that a lot of fat asses out there figure that they can pull off his look, but they happen to be wrong. Unless you are in pretty decent shape, (either muscular or tall and slim with angular shoulders,) and have all your hair, don't even try. Not unless you want to look like you work the floor at Home Depot or Bestbuy.

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782:
    LA Guy:
    Dude, LA Guy, way to steal my thunder after the fact..

14. LA Guy

shoreman1782,

Dude, sorry. Read the whole thread really quickly and was hurrying to reply - missed your comments - obviously. My bad.

Anyway, completely in agreement.

15. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Wow - LA Guy - don't be afraid to share your true feelings about this subject [​IMG] And I figured Ernest would be the first one to flame me about this. As for me - I'm 6'3", 185 lbs and have a full head of hair. Can I keep wearing my golf clothes? Bradford

16. shoreman1782

's alright. Your comments being significantly more pointed, don't think it's really redundant. Golf clothes are to everyday wear as basketball jerseys are to everyday wear. Some people do it, but unless you fit a certain type, it's probably not going to look good. Course, people will wear it anyway, because it's comfortable and that's their thing. 's alright. EDIT: Honestly, it fits certain people. My dad is a big middle aged white guy who golfs a lot and wears Baltusrol golf shirts regularly. I would not necessarily encourage my dad to wear anything else.

17. nightowl6261a

Well, unfortunately I probably need to play naked then, I am 5'7" 180, but I do wear a 33 waist and a 42 coat, so not to bad, but I make up for my vertical impairidness by playing to a 7. So, I guess all is not too bad.

18. LA Guy

At least I don't call you farmer.

And although I hate those brands and the whole "country club" image they seek to convey, some of them (Bobby Jones, Tommy Bahama, for example) are at least reasonable well made.  Seriously though, unless you feel the need to look like the bad guy in Happy Gilmore, if you are going to wear a Tommy Bahama button up, no khakis.  Loosen up the image with jeans and sneakers.  And similarly, if you are going to wear khakis (pleats still highly inadvisable), go with a long sleeve graphic tee in a neutral color, and not a golf shirt.

19. LA Guy

Actually, I think proper golfing attire is great when you are actually playing golf (although I personally dress like Happy Gilmore when I do (very occasionally) hold a golf club). It's just off the course that the look is offputting. Like Shoreman said, it's analogous to wearing jerseys off the court. Look at the real ballers. They usually don't, for a good reason.

20. nightowl6261a

Actually, I believe Bradford summed it all up as to the people who do and do not wear this style, they tend to be either from the south or southwest region, also middle aged, which most here seem not to be, and maybe a little more conservative set. I rather see a lot of men wearing the golf look in and out of our store, and believe it or not, these same people are still buying and wearing kilts with tassles, and even woven shoes for that sockless look...but the squarer toe thing is not a big hit with men in Atlanta, except for those under the age of 35 mostly. Kenneth Coles and the likes of that styling just did not catch on all well here except for the mall shopping guy. We believe it or not still do a hefty business in white bucs, and saddle shoes in colors, so it must be a regional as well as age style difference.