• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gold Jewellery

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a gold wearing person by choice. I find it can look cheap easily, and it can make one look to try-hard.

However, I find myself in possession of a necklace and ring that are both gold. The ring is something that will never come off. (It's gold, kinda ugly, and large....I have gigantic hands. Size 11 fingers) It's my university graduation ring, and unlike most college/uni rings, it's a huge part of the university experience. Of my graduating class of 1200 people, only 2 didn't buy one. It's a long standing tradition and something that I couldn't give up. (The day we receive it is a larger celebration than the actual graduation).

Now my necklace is a very thin and tasteful piece. It was given to me by my father in remembrance of a family member who died, and it's a family tradition now. Since receiving it I've only taken it off a couple times (Hockey injuries = trip to the doc). It's not seen if I'm wearing a suit or something with a higher collar, but with t-shirts and sweaters it's evident.

I'm just wondering how this changes the way I can dress. I have no intention of ever buying a gold watch, yet I do need a formal watch eventually. How can gold and silver(or other options?) mix? What type of clothing/colours should I avoid? Anything that I should actively look for in clothing to make them look better?

Cheers, and thanks!

(tl'dr: I wear a gold ring/necklace. What goes with it?)

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm anti-jewellery in general, but if you want to make it work I would suggest looking at Rolex watches. They've made a dual metal band (gold and silver) into a very acceptable look.

I can't offer much in the way of clothing choice, but I would have thought its more about staying understated. If you've got bling shirts and bling ties, then adding extra bling isn't going to help.

a pine tree

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but rings (other than wedding rings) make me think of Ali G

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
I love rose gold watches on a brown strap, especially those vintage ones. I think it's a very classy look.
I used to hate rose gold until I tried on a watch in rose gold with a brown strap. It looked great on me, so ended up buying it. I love it. It's my casual/sportswear watch but I still prefer my dress watch in yellow gold.

Reaction score
gold is expensive. only reason i don't go gold. otherwise i'm fine with it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.