• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gold dress watch for about $2,000

latkaguy

Reaction score
I am beginning the search for a gold men's dress watch for about $2,000. I tend to prefer a leather to a metal band, and like something with more of a classic, traditional look - yearn for a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso, but even a used one is way beyond my means. Is a new, quality gold watch available at this price point? Would like some input from mavens here before I start my search in earnest.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by latkaguy
I am beginning the search for a gold men's dress watch for about $2,000. I tend to prefer a leather to a metal band, and like something with more of a classic, traditional look - yearn for a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso, but even a used one is way beyond my means. Is a new, quality gold watch available at this price point? Would like some input from mavens here before I start my search in earnest.

Solid gold or plated? Hamilton makes many dressy watches in rose or yellow plate gold for $500-$2000. I believe the plating these days is thick enough that you don't have to worry about it wearing out anytime soon. Look up the Jazzmaster line.

Frihed89

Reaction score
Baume Mercier, Maurice laCroix, and Frederique Constant have a wide range of classic watches in a variety of price ranges, starting under $1000 for quartz watches. The quartz Phase du Lune Chrono in their Cllasiques line (LC1148 SS001-130) is among my favorites, and it looks evry bit like a watch priced twice as much

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longines Flagship re-issue (ref: L4.746.8.72.0). A classic dress watch from a classic company. A few hundred over your price point, but well worth the few extra bucks.

flagship.jpg

Captain Winky

Reaction score
At any given price range for watches, you have to keep the following in mind: every dollar you spend for precious metals/stones is a dollar less you are spending on the quality of the movement.

In the all-gold category there is the Tissot Helvetia and Baume Hampton Classic can be had new for under $2k but it's quartz. Probably wouldn't spend that on quartz, though it may be the look you're going for.

The Baume Mercier Classima can be had for about $2k, it's a gold automatic but it's round.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/baum...ives-8659.html

Stay away from plated watches, they'll look like **** after a short time.

Others I'd consider at the Baume Hampton and IWC Portofino in stainless with mechanical movements. I'd always opt to spend my money on better mechanics/construction but you and I may have different priorities.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captain Winky;3917757 said:
At any given price range for watches, you have to keep the following in mind: every dollar you spend for precious metals/stones is a dollar less you are spending on the quality of the movement.
/QUOTE]

+1

I'd go for a fine movement in a steel case over a standard unadorned ETA in a gold case.

At that price in gold I'd definitely go vintage 1940s-70s. You should be able to get a much finer movement for that price point. You might even be able to get one of the finer makers too. I haven't priced vintage pieces in a long time, so I can't comment on particular brands, but Omega from the 50s can be found under $1000 and Longines under $500. They may be gold filled, though. You might be able to find an IWC or JLC at the $2000 price point if you search enough.

JRSmithson

Reaction score
I just lost out on a mint 14k GP (1960s) on EBay...it went for below $1000....a gift at this price IMO.
I would check there.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage is a good way to go. Be careful on ebay, however. I've seen a lot of "frankenwatches" made from mismatched movements, cases, crowns, dials and hands. If you don't know what you are buying and the seller, stay away.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just throwing out food for thought. Are you determined on gold or have you considered pink gold. IMHO, pink gold looks much better and a bit less old fashioned.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky

+27

jblazing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
+27

Sure, but that's OK, because with a $150 Seiko Auto, you are getting a pretty solid movement and for $10, you can get a Japanese Quartz.

If the OP prefers gold > fancier auto, that's fine and his watch will still be very (quartz) or decently (auto) accurate.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NYCESQ

Reaction score
I would recommend that you take a look at the Concord Deliriums. They are being closed-out all over the internet for very substantial savings off of the MSRP. For under $2,000, you can purchase a very nice looking gold watch with Swiss quartz movement. For an extra few hundred, you can get yourself an automatic or mechanical model which also happens to be slightly larger than the quartz model. Last year I purchased a delirium complication and I am very happy with it.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at Raymond Weil? Their Don Giovanni Cosi Grande looks similar to the JLC Reverso. Here are a couple of examples -- I believe their Tango collection also has similar looking watches, but those are usually quartz (not sure if you had a preference).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads