• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gold and skin tone

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any rules/guidelines on matching gold to skin tone akin to the color matching that Flusser demonstrates in Dressing the Man? I have typical East Asian coloring and generally wear white gold (or stainless steel) for jewelry, including watches. Can I successfully wear yellow gold or pink gold?

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Depends on how you want accessorize your gold. A watch should be no problem but if you want gold teeth...

As long as you keep it simple and clean, then you should do no harm.

ragdoll

Reaction score
C
When I was in Singapore earlier this year I was told to wear less platinum and white gold (for watches) and switch to yellow or pink gold because of my dark skin.
Having tried it out I would agree with the watch dealer in Singapore. With brown skin, pink or yellow gold looks better than platinum and reflects the popularity of yellow gold in much of Asia. Having grown up in the US, I always thought that yellow gold looked gaudy but in small amounts it suits me better.

My wife who is white looks much better with platinum or white gold.

Don't know what would look best with your skin.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm suprised no one said tie clasps as well

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Skin tone should not be a problem for watches or cuff-links (the only jewelry item a gentleman would wear). Don't let skin tone stop you from wearing any fine watch or great set of cuff-links.
I think some people (Caucasians of certain pallors, mainly) look really sickly wearing certain colors of gold. I can't quantify it, but I know light yellow and yellow gold looks bad against my skin unless I get really tan. I see some men wearing jewelry that makes them look paler than necessary, and it's (disproportionately) off-putting to me for some reason. Maybe I had a bad experience with a pale, yellow-gold wearer in my childhood.

It's a lot like being washed out by certain bold colors of clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads