• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gold and silver. Discuss

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seems like PMs should be going up now to me. Catastrophe, uncertainty, revolution, war, these are things that drives money to them. I think this is just panic selling. JMHO

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Seems like PMs should be going up now to me. Catastrophe, uncertainty, revolution, war, these are things that drives money to them. I think this is just panic selling. JMHO
Part of it is. Some of it is profit taking. I thought about doing a bit of that myself and decided against it. I also think some of it is necessity in order to fund rebuilding in Japan. Depending on how it goes this week will determine whether or not I stick with my normal weekly buy or add more to the pot and take advantage of the drop.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, more need for materials, and higher inflation coming. I'm not being shaken out. But, I am rather stubborn. I'll hold a losing position for years until it comes back around. Did that with NOV, would have no problems with silver and gold, not that I think I'll lose 66% on that like I did NOV for 2 years before I recently made all my paper profits back on it.

edit: Hell, when I was holding International Steel Group, Inc. a few years back, there was an over 10% drop in share price one day for no reason at all. Lots of people got stopped out and/or bailed, but I held on. The next business day it was announced ISG was being bought by Mittal Steel, and I ended up with a very nice profit.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, more need for materials, and higher inflation coming. I'm not being shaken out. But, I am rather stubborn. I'll hold a losing position for years until it comes back around. Did that with NOV, would have no problems with silver and gold, not that I think I'll lose 66% on that like I did NOV for 2 years before I recently made all my paper profits back on it. edit: Hell, when I was holding International Steel Group, Inc. a few years back, there was an over 10% drop in share price one day for no reason at all. Lots of people got stopped out and/or bailed, but I held on. The next business day it was announced ISG was being bought by Mittal Steel, and I ended up with a very nice profit.
In PMs I have so much silver that's been bought at 5 to 6 bucks an ounce that I really don't care about what some would call a huge price drop. I've been sitting on some of this for 2 decades and will sit on it another decade if the bottom fell out of the market today. Oh and I'll just keep right on buying no matter what goes on. DCA is a wonderful thing. Javyn, I'm seriously looking at Palladium right now. It's taken a major hit and if it keeps falling like a rock I'll suspend my Gold buying for a bit and play with it. you might want to consider it yourself.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm a paralegal, not a lawyer. Palladium is a bit too rich for my blood
smile.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm a paralegal, not a lawyer. Palladium is a bit too rich for my blood
smile.gif

LOL. Palladium is the 700 an ounce cousin to Platinum which is the expensive stuff.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh yes, that's right. Let me amend my previous statement, I am an ILLITERATE paralegal haha.

I'll check out palladium, see if it's as pretty and shiny as silver.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
35oz? Wow a baller
smile.gif

Never really thought of myself as a baller, but I'll take it :).

mikeman

Reaction score
Looks like we had a nice ending to the week! Silver up 3.07%. Hoping next week is a good one as well.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
Looks like we had a nice ending to the week! Silver up 3.07%. Hoping next week is a good one as well.
Good enough for me to do a serious buy of Silver Gold and Palladium.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Busy weekend, haven't had time to jump on anything, not even my girl
frown.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Busy weekend, haven't had time to jump on anything, not even my girl
frown.gif

That sucks. It looks like my hunch paid off on Palladium and it looks like Silver and Gold is doing well as well.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kinda torn here. Was going to sell off my oil service stock to buy some bullion, but the stock is running. Trying to figure out how I'm going to time this. heh.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda torn here. Was going to sell off my oil service stock to buy some bullion, but the stock is running. Trying to figure out how I'm going to time this. heh.
Yeah, I know what you mean

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads