1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gold and silver. Discuss

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Valproate, Feb 20, 2011.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Feh, my weekend was a bust. Met up with a guy claiming to have 60 lbs of junk silver for sale, way below spot. Wasted half a day driving only to find out all he had was 60 lbs of wheat pennies and buffalo nickels.

Looks like the price of silver is ranging now anyway, so I'm not in the terrible hurry I was in before. Going to try again this weekend still though.

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Feh, my weekend was a bust. Met up with a guy claiming to have 60 lbs of junk silver for sale, way below spot. Wasted half a day driving only to find out all he had was 60 lbs of wheat pennies and buffalo nickels. Looks like the price of silver is ranging now anyway, so I'm not in the terrible hurry I was in before. Going to try again this weekend still though.
    LOL, I learned that lesson the hard way too. Now I specifically ask what they got, date ranges and face value amounts.

3. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Nice move today. Hopefully we will see 40 shortly.
    Javyn, were you ever able to buy some silver?

4. scientific

scientific Senior member

are you silver guys familiar with SLW? buying physical at this point in the game is a mistake IMO. essentially you're playing for a fixed piece of the pie at end game and using leverage at this point should get you a bigger slice down the road.

OTOH SLW has been underperforming lately, maybe I'm missing something as I haven't done full DD - do they share energy costs? I've been interested in implementing the "Paulson Plan" (gold fund) for max leverage but producers in general have performed like PoS

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

What do I think? Well ... if it goes any higher and I'm going to have to install cameras to make certain the dinner guests don't go home with the silver. That's what I think.

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

Just ordered a Monster Box of Eagles.

7. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Real Estate ... while it's cheap. I've been buying, and buying, and buying some more.

nice work if you can get it.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

http://www.silverkeiser.net/

Yay Silver Keisers restocked today!!! 5 oz rounds already sold out.

Just ordered three 1 oz rounds. I can immediately flip them on ebay for spot price x 2.

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Just ordered a Monster Box of Eagles.
    Dang dude, are you trying to catch up to me or what? LOL.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Dang dude, are you trying to catch up to me or what? LOL.

Well half a box actually, going in halfsies w/ my bro [​IMG]

11. javyn

javyn Senior member

Silver spot now 40.39.

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

Silver spot now 40.39.
    Wonder what ol' Bunker Hunt is up to?

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Wonder what ol' Bunker Hunt is up to?

Probably hanging out with his buddies at the John Birch Society

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

Probably hanging out with his buddies at the John Birch Society
    I thought they were too liberal for him.

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Nearly 41 bucks an ounce for Silver. Gotta love it. Gold looks like it might run so I might buy another brick.

16. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Awesome week for silver! Would you guys eve go all in PMs? I don't have much capital at all. And only hold some AAPL shares. So, I guess what Im asking is, would it be very unwise to put that money into silver, even at 40/oz?

17. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Awesome week for silver! Would you guys eve go all in PMs? I don't have much capital at all. And only hold some AAPL shares. So, I guess what Im asking is, would it be very unwise to put that money into silver, even at 40/oz?
    Remember to not keep all your eggs in one basket. With that said it all depends on how old you are, risk tolerance and so on. I've been known to be in PMs only several times over 30 some odd years. Now that I'm older I'm very much diversified across stocks, PMs and real estate. Currently I'm heavily buying PMs but my DCA is so low I can weather out a nearly complete collapse of the PM market and still show a healthy profit. PMs are traditionally a medium to long term investment. Always remember that and you'll be OK.

18. oman

oman Senior member

someone who manages a precious-metals trading company in dubai told me that 50% of silver gets expended on industrial uses, as opposed to 2-3% of gold... is this true?

19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

someone who manages a precious-metals trading company in dubai told me that 50% of silver gets expended on industrial uses, as opposed to 2-3% of gold... is this true?
    Depending on what you call industrial uses 50% would be on the low side. Industrial gold use accounts for around 10 percent of current gold production.

20. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'd like to go all in, but don't have the guts lol. I've been waiting for a pullback that never came so I finally just went in halfsies on that monster box at 39 dollars and said hell with it. Glad I did.

I have a considerable amount of money in silver now (bullion).

But I have an equal amount in cash sitting in my core acct ready to go long on ZSL at a moment's notice should silver turn against me.