Going without a home phone and switching to cell only

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rnoldh, Jun 27, 2008.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I've been condidering turning off my home phone line recently. Not so much to lessen bills( though, that is always a good thing) as for convenience.

I've noticed that many people, especially younger people are using just a cell phone.

The advantages to me are convenience of just one phone #, and the ability to take the cell phone # wherever you go (though I don't plan on moving anytime soon).

I can see where this would be a no brainer for a college student or someone that moves around a lot and certainly for people without kids at home.

If someone was in the midst of raising a family and had a wife and kids still home I would think a home phone would be a good idea.

But, my situation is, single, kid grown, live alone, and I don't plan on moving anytime soon.

I will admit that I've never had a PDA and I've become enamored of the i-phone and the better Nokia PDA's and if I switch to a cell phone only mode I would get one of those.

What are your experiences? Are you younger and have never had a home phone? Do you still have both home and cell phones? Did you have both and switch to cell phone only?

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I only have a cellphone. I remember when we were kids we had a house phone, and my dad had the only cellphone. I think pretty much a year or sooner after everyone in the house got their own cellphone (probably 5 years ago) we dropped the landline. Seemed like a useless expense, since we all had our own phones.

Don't really feel like we're "missing anything" by not having a phone. Actually, I can't say I've noticed any differences at all in the time since we turned our landline off.

3. celery

celery Senior member

No real reason to have both. You have voice mail on cell phones and can turn them off whenever you want. Very rarely have I seen people unplug their home phone so that they can't be bothered.

I have a PDA with windows mobile and it's pretty awsome. You have excel, word and power point, as well as document / image viewer, appointment planner and so on.

I say drop the home phone for a while and see if you really notice a difference.

4. Skip87

Skip87 Senior member

My house phone has a thick layer of dust on it... actually it doesn't because my house is clean, but I don't remember the last time I touched it.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I keep a home line for a few reasons.

First, to fax documents from home.

Second, my BB is a work phone and that number is widely circulated. I turn it off at night and I regularly have idiots leave idiotic v-mail through the night. I like when they get huffy I don't pick up.

Lastly, I want a # only my friends and family have, so when it rings, I know it's not work.

6. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

First, to fax documents from home.

This is my reason as well. I also have DSL so I need a phone line.

Cell service was not working in my city during 9/11. My land line provides a nice backup in the event that happens again.

7. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I've been land-lineless for about four years and haven't missed it.

If I need to fax I scan to .pdf and email instead.

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I only have a cellphone. I remember when we were kids we had a house phone, and my dad had the only cellphone.

Ah, youth. When I was a kid, there were no cell phones....

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not even the Zack Morris? That must have been, like, a hundred years ago.

10. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Ah, youth. When I was a kid, there were no cell phones....
    Cars didn't exist either!

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Cars didn't exist either!

And we powered our computers with hamster wheels. [​IMG]

12. Fulcannelli

Fulcannelli Senior member

although i have a land line, just get yourself a SIP number and leave your PC on for home use

13. DNW

DNW Senior member

I keep a home line for a few reasons. First, to fax documents from home. Second, my BB is a work phone and that number is widely circulated. I turn it off at night and I regularly have idiots leave idiotic v-mail through the night. I like when they get huffy I don't pick up. Lastly, I want a # only my friends and family have, so when it rings, I know it's not work.
    1. Physically faxing a document is a thing of the past, man. With all the web-based faxing services available, there's really no need for a home fax (but you do need a scanner for faxing physical documents, though). I've done all my faxing/receiving from my laptop using trustfax.com. It's fantastic. 2. You could have two lines going to your BB. If you don't want a line open, just turn it off, no? I had a land line at my old apartment because my roommate was making a lot of international calls. I used it exactly once, to make an international call. Other than that, I don't even answer calls from that phone.

14. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Far better to get a VOIP line for international calls, FYI.

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Been on the cell only plan for a lot of years now. A copper line price for what my cell plan offers is ridiculous.