• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

going with the flow

wilson brother

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
467
Reaction score
2
I like to go with the flow like today..I went to have some soup on the street and found one hair inside the bowl.

This is disguisting I know- but I didn't want it to mess up all my day and I was hungry..so I just removed that hair and enjoyed my soup..I never even told the lady.

I don't think its ever right to find this in your soup- but this was a simple place on the street..so I went with the flow


I guess this is my philosophy to life.


-Danny Wilson
 

VMan

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
5,105
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by wilson brother
I like to go with the flow like today..I went to have some soup on the street and found one hair inside the bowl.

This is disguisting I know- but I didn't want it to mess up all my day and I was hungry..so I just removed that hair and enjoyed my soup..I never even told the lady.

I don't think its ever right to find this in your soup- but this was a simple place on the street..so I went with the flow


I guess this is my philosophy to life.


-Danny Wilson


It's just a hair, things like this happen. I never complain about things like this at a restaurant - unless it was something like a finger in my salad.
 

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,527
Reaction score
5
Most chefs prepare food with their bare hands. I can never see why a hair is such a big deal.

Good philosophy nevertheless.
 

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
11,997
Reaction score
842
It could be a hair from their armpit, it could be a hair from their groin area. The thing is you dont know what kind of hair it is. Has the hair been cleaned in the past few weeks? Why arent they using gloves to prepare the food and wearing a cap? The main issue is, if one could be careless enough to let their hair fall into the food they want others to eat, what else could the be careless enough to let get into the food?


Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Most chefs prepare food with their bare hands. I can never see why a hair is such a big deal.


I dont suppose you'd find a finger nail in your soup a big deal then?
 

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,527
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Why arent they using gloves to prepare the food and wearing a cap?

You'd be hard pressed to find a chef who wears gloves at any decent restaurant. A hair doesn't bother me much because we humans shed hair and skin every day. A fingernail, on the other hand, doesn't come off by itself. If you think wearing gloves and a cap signifies cleanliness, just pop by any local fast food restaurant. They give you the illusion of cleanliness, which is often time necessary because the place is anything but clean.
 

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
2,581
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You'd be hard pressed to find a chef who wears gloves at any decent restaurant. A hair doesn't bother me much because we humans shed hair and skin every day. A fingernail, on the other hand, doesn't come off by itself. If you think wearing gloves and a cap signifies cleanliness, just pop by any local fast food restaurant. They give you the illusion of cleanliness, which is often time necessary because the place is anything but clean.

Yeah, the gloves are meaningless -- they actually make things less hygenic, because the worker is less likely to remove them when they should, or to wash their hands. If they need to wipe the sweat off their brow or tie their shoelace, do you think they're going to take the trouble to take their gloves off? No they bend down, tie their shoe (whose laces have been flapping around on the dirty floor and been trod on by the dogshit-covered shoe sole), and then finish prepping your sandwich. Bon appetit!
 

VMan

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
5,105
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Why arent they using gloves to prepare the food and wearing a cap?

This is one rationale that I never understood.

Way back when, I used to work in a deli. We were required to wear gloves. However, some employees would go for two or three hours (if we were quite busy) wearing the same pair of gloves, all the while handling food, spoons, touching counters, using the scale, etc. with their gloved hands.

It was a real pain in the ass to wash your hands while wearing gloves, because inevitably water would sneak inside and become very annoying.

I made the arguement that it would be much more sanitary to do without the gloves and wash your hands every 15 minutes or so (really not that hard) rather than go for up to a couple of hours while wearing the same pair of gloves, but nobody else saw it that way. They saw gloves as some magical barrier that could never get dirty or germy.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by wilson brother
I like to go with the flow like today..I went to have some soup on the street and found one hair inside the bowl.

This is disguisting I know- but I didn't want it to mess up all my day and I was hungry..so I just removed that hair and enjoyed my soup..I never even told the lady.

I don't think its ever right to find this in your soup- but this was a simple place on the street..so I went with the flow


I guess this is my philosophy to life.


-Danny Wilson


I'm sure Ken Pollock would agree with you 100%.
 

Flame

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,700
Reaction score
56
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I'm sure Ken Pollock would agree with you 100%.
I could see a paragraph long rant about the incompetence of US food workers.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by Flame
I could see a paragraph long rant about the incompetence of US food workers.

Paragraph? I was thinking a novel along the lines of 'The Jungle'
 

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
14,516
Reaction score
232
Boys........that's just not nice!!!!!!
 

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
24,254
Reaction score
10,199
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
This is one rationale that I never understood.

Way back when, I used to work in a deli. We were required to wear gloves. However, some employees would go for two or three hours (if we were quite busy) wearing the same pair of gloves, all the while handling food, spoons, touching counters, using the scale, etc. with their gloved hands.

It was a real pain in the ass to wash your hands while wearing gloves, because inevitably water would sneak inside and become very annoying.

I made the arguement that it would be much more sanitary to do without the gloves and wash your hands every 15 minutes or so (really not that hard) rather than go for up to a couple of hours while wearing the same pair of gloves, but nobody else saw it that way. They saw gloves as some magical barrier that could never get dirty or germy.

I'm no expert, but I imagine that in some areas glove might be dictated by local health codes.
 

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
14,516
Reaction score
232
I think the gloves are actually to "protect" the diners from catching whatever it is oozing out of the sores on the food-prep dude's hand.
 

VMan

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
5,105
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I'm no expert, but I imagine that in some areas glove might be dictated by local health codes.

Right, they are, but it seems as though the code is in place to ease the mind of the consumer than to actually do a whole lot of good.
 

wilson brother

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
467
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
It's just a hair, things like this happen. I never complain about things like this at a restaurant - unless it was something like a finger in my salad.

I hope that never happens to either of us..but in the US you couldn't you have a sweet lawsuit?
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
426,083
Messages
9,164,843
Members
192,522
Latest member
ehsanch

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top