1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

going with the flow

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by wilson brother, Jul 30, 2006.

1. wilson brother

wilson brother Well-Known Member

I like to go with the flow like today..I went to have some soup on the street and found one hair inside the bowl.

This is disguisting I know- but I didn't want it to mess up all my day and I was hungry..so I just removed that hair and enjoyed my soup..I never even told the lady.

I don't think its ever right to find this in your soup- but this was a simple place on the street..so I went with the flow [​IMG]

I guess this is my philosophy to life.

-Danny Wilson

2. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I like to go with the flow like today..I went to have some soup on the street and found one hair inside the bowl.

This is disguisting I know- but I didn't want it to mess up all my day and I was hungry..so I just removed that hair and enjoyed my soup..I never even told the lady.

I don't think its ever right to find this in your soup- but this was a simple place on the street..so I went with the flow [​IMG]

-Danny Wilson

It's just a hair, things like this happen. I never complain about things like this at a restaurant - unless it was something like a finger in my salad.

3. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Most chefs prepare food with their bare hands. I can never see why a hair is such a big deal.

Good philosophy nevertheless.

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

It could be a hair from their armpit, it could be a hair from their groin area. The thing is you dont know what kind of hair it is. Has the hair been cleaned in the past few weeks? Why arent they using gloves to prepare the food and wearing a cap? The main issue is, if one could be careless enough to let their hair fall into the food they want others to eat, what else could the be careless enough to let get into the food?

Most chefs prepare food with their bare hands. I can never see why a hair is such a big deal.

I dont suppose you'd find a finger nail in your soup a big deal then?

5. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Why arent they using gloves to prepare the food and wearing a cap?

You'd be hard pressed to find a chef who wears gloves at any decent restaurant. A hair doesn't bother me much because we humans shed hair and skin every day. A fingernail, on the other hand, doesn't come off by itself. If you think wearing gloves and a cap signifies cleanliness, just pop by any local fast food restaurant. They give you the illusion of cleanliness, which is often time necessary because the place is anything but clean.

6. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

You'd be hard pressed to find a chef who wears gloves at any decent restaurant. A hair doesn't bother me much because we humans shed hair and skin every day. A fingernail, on the other hand, doesn't come off by itself. If you think wearing gloves and a cap signifies cleanliness, just pop by any local fast food restaurant. They give you the illusion of cleanliness, which is often time necessary because the place is anything but clean.

Yeah, the gloves are meaningless -- they actually make things less hygenic, because the worker is less likely to remove them when they should, or to wash their hands. If they need to wipe the sweat off their brow or tie their shoelace, do you think they're going to take the trouble to take their gloves off? No they bend down, tie their shoe (whose laces have been flapping around on the dirty floor and been trod on by the dogshit-covered shoe sole), and then finish prepping your sandwich. Bon appetit!

7. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Why arent they using gloves to prepare the food and wearing a cap?

This is one rationale that I never understood.

Way back when, I used to work in a deli. We were required to wear gloves. However, some employees would go for two or three hours (if we were quite busy) wearing the same pair of gloves, all the while handling food, spoons, touching counters, using the scale, etc. with their gloved hands.

It was a real pain in the ass to wash your hands while wearing gloves, because inevitably water would sneak inside and become very annoying.

I made the arguement that it would be much more sanitary to do without the gloves and wash your hands every 15 minutes or so (really not that hard) rather than go for up to a couple of hours while wearing the same pair of gloves, but nobody else saw it that way. They saw gloves as some magical barrier that could never get dirty or germy.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

-Danny Wilson

I'm sure Ken Pollock would agree with you 100%.

9. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

I'm sure Ken Pollock would agree with you 100%.
    [​IMG] I could see a paragraph long rant about the incompetence of US food workers.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I could see a paragraph long rant about the incompetence of US food workers.
    Paragraph? I was thinking a novel along the lines of 'The Jungle'

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Boys........that's just not nice!!!!!! [​IMG]

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

This is one rationale that I never understood.

Way back when, I used to work in a deli. We were required to wear gloves. However, some employees would go for two or three hours (if we were quite busy) wearing the same pair of gloves, all the while handling food, spoons, touching counters, using the scale, etc. with their gloved hands.

It was a real pain in the ass to wash your hands while wearing gloves, because inevitably water would sneak inside and become very annoying.

I made the arguement that it would be much more sanitary to do without the gloves and wash your hands every 15 minutes or so (really not that hard) rather than go for up to a couple of hours while wearing the same pair of gloves, but nobody else saw it that way. They saw gloves as some magical barrier that could never get dirty or germy.

I'm no expert, but I imagine that in some areas glove might be dictated by local health codes.

13. Dakota rube

I think the gloves are actually to "protect" the diners from catching whatever it is oozing out of the sores on the food-prep dude's hand. [​IMG]

14. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I imagine that in some areas glove might be dictated by local health codes.

Right, they are, but it seems as though the code is in place to ease the mind of the consumer than to actually do a whole lot of good.

15. wilson brother

It's just a hair, things like this happen. I never complain about things like this at a restaurant - unless it was something like a finger in my salad.

[​IMG] I hope that never happens to either of us..but in the US you couldn't you have a sweet lawsuit?

16. wilson brother

Good philosophy nevertheless.

Thank you, but hey- do you have a recommendation what I could call it?

Going with the flowism [​IMG]..now thats too much to say..

17. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I hope that never happens to either of us..but in the US you couldn't you have a sweet lawsuit?

You could, unless you put the finger there in the first place, a la Wendy's finger-found-in-salad lady. [​IMG]

18. wilson brother

You could, unless you put the finger there in the first place, a la Wendy's finger-found-in-salad lady. [​IMG]

[​IMG] I prefer to keep my fingers- I only have 9.

19. wilson brother

( duplicate

20. Dakota rube

[​IMG] I prefer to keep my fingers- I only have 9.
    This requires explanation.