• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to the gym, but weight stays same

LaughingColors

Reaction score
I've been going to the gym now for about 3 weeks. The last week every day except today i went twice. I started taking protein shakes. My weight is staying the same, even though i'm noticing my body changing. I'm 5'8, and its been hovering around 182.5

I'm not eating much, especially no junk food, drinking very less frequently

My calorie intake is about 1100 per day...making sure to spend a full hr in the gym at least.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
gaining muscle losing fat perhaps.

captainmo

Reaction score
Why do you go twice a day? Is the hour you mentioned an hour each time, or an hour total? You should be able to get a good workout done in under an hour. What's your routine? Eating 1100 calories isn't good, unless you are morbidly obese. To increase your metabolism eat more frequently. Breakfast, healthy snack, lunch, healthy snack, dinner, light healthy snack, bed, with a protein shake in there after your workout. If you didn't go to the gym before, you should be able to lose weight if you keep your calories at whatever it was before you started working out.

upoenik8

Reaction score
You must eat much,much more if you're going to the gym twice a day.If you don't eat you'll just be very skinny.And have 7-8 meals per day.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shut up with the 7-8 meals/day thing please....ughghghgjgf

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I go to the gym every day, too, but I still weight 763lbs.

Maybe my scale is broken.

Fatto_in_Italia

Reaction score
It is way more effective to not train that frequently, but let's say 3 or 4 times a week. That way, you give your body some time to restore and to actually grow.
At least that's what I've heard.. correct me if i'm wrong here..

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Assuming you go to the gym to lose body fat, use a metering band to measure your waist. Muscles are more compact than fat and thus they weigh more. If you are losing fat and gaining muscle, your weight will not go down. Measuring your waist is a good way to see if you are actually losing fat.

Also, if you have just recently started working out it's likely that you are eating more than you did befor you started (even if you are not aware of it). A lot of people get more hungry when they start training, because they are using more energy.

LaughingColors

Reaction score
yes, i'm trying to lose weight...lots of the usual weight machines, for 40 min, various cardio for 30 or so- from jumping rope to running

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiscogooner
there's been evidence to show that frequency of meals can matter dependent on what and how much you're eating, in relation to metabolism. http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/321/14/929
Larger meals elicit a greater insulin response. This has been known forever. In terms of weight loss and such it's pretty much a wash...there's a few studies out there that measured even one meal/day. People that ate one meal/day lost weight during the study despite higher insulin and cholesterol levels compared with others who ate more frequently (both were isocaloric diets with identical nutrients).

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the OP would be very happy with one meal a day and 7-8 meals is a bit excessive. If you think of it as your normal 3 meals, and then two macronutrient balanced snacks throughout the day, you can control your insulin response and lose weight (hopefully).

Thats what works for me at least.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads