• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to spend some cash on shirts...what would you buy?

younglaw

Reaction score
I'm still a little new to branching out my wardrobe. I'd like to pick up some slim fitting shirts, with curved tails so I can wear them tucked or untucked. These shirts will not be worn with a tie.

I'm a 38S for suits, RLPL shirts fit me very well, and Brooks Brothers Slim-Fit fit me pretty well. Sorry I don't have all my measurements.

Opinions on what I should buy? I'm planning on spending around $200-$300. I'd like to get at least a couple shirts out of it, hence my avoidance of RLPL.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Head over to YOOX and get Allesandro Gherardi, they are slim, well made, and have nice details.
Or Check Virtual Clothes Horse or Shop the finest for Barba, Isaia, or Finamore.

younglaw

Reaction score
I'm not too far from NY if the deals are crazy there...but I live just outside Boston.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by younglaw
I'm not too far from NY if the deals are crazy there...but I live just outside Boston.

You'd be better off heading up to the outlets in Manchester, VT than NYC.

younglaw

Reaction score
What brands should I look for? Or outlets should I hit? Given what I've described for my needs.

I already have a bunch of brooks brothers so I'd like to branch out, get something of a little better quality. I'm looking to pick up 2-3 shirts.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm exclusive to JAB's travler shirts, they are very low maintence so it eases my ironing. also I like a tailored fit shirt, but they do not always work out for all men. They can be pretty pricy but if you can catch them during a good sale they are well worth it saving you tons in dry cleaning.

younglaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Head over to YOOX and get Allesandro Gherardi, they are slim, well made, and have nice details.
Or Check Virtual Clothes Horse or Shop the finest for Barba, Isaia, or Finamore.

Do they have curved shirt tails so I could wear them untucked as well as tucked? It's frustrating many brands do no include this info.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep and handsewn gussets....MOP buttons....

younglaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
yep and handsewn gussets....MOP buttons....

Hm, unfortunately for my 15.5 neck there isn't much of a selection...maybe I'll try to be patient and hold off until the selection is better...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you love RLPL already and know your exact size, hang out at the B&S forum. at the going rate there, your $200 is probably good for 2 shirts

free man

Reaction score
I got some Piatelli shirts from the Barney's outlet for ~75 a piece. Very nice, quite slim fitting & nice buttons. My favorite shirts, FWIW.

younglaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
if you love RLPL already and know your exact size, hang out at the B&S forum. at the going rate there, your $200 is probably good for 2 shirts
Thanks, I'll keep that as an option. I am new to this though, so if you can think of other brands that you think are a better value for the money than RLPL I'm open to suggestions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics