• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Shanghai

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Sorry, Yang's dumplings are overrated.

Dough is too thick, meat is too large and stretchy. Not worth the wait at all.

For SHENGJIAN I recommend a small restaurant on TIANYAOQIAO Rd, near XUJIAHUI.
laugh.gif

galeron

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies (and the food recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out). As for the shirts, the plan of attack is to make a shirt at each of the price ranges - 1 at the fabric market, 1 at the tailors at Maoming Lu, and if funds permit, either one at wsanford's or Chan's. Are there any non-clothing items I should be getting there as well too?

wsanford-shanghai

Reaction score
FWIW... i recommend you skip the fabric market and maoming (other than chan's). it will be a HUGE headache going to fabric market if you havent been to SH before especially when the weather is hot and humid. if your budget is tight, i would recommend checking out uniqlo shirts for their regular line or the J+ line by jil sander. they are about $20-40. their world flagship store is on nanjing lu & maoming lu. as for non-clothing, there's always DVDs... for nightlife and events check out www.smartshanghai.com. PM me if you want any specific recommendations on places to go or interesting sights to see.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
I was in Shanghai a couple of weeks ago and inquired at Sam's- if anybody's interested, I was quoted RMB 730 for one shirt or three for the price of two. So it's about 86 euros for one or 57 euros per shirt if you get three.
The latter is ok I guess but they refuse to do one first and then the two others, so maybe not a wise choice for a first-time customer.

I was also struck at how there seems to be no shop in the middle price range in Shanghai. Apparently it's either ultra-cheap fabric market stuff (awful by all accounts) or high-street shops with correspondingly higher prices.

I did find one place that seemed promising a bit off the beaten path called Family Affairs Bespoke where I was quoted RMB 450 for one shirt (even if you get just one). Might give them a try next time.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il_colonnello
I was in Shanghai a couple of weeks ago and inquired at Sam's- if anybody's interested, I was quoted RMB 730 for one shirt or three for the price of two. So it's about 86 euros for one or 57 euros per shirt if you get three.
The latter is ok I guess but they refuse to do one first and then the two others, so maybe not a wise choice for a first-time customer.

I was also struck at how there seems to be no shop in the middle price range in Shanghai. Apparently it's either ultra-cheap fabric market stuff (awful by all accounts) or high-street shops with correspondingly higher prices.

I did find one place that seemed promising a bit off the beaten path called Family Affairs Bespoke where I was quoted RMB 450 for one shirt (even if you get just one). Might give them a try next time.

I remember most of Maoming Rd tailor shops charge 800-1000RMB for three shirts. Ain't they in the middle price range?
Anyway, if the price is not the central concern, one would better have the shirt made in some reputable places (like Chans). Simply because I dont trust most of the tailors in SH. It's nothing about their technique but their attitude and sense of style.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
I remember most of Maoming Rd tailor shops charge 800-1000RMB for three shirts. Ain't they in the middle price range?
Only if you're an existing customer, or they agree to do the three shirts one after the other. In my experience few tailors get a first commission perfectly right. I wouldn't want to risk my money on three identical garments from a tailor I've never been to before. If you look at the normal prices for one(!) shirt from most Maoming Rd shops, that isn't middle price range to me.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might also check out Raymond Kiang's Eleganza Uomo. He was formerly with W.W. Chan and represented them on their U.S. tours between 1994 and 2004. I believe his suits and shirts are somewhat less expensive than Chan's (if their prices are too steep for you, not that I would ever wish to dissuade somebody from doing business with Chan).

www.eleganzauomo.com

il_colonnello

Reaction score
late reply...

Thanks for the heads-up on Eleganza Uomo, JLibourel. I'll be in Shanghai again for a few days next week. Not sure if there will be time to have anything made, but Eleganza Uomo seem to have a shop in Pudong, which is convenient as I'll be staying in a hotel there. If I have anything made, I'll report back.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
...better late than never:

0Eleganza%20Uomo.jpg

I was in Shanghai in October and had three shirts made at Eleganza Uomo. Price, if I remember rightly, was RMB 1,000 for all three. Measurements Wednesday afternoon, fitting Thursday or Friday (don't remember), collection Saturday afternoon. I can't take pictures of the other two shirts right now as they are in the other flat.

I am quite pleased overall for a first effort. I'd give both fit and workmanship a B+, relative to what I've had done in custom shirts so far. I had to steer them toward a slimmer waist in the fitting. I'm a little dismayed at the state of the small buttonholes (collar and cuffs) on the shirt in the picture after a few months of wear and washing, but I'm willing to assume that it's an exception as the buttonholes on the other two shirts are fine. Anyway I have the impression (also looking at my other custom shirts from Far East makers) that B+ is the best you'll get in terms of workmanship at this price point.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I didn't go to Maoming Lu but to the Pudong shop as that one was quite close to my hotel.

I am happy enough with this order to try them out for a suit next time. I found only one thread with (fitted) pictures of a Raymond Kiang suit (and they were severely underlit) so I encourage anybody who has had a suit made by "the best bespoke tailor" (according to the label in the back
smile.gif
), to post pics here.

poorlawstudent

Reaction score
The (arguably) most value for money are the fabric market (at lujiabang lu or the one by the bund). Ive had several made for 80RMB each and have been using them for the past 6 months. I machine wash them about once a week and they havent shrunk (noticeably).

Fit wise, they do a pretty good job at copying, so bring a shirt that you like and that'd work.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il_colonnello
no, I'm saying that's what it says on the label:

Eleganza%20Uomo%20label.jpg

Fine, it is legal to say anything on the label here(well, anti-communism not included).

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you know how much they charge for a suit?

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Do you know how much they charge for a suit?

If you mean Raymond Kiang/Eleganza Uomo, I don't remember the exact price they offered me, but I believe it was around 600 euros for a 2-piece suit with three shirts. They made a point of stressing that their jackets are fully canvassed by the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads