• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Seattle and Portland this summer. Ideas?

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
So I'm heading to the pacific northwest for a week this July. Anyone have any must-sees?

tdangio

Reaction score
Food: go to Le Pigeon in Portland. Beast was OK, but I would have preferred another dinner at Le Pigeon. Despite what anyone might say, pass on Voodoo Doughnuts, those things are terrible.

The Oregon coast is really nice and not too long a drive. Ecola State Park and Cannon Beach are right next to one another and are worth checking out. Go down to the Willamette Valley outside of Portland for some wine tasting. The Columbia River Gorge is a nice scenic drive and you can stop at Multnomah falls. Just be aware that parking at the falls can be a major headache on the weekend.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hike up Multnomah Falls. At the top go away from the actual falls and go in the back area, lots of beautiful streams and areas back there.

Not Carl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tdangio
Food: go to Le Pigeon in Portland. Beast was OK, but I would have preferred another dinner at Le Pigeon.

Exact opposite for me...but I guess thats what makes a horse race.

Bunk Sandwiches or Bunk Bar...either/or should not be missed.

puddles

Reaction score
Pok Pok is a can't miss if you like SE Asian food at all. I agree, Beast is great. I love Le Pigeon as well. I visit PDX a couple of times a year, and it's hard not to eat every meal at Pok Pok, but I may just be obsessed.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a huge favor and visit Vancouver and BC instead, or at least include it on your trip. Unless your going to visit friends, I can't think of anything than Vancouver doesn't do massively better than both Seattle and Portland, plus there are plenty of outdoor activities in BC as well.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer Seattle over Portland. I had a brilliant meal at Beast, tragically ruined by obscene amounts of salt, when I was there. Portland's distilleries are pretty over-rated generally and the rest of the town is what happens when a bunch of gawky white hipsters are left to run free.

I'd definitely do Vancouver over Portland. Vancouver has great chinese food, sushi, and women. Seattle has a bunch of great restaurants and bars.

Not Carl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
the rest of the town is what happens when a bunch of gawky white hipsters are left to run free.

Naw, thats what happens when wackass californians move to my beautiful state and attempt their special brand of gentrification.

And seattle over portland? Seriously? So you'd rather your city infested with lame yuppies then lame hippies? Naw, son, naw.

If you liked Pok Pok, you gotta try their new ****, Ping...happy hour is to die for

deejaysoy

Reaction score
Good info in this thread about PDX. I am looking forward to my trip this weekend to watch the OKC Sonics. Just wanted to see if you guys could help me a little more. Thanks!

For retail looks like - PSG, Blackbird, Tanner Goods, Frances May, Blackshop, SAKS outlet

Food - Ping, Bunk, Little Bird, Tasty N Sons, Taro Bravo, and maybe Andina.. Any other absolute places in the Pearl? Good food spot with solid night life, or maybe thats Andina?

Any recs on Hotels? currently staying at ACE, but just for one night. I got it through Gilt and cant extend it. Modera or 50?

Good Street Trucks? Only been to Koi.

Any other must do things?

Not Carl

Reaction score
Bunk and/or Bunk Bar

The Lardo cart on 43rd and Belmont is favorite of mine. Rock shrimp with pork belly, mmmmm

And it's The Woodlands, not Tanner Goods (yet...) and no Blackbird (yet...)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
yeah...skip seattle and spend the whole time in portland.
devil.gif
Portland is awesome.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deejaysoy
Good info in this thread about PDX. I am looking forward to my trip this weekend to watch the OKC Sonics. Just wanted to see if you guys could help me a little more. Thanks!

For retail looks like - PSG, Blackbird, Tanner Goods, Frances May, Blackshop, SAKS outlet

Food - Ping, Bunk, Little Bird, Tasty N Sons, Taro Bravo, and maybe Andina.. Any other absolute places in the Pearl? Good food spot with solid night life, or maybe thats Andina?

Any recs on Hotels? currently staying at ACE, but just for one night. I got it through Gilt and cant extend it. Modera or 50?

Good Street Trucks? Only been to Koi.

Any other must do things?

I think Pok Pok is a must do. They just opened up a mini-pok pok starting...tomorrow. But go to the original. I really liked my breakfast at Kenny and Zukes which is next to the Ace Hotel. Great corned beef hash. As for food in the pearl...andina is decent the first time didn't wow me on consecutive visits as much. Not really a night time hangout but there are several bars in the area (Vault martini lounge, etc). I REALLY liked Pine Street Biscuits (I didn't have much of a wait but that was unusual). Toro Bravo is awesome, as is Tasty-n'Sons. Really liked my "Le Pidgeon" burger at Little Bird. Everyone loves the Screen Door but I haven't made it out there.

For Hotels, I really liked the Hotel Monaco which is a Kimpton property. For budget, I stay at the Paramount which is not as nice as monaco but its on the park blocks and right by pinoeer courthouse square.

Retail: Check out the Lizard Lounge. Blake on 23rd. Winn Perry if they happen to still be open. Maybe John Helmer if you want to check out some walking canes, umbrellas and hats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads