• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Opera for the first time

Macdawgg

Reaction score
Hey Guys-I'm going to to opera this weekend. A friend invited me and the place is nice but I'm at a loss as to what to wear any ideas?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of opera? Peking?

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tons of people wear jeans to the Met. If it's an opening night gala, those are generally black tie. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in, and what the associated social engagements call for. This is, in most cases, a good rule of thumb for the rest of your life as well.

facet

Reaction score
The times that I've been, I wore a suit. There were some who were dressed down quite a bit; but I didn't see any black tie. This was in Vancouver though.

empirestate

Reaction score
Which opera company?

At the Met, the cheaper the seats the more casual the dress gets. Sport coat, nice pants, dress shirt will be fine no matter where you sit. Just look sharp.

Macdawgg

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Casual to an opera? guess times have changed:):)

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't endorse dressing casually to the opera. It's just a common practice.

Dress well, whatever that means to you -- unless of course there is an occasion with required dress, in which case you should follow those guidelines.

Last edited:

Macdawgg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys-Think I'm going with the sport jack and dress slack theme and perhaps a turtle neck but will consider a dress shirt.

Russ_H

Reaction score

Hey Guys-I'm going to to opera this weekend. A friend invited me and the place is nice but I'm at a loss as to what to wear any ideas?

Not strictly clothing, but you might find that good quality ear plugs are useful.

recondite

Reaction score
Unless you have a forward box or orchestra seats, don't forget the opera "glasses" or some low powered binoculars. 3x is perfect while 4-5x works well to excellent depending on your seats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads