• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to NYC, restaurants, shopping?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you got to Peter Luger's (which is in Brooklyn) be prepared --- they only accept cash or the Peter Luger's credit card.  For something a bit closer, you can always go to Wolfgang's Steakhouse (33rd/Park) which is almost identical to Peter Luger's or one of the many steakhouse in the Upper West/East. NYC is not short on steakhouses.
Friend of mine took me to Ben Benson's. Testosterone city, but a mean steak.

koji

naturlaut

Reaction score
Koji, that was a good steak, wasn't it?
I used to frequent the steak house in Empire Hotel (right across from Lincoln Center) called the West 63rd Steak House but it has closed down some 3 years ago. Ben Benson's (52nd/6th Avenue) is the best steak closest to 'Yard. There are some restaurants along Columbus Avenue that are well worth visiting while staying within budget. Of course, you can always stop by Cafe des Artistes or the restaurant at Trump International Hotel on 1 Central Park West, or even Ducasse at Essex House (CP South) if you budget allows. They are all within walking distance.

I used to like Haru, an excellent Japanese restaurant for sushi and sashimi up on the lower 80s and Columbus, but I haven't gone there in a while. I don't think Shun Lee is worth the money, althought you might have a chance of bumping into some celebrities or rich Chinese businessmen. Fiorello (across from Lincoln Center) serves decent Italian and seafood antipasti, while Saphire (two blocks south) serves Indian cuisine like those in London. One place I would avoid like a plague --- the Juilliard cafeteria. You don't want to know why.

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ April 13 2005,07:31) I'm attending a symposium at Juilliard, and I want to know what is in that general area. I won't have a ton of time to roam (which is why I ask for stuff that's in the area), but I'd like to have dinner at some wonderful restaurants and check out anything sartorially interesting. What is in the immediate area around Juilliard that is worth noting?
I'm afraid the pickings are pretty slim in that area. Â Shun Lee is a good, but overpriced chinese restaurant. Â What symposium are you attending, if I may ask? koji
Starling Delay.

PHV

Reaction score
Koji, that was a good steak, wasn't it?
I used to frequent the steak house in Empire Hotel (right across from Lincoln Center) called the West 63rd Steak House but it has closed down some 3 years ago.  Ben Benson's (52nd/6th Avenue) is the best steak closest to 'Yard.  There are some restaurants along Columbus Avenue that are well worth visiting while staying within budget.  Of course, you can always stop by Cafe des Artistes or the restaurant at Trump International Hotel on 1 Central Park West, or even Ducasse at Essex House (CP South) if you budget allows.  They are all within walking distance.

I used to like Haru, an excellent Japanese restaurant for sushi and sashimi up on the lower 80s and Columbus, but I haven't gone there in a while.  I don't think Shun Lee is worth the money, althought you might have a chance of bumping into some celebrities or rich Chinese businessmen.  Fiorello (across from Lincoln Center) serves decent Italian and seafood antipasti, while Saphire (two blocks south) serves Indian cuisine like those in London.  One place I would avoid like a plague --- the Juilliard cafeteria.  You don't want to know why.
At Benson's what are we taking about? $100 for one person?

Wine is what is going to determine whether it's a moderate or Conrad Black style outing, but I doubt a 2 or 3 course meal at even the most expensive places will take you over $150.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(naturlaut @ April 16 2005,10:01) Koji, that was a good steak, wasn't it? I used to frequent the steak house in Empire Hotel (right across from Lincoln Center) called the West 63rd Steak House but it has closed down some 3 years ago. Â Ben Benson's (52nd/6th Avenue) is the best steak closest to 'Yard. Â There are some restaurants along Columbus Avenue that are well worth visiting while staying within budget. Â Of course, you can always stop by Cafe des Artistes or the restaurant at Trump International Hotel on 1 Central Park West, or even Ducasse at Essex House (CP South) if you budget allows. Â They are all within walking distance. I used to like Haru, an excellent Japanese restaurant for sushi and sashimi up on the lower 80s and Columbus, but I haven't gone there in a while. Â I don't think Shun Lee is worth the money, althought you might have a chance of bumping into some celebrities or rich Chinese businessmen. Â Fiorello (across from Lincoln Center) serves decent Italian and seafood antipasti, while Saphire (two blocks south) serves Indian cuisine like those in London. Â One place I would avoid like a plague --- the Juilliard cafeteria. Â You don't want to know why.
At Benson's what are we taking about? $100 for one person? Wine is what is going to determine whether it's a moderate or Conrad Black style outing, but I doubt a 2 or 3 course meal at even the most expensive places will take you over $150.
It was more like 50$ (but that was lunch and without wine). koji

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're concerned about cost, you should probably scratch Per Se from your list. Expect to pay $5-600 pp there.

PHV

Reaction score
If you're concerned about cost, you should probably scratch Per Se from your list.  Expect to pay $5-600 pp there.
I have been to some of the most exclusive, overpriced restaurants in the world, and I highly doubt that a simple 2 or 3 course meal without wine would cost that much money.

If you're getting a magnum of Opus One, then I would expect that between two people the meal would cost somewhere in that area. Whenever I dine out, it is the wine that determines the cost of the meal. When my mother came to Montreal for my birthday, the food itself cost only about $200 for two people, but the champagne and red wine of course pushed it to dizzying levels. If we were to drink wine by the glass, I really doubt that it would have cost us much more. The only other thing that I could think of is obviously caviar. But if you have a caviar free, wine by the glass meal, you aren't going to be paying that much, no matter where you go.

What exactly does this "Per Se" serve that one must pay such exhorbitant prices?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another vote for Picholine. It's been a while since we went, but it is walking distance from Lincoln Center and they serve very fine French food/wine/cheese. Nice atmosphere, too, if you like dining in quiet brownstones.

ord

Reaction score
If you're concerned about cost, you should probably scratch Per Se from your list. Â Expect to pay $5-600 pp there.
What exactly does this "Per Se" serve that one must pay such exhorbitant prices?
Per Se is run by Thomas Keller, who rose to fame with The French Laundry, in Napa Valley. Â According to the NY Times, the tasting menu is $150. Â It's actually not even the most expensive restaurant in the Time Warner Center. Â That honor goes to Masa, a sushi restaurant. Â Dinner there is about $350 prix fixe, and yes, it can exceed $500 per person when you figure in the tax, tip, and beverages.

PHV

Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ April 16 2005,18:09) If you're concerned about cost, you should probably scratch Per Se from your list. Â Expect to pay $5-600 pp there.
Per Se is run by Thomas Keller, who rose to fame with The French Laundry, in Napa Valley. Â According to the NY Times, the tasting menu is $150. Â It's actually not even the most expensive restaurant in the Time Warner Center. Â That honor goes to Masa, a sushi restaurant. Â Dinner there is about $350 prix fixe, and yes, it can exceed $500 per person when you figure in the tax, tip, and beverages.
Fair enough. A la carte meals can be pretty expensive and I did not consider that. I think I'll have a steak at Ben Benson's when I'm there. Might even check out Luger's.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Per Se doesn't have an a la carte afaik, and the prices I quoted included wine or significant corkage charges. Masa is indeed more expensive as my poor expense account knows...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I met the owner of Per Se I said, leadingly, "Wow, you own Per Se? That's a hot new place, it would be great to eat there some time but reservations are hard." He responded, "Well, you definitely should come." So much for that free meal.

PHV

Reaction score
Any good restaurants near the waldorf?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads