Going to NYC, restaurants, shopping?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by PHV, Apr 13, 2005.

1. PHV

PHV Senior member

I'm attending a symposium at Juilliard, and I want to know what is in that general area. I won't have a ton of time to roam (which is why I ask for stuff that's in the area), but I'd like to have dinner at some wonderful restaurants and check out anything sartorially interesting. What is in the immediate area around Juilliard that is worth noting?

2. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Koji would be well suited (pardon the pun) to answer this. It's on the Upper West Side - a few nice places near there include Cafe Luxembourg, Cesca and Rosa Mexicano.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I don't think he would mind the pun; he really is well suited.

Jon.

4. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

For places/restaurants/sites on the Upper East check out: http://www.uppereast.com PeterMetro is right, however, Julliard is on the Upper West at the corner of Broadway and West 65th Street.

5. PHV

PHV Senior member

Uhh ohh, now I've pitted east vs west. Hopefully I'll get signed to a multi million dollar record deal and get to wear large gaudy chains. I don't know my way around New York to save my life. I know where some of the hotels are, but really it's a big mess to me.

6. jekv12

jekv12 Senior member

Picholine is very close. If you go, make certain you leave room and time for the cheese course - one of the best, if not the best I've ever had. The affineur's (sp?) ability to match cheeses to whatever wine you have remaining is extraordinary.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

For NYC restaurants, I would check out Per Se (in Time Warner Center, along with FL the best restaurant experiences I've ever had, ADNY, Gramercy Tavern, for Steaks, of course there's Luger's if you like the style, otherwise there are many other good steakhouses in NYC.

8. PHV

PHV Senior member

Elaborate on this "Luger's"?

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(drizzt3117 @ April 13 2005,10:59) For NYC restaurants, I would check out Per Se (in Time Warner Center, along with FL the best restaurant experiences I've ever had, ADNY, Gramercy Tavern, for Steaks, of course there's Luger's if you like the style, otherwise there are many other good steakhouses in NYC.
    Elaborate on this "Luger's"?
    http://peterlugers.com/ Though it's way too far away from Julliard. Jon.

10. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

If you got to Peter Luger's (which is in Brooklyn) be prepared --- they only accept cash or the Peter Luger's credit card. For something a bit closer, you can always go to Wolfgang's Steakhouse (33rd/Park) which is almost identical to Peter Luger's or one of the many steakhouse in the Upper West/East. NYC is not short on steakhouses.

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

True, although I think PL is the best, albeit perhpas also the most iconoclastic. Their porterhouse is just amazing, and they get ridiculously good cuts of meet. Their wine policy is rather liberal for BYO but their list sucks.

12. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I wouldn't call Luger's the best steak in New York. Don't get me wrong - it's good, really good, but not the best. They only serve one cut, porterhouse, which is lame. Strip ain't bad, but I don't have time for tenderloin. Plus, the neighborhood sucks, the waiters are jerks and I've seen public bathrooms with more ambiance.

Wolfgang's is great (as is Wollensky's, Bobby Van's and Sparks), but for my money the best steak in New York is at The Strip House on E 12th street. The rib eye there is untouchable - plus the goosefat potatoes and creamed spinach are sick. Add to that a great room, a superb wine list (to my untrained eye) and a super waitstaff.

13. PHV

PHV Senior member

Yea, I asked around and Luger's sounds to me as being overated.

How can they be so full of themselves that you have to buy their little Toys R' Us credit card or use cash?

Do they really only serve a porterhouse?

How far is the E 12th street from where I'll be? I could go for a nice rib eye.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

True, PL isn't for people who like to mess around with their steaks and they don't have much for frills, but still the best IMO, Sparks is nice as well, but unless you dine early, prepare to wait even if you have a reservation.

15. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I'm afraid the pickings are pretty slim in that area. Shun Lee is a good, but overpriced chinese restaurant. What symposium are you attending, if I may ask?

koji