1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Aug 10, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Brown is too small time to actually have a physical clubhouse.

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Regarding hotels: The Hotel Belleclaire is unavailable during the dates when we are going. The Park Central is roughly $350 per person more than we are currently spending. The Milburn is a definite possibility, as it is about the same price as what we are spending and has available space during our time of visit. Important point: So... what are the pros/cons of staying at a place like the Milburn, here: http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...image&resnum=1 Versus staying much closer to Times Square, where there are more things closer that we want to see? Here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...image&resnum=1

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Park Central is roughly $350 per person more than we are currently spending.

Wait. What????!!?

Are you talking about this place?

http://www.parkcentralny.com/

That is $350 more per night than wherever else you were going to stay? You have to try hard to pay more than $350 at this place.

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Wait. What????!!?

Are you talking about this place?

http://www.parkcentralny.com/

That is $350 more per night than wherever else you were going to stay? You have to try hard to pay more than $350 at this place.

I meant as a package price with flight and hotel for 4 nights. It's $1200 or so per person, whereas we were looking at around $850 per person.

5. mafoofan

Important point: So... what are the pros/cons of staying at a place like the Milburn, here: http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...image&resnum=1

Versus staying much closer to Times Square, where there are more things closer that we want to see? Here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...image&resnum=1

It takes about 6 minutes (plus walking and waiting time) to reach Times Square from the UWS by subway. You should, of course, see Times Square, but it is a cultural vacuum without anything worth doing unless you want to be stuffed in an immobile crowd of confused and bedazzled tourists caged in by Red Lobster, TGIF, and the Disney Store. Real New Yorkers stay away from Times Square at all costs.

The UWS is a real Manhattan neighborhood where New Yorkers live, eat, and play. It has it's own feel and character with established neighborhood stores and restaurants that people have been going to for decades. It is much quieter than Midtown and downton, and is surrounded by parks (Riverside Park on the west end, and Central Park on the east end). But it's true: if you want to be surrounded by dazzling lights, cigarette smoke, and bars, it is not the place to be. Instead, think tree-lined streets, park benches, cafes, and pre-war buildings.

6. Leffot

Leffot Active Member

My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Best free activities, Walk the Highline, and Brooklyn Bridge. Staten Island Ferry for great relaxing ride past the Statue of Liberty.

Italian - I Sodi (West Village)
    Japanese - Matsugen (Tribeca, Jean George creation)
    Basque - Txikito (Chelsea)
    French Bistro - Pastis (Meatpacking)

I'm a downtown guy what can I say. Have fun, you really can;t go wrong.

7. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Real New Yorkers stay away from Times Square at all costs.

So do you consider yourself a real New Yorker?

8. mafoofan

No. But I suppose you're going to take this opportunty to whine about me pretending to be, no matter what I've said.

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

No. But I suppose you're going to take this opportunty to whine about me pretending to be, no matter what I've said.

[​IMG]

- B

10. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

There used to be an ad for Windows on the World, back after the end of the 1980s, describing what real New Yorkers did and knew of as good values: send their kids to Dalton, shop at D'Agostino (IIRC), and, well, eat at Windows on teh World.

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

WTH would I whine about anything. Do I come across as a whiner? I was just asking. Foo.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Windows on teh World.

A saddening reference.

- B

13. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

WTH would I whine about anything. Do I come across as a whiner? I was just asking. Foo.

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

It takes about 6 minutes (plus walking and waiting time) to reach Times Square from the UWS by subway. You should, of course, see Times Square, but it is a cultural vacuum without anything worth doing unless you want to be stuffed in an immobile crowd of confused and bedazzled tourists caged in by Red Lobster, TGIF, and the Disney Store. Real New Yorkers stay away from Times Square at all costs.

The UWS is a real Manhattan neighborhood where New Yorkers live, eat, and play. It has it's own feel and character with established neighborhood stores and restaurants that people have been going to for decades. It is much quieter than Midtown and downton, and is surrounded by parks (Riverside Park on the west end, and Central Park on the east end). But it's true: if you want to be surrounded by dazzling lights, cigarette smoke, and bars, it is not the place to be. Instead, think tree-lined streets, park benches, cafes, and pre-war buildings.

Ah, I see. This is nice... I guess once we're out of the hotel in the morning, we are out and on our way and it really doesn't matter where we are as long as we're not in Jersey. [​IMG] Would the Upper West Side work well for a stroll in the evening to a cafe or restaurant/something romantic? Would it be better than Times Square (I assume it would)?

Best free activities, Walk the Highline, and Brooklyn Bridge. Staten Island Ferry for great relaxing ride past the Statue of Liberty.

Italian - I Sodi (West Village)
    Japanese - Matsugen (Tribeca, Jean George creation)
    Basque - Txikito (Chelsea)
    French Bistro - Pastis (Meatpacking)

I'm a downtown guy what can I say. Have fun, you really can;t go wrong.

Thank you for the recs. I will look into the restaurant and we will most likely end up doing the Brooklyn Bridge and Staten Island Ferry for sure. What is the Highline?

A saddening reference.

- B

No kidding. [​IMG] One of the few days that I can recall exactly what I did almost to the minute. And at that time I couldn't remember what I had for breakfast the day before (I was 18). [​IMG]

15. mafoofan

Would the Upper West Side work well for a stroll in the evening to a cafe or restaurant/something romantic? Would it be better than Times Square (I assume it would)?

Absolutely. My wife and I like to walk through and along Riverside Park at night. There are dozens of small restaurants in the area. They are not generally as hip or edgy as their downtown counterparts, however.

Times Square is the opposite of romantic.

16. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

a decent day trip is the Dia: Beacon museum. Metronorth train ride from Grand Central to Beacon, which has a decent main street, and a modern art museum. The entire train ride is along the Hudson, which is beautiful. You'd want to confirm Dia is open whenever you take this trip.
    I second this. Be sure to sit on the left side of the train facing forward...if you are there during Peak Foliage, you should not miss this...do not underestimate the beauty of the Hudson Valley. And Beacon is a cool little town-don't miss the glassworks if you go. Be sure to stay clear of the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty on Saturdays...those are the days when the untrained tourists are there. And if your trip is on Columbus Day Weekend, God help you. You'd be surprised though, at how empty they are on Sunday mornings. If you really want to experience Ellis Island, take the damn boat...but other than that I think going to Liberty Island is a huge waste of time. Just look at it from Battery Park...it was designed to be viewed from the harbor, not looking up her gown. I hate it when people come here to visit and waste half a day waiting in line and taking the boat there and back just because they think "it's the thing to do in New York"...the time could be better spent visiting distinct neighborhoods like the Villages, the Lower East Side and SoHo. When visiting Ground Zero, walk down into the PATH station...this will actually allow you down inside the hole itself Don't listen to the snobs who are saying not to see Times Square at night. That would be like telling someone going to Vegas not to see the Strip. It is what it is and is very exciting...just promise not to eat at the Olive Garden or TGI Fridays. Believe it or not, the double-decker red bus tours can be good...but ONLY if you go on a slow day (weekdays!) and you have to luck into one of their better tour guides (which can be tricky). Though you may feel nerdy, the view/ photo ops from the second level is unparalleled and you will see more things in three hours than you could ever cover by foot-and it's a great way to get your bearings. The Roosevelt is a decent hotel and I believe it is a very good location for the things that you want to do. As a matter of fact, my buddy Don Draper stayed there when having marital problems last season.

17. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

This is a good amendment to my post...the Staten Island Ferry is a great way to experience the Statue of Liberty and see the harbor.

18. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

All the beautiful people are in Harlem [​IMG] ... seriously, though, I don't think a trip to NYC is complete unless you go uptown. There are TONS of great restaurants up here... Londel's Supper Club, Mobay, Renaissance... and lots of great live jazz of course. Also home to B. Oyama Homme, probably my favorite men's shop anywhere, and down the block is Hats By Bunn, where you can buy a nice summer lid for the missus.

19. mafoofan

Don't listen to the snobs who are saying not to see Times Square at night. That would be like telling someone going to Vegas not to see the Strip. It is what it is and is very exciting...just promise not to eat at the Olive Garden or TGI Fridays.

I just said not to stay near the area--he should definitely go see it.

Believe it or not, the double-decker red bus tours can be good...but ONLY if you go on a slow day (weekdays!) and you have to luck into one of their better tour guides (which can be tricky). Though you may feel nerdy, the view/ photo ops from the second level is unparalleled and you will see more things in three hours than you could ever cover by foot-and it's a great way to get your bearings.

We're talking about doing this with a couple of friends, and they've been in the city for years.

20. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

The Frick Collection is my favorite NYC museum.

Twotone