• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to make my first purchase of premium jeans, advice please?

CarllraC

Reaction score
I have no fashion sense. Well, enough to know that my dress reflects the fact that I have no fashion sense.

I want to buy a pair of premium jeans at a denim store in the city, because I want to look good.

I am armed mainly with the knowledge that I am thin and most jeans are way too baggy on me. I have a 33" waist; I expect to want to buy 31" jeans and wait for them to stretch a bit.

As far as what's in, a cut that looks good on me, etc, I expect to rely wholly on the salesperson (please let him be a woman or gay or at least know what looks good on guys).

Anything else you'd recommend asking about? Is this a failing proposition and a waste of $300, or can I expect a reasonably degree of success here?

Histrion

Reaction score
Could you tell us where you live, what store you'll go to and what brands they carry?

I, personally, just got into premium denim. I had had issues with jeans being too baggy too, and Sugar Canes 1947's did some good in that aspect.

Perhaps a Nudie jean would be perfect for you, or perhaps and APC New Standard. The latter are far from 300$, more like 140$.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sugarcanes. just get them. if you have a way to get them from japan(and this forum and the other SF(superfuture) should point you in the right direction) they should be under 150$ great jeans with an eye for detail.

CarllraC

Reaction score
I would love to get jeans online but without trying them on I have no idea how they will fit.

I have had wayyy too many experiences with pants that turned out to be flood pants or make me look like a circus clown (baggy on my skinny frame).

Come to think of it, if the jeans will fit best once they stretch out, how will I know, even in the store, if they will fit?? I will barely be able to button a 31" waist.

Ott

Reaction score
first, don't trust salespeople. Especially ones working on commission. You will end up with a pair of True Religions or something equally trendy and overpriced.

second, with no fashion sense, buy a pair that's fairly plain so if you somehow DO develop a sense of style, you can still wear them with whatever.

and third, ignore #1 and #2 and just don't do this. It strikes me as a really bad idea. Go buy a pair of gap jeans, then read this forum and others as well as blogs like the sartorialist until you know what you like. If it IS true religions then go buy them, or APCs, or Sugarcanes, or whatever. You shouldn't drop that kind of money yet. It won't make you look good. It won't get you girls. It won't do anything except waste your money.

nomovement

Reaction score
take a friend equipped with a fashion sense (these guys are everywhere) with you to the city. Hit the discount stores first b/c they'll be able to sift through the crap. Then, go to a nicer boutique and try on everything the salesperson hands you-only buy what you feel good in. $300 should net you 2-3 pairs of denim. If you're worried about the jump from not fashionable to uber-fashionable, buy one pair of raw denim (around $150) and jsut wear them everyday. when people ask you about them, refer to them as your project. problem solved.

CarllraC

Reaction score
Can someone confirm or deny: I want to buy a pair (whether el cheapo or premium) that is a few waist sizes too small, which means that they will not fit me when I try them on in the store, but will only begin to fit me over time as they stretch

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC
Can someone confirm or deny: I want to buy a pair (whether el cheapo or premium) that is a few waist sizes too small, which means that they will not fit me when I try them on in the store, but will only begin to fit me over time as they stretch

Maybe a "few" waist sizes wouldn't be what you want, probably size down 1, and MAYBE 2 depending on the brand

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC

Erm, call me old fashioned, but I like jeans to fit and look good from day one. They might be a little slimmer or a little baggier, depending on what look I'm going for, but I've got to be able to button them up.

Lysol

Reaction score
One word: Levi's.

They're still the standard and most denim lines that the majority of people on this forum hold in high regard aspire to be what Levi's once was. While they might be a shell of their former self due to the supply and demand of a modern society, the 501 is still a good, cheap alternative to dropping $300 on a pair of Japanese dungarees. You can get them in a dark wash ($20), shrink-to-fit ($45), their premium denim line ($100+, i can't vouch for the quality or if they're actually premium) or if you want to spend $200, their LVC line. Don't mess with Gap or Old Navy or any of that stuff if you're trying to find your style. You want a blank canvas and Gap jeans only look "good" on guys with an apeish build not to mention their quality is bunk. I would highly recommend messing around with a pair of Levi's before you invest in some serious cash in something else. If you're like me, after spending a small fortune on expensive denim, you might just turn back to Levi's.

Also, and this is a big ALSO, if you're trying to find out what looks good on you, don't rely too much on your jeans. I see it on this forum and the other SF all the time -- guys basing their wardrobe around their jeans. I can understand this because jeans can be more fun than almost any other article of clothing, but it's really your upper body that people will notice and is what you should put more thought into. You can have the most wonderful hand assembled, Japanese selvedge jeans but when you're wearing it with a band t-shirt and basketball sneakers you're more-or-less just a really expensive version of everyone else.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe you need a personal shopper like the other thread talks about.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Seconding Lysol. Levi's got so many styles, you'll see one right for you. Plus the Japanese brands base their stuff off vintage Levi's (and Lee's, and...Wranglers...?) anyway.

Although, if you've ever been to B(lue) I(n) G(reen), you might decide to get one of their denim and nobody'd blame you. That stuff is so solid!

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
Go buy a pair of gap jeans, then read this forum and others as well as blogs like the sartorialist until you know what you like.

Maybe I'm going to the wrong site, but the sartorialist really just shows pictures with a few comments - mostly from random viewers.
And I rarely see denim on there.
Not arguing with you, just that I like that site but wish there was more to it then a few new pics every day or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads