1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Going to Japan

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by j, May 8, 2005.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Pretend you're like a golden god for a while. In Hong Kong, and even in some parts of Spain, Italy and Portugal, I feel the same way. And in England, for the most part I feel like the hardest dude around, which is saying a lot, seeing that I am a 5'11" 165 lb postdoc at freakin' Harvard. Yes, you will be obnoxious, but revel in your hubris for a little while. Then go see if there are a cool pair of size 33 (true or a little larger), lower rise (max 11") true straightleg (17 or 18 inches from knees to ankles) or slight bootcut (1.5 inches) raw or 1 rinse selvedge jeans in 13.25 ounces or higher weight at Uniqlo for me. Right hand or broken twill is good. Left hand twil, I guess I could deal with. Under $100, (Hopefully under $80) or my ass is grass. Sorry I didn't email my request earlier. But I made up for it by being very specific, no? Anyway, have a great time. See if you can get a niche publisher to publish a book of our Haikus.

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Heh [​IMG] Jon.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Don't forget to check the main Sony building / store out. I heard that they have tons of stuff that they don't bring to the US. Party hard in Roppongi, but don't get into fights with the marines. [​IMG] Jon.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Update. Went to Shinjuku today, hung out, took some video. Breakfast - eggs, toast, vegetable soup, bacon, coffee - 500yen Lunch @ Yoshinoya - beef bowl, onions, rice - 380yen snack - Isetan dept. store food plaza - assorted french pastries - 180-250yen We found some pretty sweet selvege jeans at Uni-Qlo today. J has the details - amazing price. Oh, and Ernest - found an apple for 100yen today. And it was a beauty. [​IMG] -Tokyo Slim

5. hermes

hermes Distinguished Member

you mean you haven't seen any Y10,000 perfectly formed unblemished melons in the wooden gift boxes tied in ribbon?

6. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

Have fun guys. Wish I was there to help you go broke buying the exotic jeans.. How was Denime? Whaddya get? [​IMG]

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

what's the exchange rate now?

8. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

1USD = 105 yen or thereabouts.

9. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

Have fun, man. Korea takes a lot of its fashion cues from Japan, so if this place is any indication, you'll be having loads of fun shopping for streetwear over there.

10. LA Guy

I needs them my precious. Details j., please man, please. Even if they don't match my description completely... I'm fiending. Help a brother out would ya?

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Funny how Uniglo, a brand Japanese denim freaks sneer at like a japanese Gap, gets so much respect in here. BTW nothing wrong with that but I think it contrasts with the comments someone made about A&F getting a lot of respect in Japan...

12. LA Guy

And the GAP seems to get much respect in England. And Energie is seen as a premium brand here but as a garbage brand (especially compared to the premium American brands) in Italy. And wierd little trinkets from some Morrocan market are sold at high end stores here for about the same price the stall could have been bought for in Morocco. The less accessible and mor exotic something is, the more desirable. It's pretty much a rule. Quality, blah. blah, blah, all those things we *want* to hold in high esteem, are ultimately trumped by exclusivity, no matter how crass this seems.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

Same with Edwins. "Foreign" and "different" = "cool," on either side of the Pacific.

14. LA Guy

On a similar note, I've seen Old Navy share shelf space with Paul Smith Jeans and One True Saxon tees in some London boutiques, and Paul Frank t-shirts alongside Prada ones in Italy. Brooks Brothers shirts share shelf space with Isaia and Barba too. Perception, perception, all is perception.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

right, a Japanese friend of mine who is heavily into good denim that owns a vintage store in shibuya/tokyo thinks the Uniqlos are a big thumbs down for those "who dont know better".

personally, i wanna score some good Dry Bones or Sugar Cane jeans next time i am in tokyo or one of my friends comes to LA for a visit. so much good shit over there it's crazy