• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to gym

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gained 20 pounds of muscle in the last two years and I think I've only gone up maybe a half size...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
No.

Huh. That's, um... huh.
confused.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Huh. That's, um... huh.
confused.gif

I don't think it's a significant gain. I still eat like **** and only go to the gym three times per week, max. I was just pointing out that I haven't changed sizes, as far as I can tell.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Often in my condo complex where there is littlemore than a dumbell set; very seldom at a gym.

ashpool

Reaction score
I do it mostly for good health, but I also find working out helps my mind as well. I think clearer after I work out and it also builds consistency and confidence. There are so many reasons to work out.

I'm currently working out at a gym, but I think it's better to do it in my garage with dumbbells, barbell + weight and a bench. There are lots of benefits...

- I can grunt all I want as opposed to in gym (the gym I go to is more or less filled with older folks doing cardio and they and chicks get a little freaked out when I grunt loudly during the last 1-2 reps).

- Change room doesn't smell like cabbage and rotten milk.

- Listen to music without loud headphones to overpower the crappy gym music

- Always open and always available (my gym is empty when I go after work so it's not a big deal)

Also I find running outdoor is way better than on the treadmill watching food network...

zoorado

Reaction score
Thought I'd ask: does anyone here frequent gyms with still rings and the ilk (ie. olympic gymnasium)?

Working out on still rings is a real killer, especially since I'm still working toward holding an iron cross (hope to do dead hang to iron cross w/ elbows locked in the future =P). Interestingly, I'm able to do an almost 1 sec hold of the victorian cross. The additional 1+ seconds for it to qualify in a pro competition would undoubtably take years of further training, though.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gym is mostly weightlifting/powerlifting, but we have rings. Nobody uses them.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zoorado
Thought I'd ask: does anyone here frequent gyms with still rings and the ilk (ie. olympic gymnasium)?

Working out on still rings is a real killer, especially since I'm still working toward holding an iron cross (hope to do dead hang to iron cross w/ elbows locked in the future =P). Interestingly, I'm able to do an almost 1 sec hold of the victorian cross. The additional 1+ seconds for it to qualify in a pro competition would undoubtably take years of further training, though.

I like the idea of doing iron crosses, but my gym doesn't have the facilities. We do have a variety of other ropes and such though, which they have announced they will be expanding soon - gyms in my area seem to be pushing these new "whole body" sorts of exercises. I forget the term they use but it involves stuff like doing push-ups with your hands or feet in free-hanging stirrups, I guess to increase core strength. Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
I have equipment at my home for working out which is much more economical, efficient and cleaner. Working out is great for your mental and physical health. Looking good is nice too.

Here is the cheapest way to get fit.

Pull-up bar,

two chairs for dips

three chairs for deep push-ups

one legged squats

handstand push-ups

weight vest for all above exercises

leg raises

Rookje

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I've gained 20 pounds of muscle in the last two years and I think I've only gone up maybe a half size...
Doubt that, it's very difficult to gain more than 5 lbs of muscle in a year. (Unless you had very little to begin with)

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rookje
Doubt that, it's very difficult to gain more than 5 lbs of muscle in a year. (Unless you had very little to begin with)

not really true.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With excellent training and enough food, a newbie can gain 20 lbs of muscle in a year. After a few years of training, though, gaining even 2 lbs of muscle in a year can be hard.

What doesn't makes sense to me is how someone could gain 20 lbs and not change clothing sizes, unless everything fit very loosely to begin with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads