• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to get one Y William Yu suit and one Gordon Yao suit

spaceman

Reaction score
I've noticed that Yu and Yao have been spoken about in the same breath quite frequently, but as far as I know, nobody's gone into much detail comparing the two.

Now, as always, the disclaimer is that I am in no way trying to see which one is better. I'm only hoping to try both. To be honest, I'm just excited to be getting something done by either of these guys, as I've previously only had suits made by our "family tailor" in Hong Kong, who was reasonably cheap and efficient but not great.

On a hot tip from Fishball, I've purchased 2 different patterns of the J&J Minnis Rangoon line for CHEAP. The light fabrics were perfect for me, as I now live in Abu Dhabi. Still, I didn't have it in me to get any fabric from the Airborne line...

I plan to get a suit done at each tailor shop:

1) light grey. 2-button. High button stance. Very narrow lapels (thinking about 2 1/4"). as soft a shoulder as they'll do. high arm holes. yeah, that kind of look...

http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/ha...tki=907594626?

2) dark blue shadow stripe. (I wanted the dark blue narrow pin stripe, but they're sold out). High 2-button again. Very narrow PEAKED lapels. red lining. red collar melton. Yes, I'm attention seeking.

http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/ha...tki=564756762?

To be honest I'm not sure about the shadow stripe, but they were out of the narrow pin that I wanted. If I don't like it, it may be for sale, and I may just see what the tailors have on their shelves.

so:

1) which suit should I get done where? word on the street is that Yu might have more selection for buttons and trims, so maybe the blue one there.

2) what do you think about collar melton. dare i go for a brown on the grey suit? it is otherwise quite boring.

3) any other advice on details that i should emphasize especially strongly to each/either tailor?

price quote for Yu was a fair bit cheaper than Yao, but both are very reasonable after considering how cheap I got the fabric.

...or do you guys think I should just go to one tailor or the other (likely Yu, as he's cheaper!)

feedback and comments appreciated. I fly in on a stopover next week, then will have 4 mad days to get all of the rest of the fittings in - over new years none the less.

PS. I'll also be getting a pair of shoes or two done, at either Dophen, Zees, or both. Comments and comparisons of each would also be appreciated.

bobbers

Reaction score
Did you end up getting one done by both Gordon Yao and Y William Yu -- how did your suits turn out?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you will have got one from each because it would be interesting to see the direct comparison. Though I usually use Yao (the odd Chan) next time I go to Hong Kong I intended to get one from each of Chan, Yao and Yu to do just this. However the £/$HK exchange rate is against that being this year.

spaceman

Reaction score
I ended up getting both from Yu - was in too much of a rush in HK to go running around to two different tailors. Also, Yu ended up being significantly cheaper - I forget exactly by how much - but enough for me to want to give him a full tryout.

Will try to post photos and a full review once I get around to it.

Ed355

Reaction score
I think you made the right choice by going with Yu and not Yao. I sent Yao some J&J Minnis Rangoon and had two suits made by him. He screwed up the pants big time, and the two suits took six months to produce, with at least 15 fittings. One of the pants is still screwed up, and he admitted to that, though he said there's nothing he can do to improve them further. He's fine making jackets, but the guy that makes the pants for him sucks big time.

mrmax

Reaction score
I plan to visit YWY this week for a new commission. Also want to try them out. Would be interesting to see pics of their work if you have something to post?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed355
I think you made the right choice by going with Yu and not Yao. I sent Yao some J&J Minnis Rangoon and had two suits made by him. He screwed up the pants big time, and the two suits took six months to produce, with at least 15 fittings. One of the pants is still screwed up, and he admitted to that, though he said there's nothing he can do to improve them further. He's fine making jackets, but the guy that makes the pants for him sucks big time.

First time I have heard of that - have had some 17 suits from him without issue.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I placed my order for a CMT sportcoat last week at Yao.
Yea, Yu is cheaper but not much though.
I would like to see how Yu work too. I saw my friend wearing it once, and it look pretty good.
Max, tell me how its go when it is done.

mrmax

Reaction score
Fishball, will do.
My A-man problems have all been worked out, just waiting for the right fabrics for a new order with them.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What fabrics you are looking for?
Show the pics of A-Man suit if you can.
I will compare the sportcoat of Yao and A-Man when it finish. One is LL Bof B, and the other is LL Cooper2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics