• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Germany, help me pick a firm

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To reward myself with my 1000th post at SF, I am going to treat myself a trip to Germany to buy some Deutsche bags. I need your help to pick a firm. So which firm produces the baddest and biggest Deutsche bags? I have narrowed down the choices to four firms (in alphabetical order): KonÃ
00a9.png
mahre
, Josef Pedersen, Soffi and Jo Vann.

KonÃ
00a9.png
mahre
is the youngest of the four firms. It has made some major mishaps and got some bad press recently. Despite its wealthy, privileged and politically-connected financial backer, it still found itself raising money from the public. It's still young and has lot of potential if it can find a no-nonsense artistic director to steer it into the right direction and build some brand characters.

Artistically speaking, Josef Pedersen looks like a chicken running around without a head; it needs to find the right sartorial vision. It has been reported in trade publications that, to the amusement of industry insiders, it keeps asking its outside consultants some puzzling bizarre questions. It vegetable-tans its leathers with some exotic plants with Chinese origin from an Asian tropical country and I don't know how those leathers will fare in sub-zero Northeast.

Soffi has some sophisticated designs and a well put together product line-up. However, I have some concerns about the durability of its chemically enhanced leathers. I find its banner, "Continuously helping you Advancing your Sar"¢to"¢ri"¢us PanachÃ
00a9.png
", a little odd. Something must be lost in translation.

I find Jo Vann's designs funky especially the mushroom-themed line. Its salesmen don't seem to know much but are very eager to offer their advices and opinions whether you want it or not which I could do without. It sounds trivial but I think the bathrooms in its Günzburg flagship store need some major updating.

Which firm produces the baddest and biggest Deutsche bags? Although I am leaning toward one firm, but if the Forum votes are overwhelming I'll follow SF's advice. All votes are anonymous, but feel free to state your opinions, pros and cons of each firm.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jawohl!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure whichever firm you select will be delighted!
laugh.gif

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps my freind Hartmut (from the other site), could add some suggestion.

I will ask for him, there.

not really

Reaction score
The Jo Vann Deutsche bag is no longer available to Style Forum members. Jo Vann markets exclusively through FedoraLounge now.

KonÃ
00a9.png
mahre
has been marketed very strongly on Craigslist recently and is rumored to have connections to Irish Nationalists.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps the very new and edgy brand Vahn Itte of Deutsche bags is to your liking, sir?

not really

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Perhaps the very new and edgy brand Vahn Itte of Deutsche bags is to your liking, sir?

Well if you like a Deutsche bag that screams "look at me".

Frittata

Reaction score
funny I've never heard about something like a Deutsche Bag...

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by not really
Well if you like a Deutsche bag that screams "look at me".

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Degendorff

Reaction score
Was für ein Schwachsinn, wenn man bei "Deutsche Bags" erst einmal an deutsche Taschen denkt... und bei den Namen an verrückte Designertaschen-Hersteller in Berlin.

Interesting thread, von Rothbart, but could you tell me a little bit more about Josef Pedersen? This brand is completely new to me.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Degendorff
Interesting thread, von Rothbart, but could you tell me a little bit more about Josef Pedersen? This brand is completely new to me.
One of the things that sets Josef Pedersen apart is that all of its leathergoods are thoroughly tested for two hours on carpeted surfaces before being certified as fit for sale.

I've heard much of Soffi's work is actually handmade in Italy by the finest artisans. Their new ad campaign features a lot of beefcake.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you consider Wannitseit? One of the latest Deutsche bags around but already widely considered as one of the truest to DB tradition...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads