• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Europe what shoes to bring?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
Yeah they are usually the ones speaking English.
Exactly my point. I have no idea why people feel so strongly that they need to fit in with the natives abroad or change how foreigners dress while local simply so that attention isn't drawn to one's nationality.

Glad to see it doesn't affect you one bit.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
Yeah they are usually the ones speaking English. I can always spot the German students when I am in England. They always have the mullets (and other weird hair cuts for that matter), 3/4 length pants. ...I am not that concerned about wearing khaki colored pants there.

no, they speak loudly in american, wearing flip flops and shorts in 10 celsius. Possibly sport sandals aswell.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For a comfortable shoe, I don't think that the Sperry Bluepoint Chukka can be beat. You can walk all day in it, and it's casual without being a trainer. They're much more practical than Desert boots. I'd get one of those:

shoes_iaec1099692.jpg

Second, if you're going to do a ton of walking, it makes sense to get something that works in the rain. Maybe a lightweight hiking boot that's waterproofed? If you search around, you can probably find a style that's functional but somewhat attractive.

If you dig workboots, then I can also recommend the Thorogood Moc Toe. One of my best customers runs a coffee roastery and travels the world in these things. He wears them to Africa, Indonesia, South America, etc. They look like they've been through a war (in a good way), but still hold up perfectly. Mink oil them, and they're fully weatherproof.

ThorogoodMocToeTobaccoStain.jpg

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
no, they speak loudly in american, wearing flip flops and shorts in 10 celsius. Possibly sport sandals aswell.
dad2a.jpg
I'm sorry, I can't tell if you're defending or criticizing how Americans dress. To the OP, I think those J&Ms are fine but if a lack of waterproofing is what's holding you back on a better style I think I'd choose style instead. I doubt you'll want to your "nice" shoes to take the brunt of bad weather. Maybe look into some sneakers that are both comfortable and waterproof so that they take the majority of the wear.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^like americana, dislike the regular white boy with no taste -look.

DrPat

Reaction score

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^like americana, dislike the regular white boy with no taste -look.

No offense, but that particular pic up top is not very tasteful.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
No offense, but that particular pic up top is not very tasteful.

Oh, the no offense-card, interesting.

Disagree, im a fn bastion of good taste. Or atleast flipflop-less.

a-rock

Reaction score
those sneakers are a bit out there but the idea of some trendy sneaks isn't that bad. pumas, addidas, something along those lines. just don't wear white tennis shoes with lightwash jeans because that'll announce that you're a tourist.

i just took a multi-week trip to france and italy, and purchased a pair of black rockport dress loafers for $50. yeah, not the best shoe but they wear like sneakers which was nice for all the cobblestoned street, and looked more dressy than sneakers. plus it was still winter and i didn't have to worry about the rain. i just tossed them at the end of the trip because i put a good 8-9 miles on them each day for 3 wks straight.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, the no offense-card, interesting.

Disagree, im a fn bastion of good taste. Or atleast flipflop-less.

It means that although the comment is a little offensive by nature, my intentions are not to lower your spirits.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so if you wore white sneakers in europe you are out of place?... what?
instead you wore ugly rockport loafers

that is a sin itself

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
dad2a.jpg

I'm sorry, I can't tell if you're defending or criticizing how Americans dress.

To the OP, I think those J&Ms are fine but if a lack of waterproofing is what's holding you back on a better style I think I'd choose style instead. I doubt you'll want to your "nice" shoes to take the brunt of bad weather. Maybe look into some sneakers that are both comfortable and waterproof so that they take the majority of the wear.

Well I have a couple pairs of brown Sutor Mantelassi, oxfords and loafers...but I do not want to wear them 3 or 4 times a week...and I do not think they would be very comfortable for long walks which is why the admittedly less attractive J&Ms were what I was thinking. I have a whole bunch of nicer more stylish black leather shoes that I do not mind messing up but I am not sure they would be appropriate for summer.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrPat
Here are some examples
http://www.fjallraven.com/Products/Trousers/
http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetai...Pants+Men.html

They won't win too many style points but their functionality and durability can't be beat. Mine have survived falling into a drainage ditch in Turkmenistan, sliding down a mountain in Armenia, and having a lit cigarette dropped in my pocket in Germany.

What color would I get and what would I wear with them?

I like the Mammut ones but what stores sell travel pants because I need to try them on to see if I am willing to wear them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics