1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Going to co-worker's outdoor party: to dress up or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Farmgate, May 20, 2011.

1. Farmgate

Farmgate Well-Known Member

I am thinking of wearing a blue polo shirt and chinos, brown loafers to a co-worker's outdoor housewarming party, to be held in June. I am not that fond of chinos and polo shirts, but want to look respectful and courteous. Am I going "underddressed"?

I like a more fashion forward look with featured jeans and a tee shirt, but with this group, that's not going to happen.

What would you recommend by way of an alternative to the polo look? I was thinking of a fashionable dress shirt, longsleeves, and brown loafers, but is the Polo too casual for a party attended by colleagues and competitors???

Thanks guys!

2. cc3peat

cc3peat Well-Known Member

I would just wear a casual button-down with the brown loafers like you've suggested. I've never found polos to be "dressy" anyways... plus the button downs I own are more comfortable than my polos.

3. WUKILLABEEZ78

WUKILLABEEZ78 Well-Known Member

I would think anything is appropriate to be worn to an outdoor housewarming party in June... I've never heard of anybody ever requesting guests to wear certain clothing for a housewarming party and their is certainly no "proper dress etiquette" for such an unformal event. In my opinion chinos, a polo shirt and loafers are no dressier than jeans and a t-shirt. I say wear whatever you want or whatever the weather dictates. As long as you are dressed neatly and respectfully (no t-shirts with lewd sayings for example) nobody (including any possible colleagues/competitors) could say anything negative. I'd rather be comfortable than try to dress to impress and risk looking pretentious.

4. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

I am thinking of wearing a blue polo shirt and chinos, brown loafers to a co-worker's outdoor housewarming party, to be held in June.

do you work at best buy?

5. Navi

Navi Senior member

i'd just wear something fun like a pair of red trousers and a nice casual sportshirt or something like that. Maybe some suede shoes? I wouldn't go for a polo, just a casual-ish button down. Gotta find the best balance between too formal and too casual, though I'd rather be on the too casual side if it's just a housewarming party.

6. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Assuming that the blue polo shirt is navy and of a reasonably slim fit, I'd suggest you wear that one and couple it with a pair of slim-fit worsted-wool pants in some shade of grey. Shoes are nice and brown, obv.

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Don't overdress...

It will stay with you forever...

It is human nature to resent people especially collleagues for looking good...

Go for a happy medium , chino/jeans with nice shirt...

Bring a jacket and if everybody is casual just leave it in the car.

8. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

In my opinion chinos, a polo shirt and loafers are no dressier than jeans and a t-shirt.

Just cannot agree with this. Polo and chinos are very often acceptable as business casual dress. T-shirts and jeans are almost never.

9. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

Just cannot agree with this. Polo and chinos are very often acceptable as business casual dress. T-shirts and jeans are almost never.

+100

10. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

^^agree with this, in some places (say Florida) a polo shirt is "dressed up". Kind of sad but c'est la vie.

11. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

The khaki/polo is OK, but you run the risk of looking like a BestBuy guy (like someone already said) and even worse look exactly like someone else at the party. But if you have to go that way, make sure the fit is perfect. Slim fit khakis with a polo from Kent Wang.

Or do one of these. I like the one on the left. You can remove the jacket if it's too warm, but have it ready for a pretty young lady if she gets chilly when the sun goes down. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The khaki/polo is OK, but you run the risk of looking like a BestBuy guy (like someone already said) and even worse look exactly like someone else at the party. But if you have to go that way, make sure the fit is perfect. Slim fit khakis with a polo from Kent Wang.

Or do one of these. I like the one on the left. You can remove the jacket if it's too warm, but have it ready for a pretty young lady if she gets chilly when the sun goes down. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Too smart...

That is fine for a garden party or a posh B&Q , not for a colleague outdoor party...

13. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

Go for a happy medium , chino/jeans with nice shirt...

Bring a jacket and if everybody is casual just leave it in the car.

Too smart...

That is fine for a garden party or a posh B&Q , not for a colleague outdoor party...

First you post ''chinos,nice shirt, bring jacket" I post picture of that, and you say "too smart"?[​IMG]

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

Seems more than adequate, likely that dark jeans and tepee shirt will suffice.

"This group" has not been invited s don't worry and wear what you are comfortable in.

15. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

How old are your coworkers and what line of work are you in?

Housewarming for 50 year old fund managers on their new home probably looks a little different from a web designer's starter home housewarming party.

16. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

White skin-tight polo, knit tie, FUBU cargo shorts preferably in green or orange, white socks, black wingtips.

17. Farmgate

Farmgate Well-Known Member

How old are your coworkers and what line of work are you in?

Housewarming for 50 year old fund managers on their new home probably looks a little different from a web designer's starter home housewarming party.

Hi, the co-workers are mostly young commercial litigators, ages 25-45, all with a good sense of humor and conservative taste. The eldest may be 50. I am forty-esh.

18. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

Follow lasbar's advice. Think flexibility and impression. Nice jeans or khakis; long-sleeve, button-down shirt; classic sport coat; casual shoes. That gives you the flexibility to go up a notch or down a notch on the fly. I went to an after-art-school graduation yesterday. I was glad to have followed my own advice.

19. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Go in your least favourite pair of Vilbrequins. Match with bespoke double monkstraps in Easter-yellow ostrich leather. If your nipples are unsociably large, then you may want to add a summer-weight cashmere scarf (in sand colour) to cover them up. Top off with a pair of Dr. Strangelove sunglasses, and if you have the hair to pull it off, you may want to copy Strangelove's haircut too.