• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Bangkok Thailand for a long while. Tailor, restaurant, shop recs? Proxy?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-You can't beat the household goods section at Chatuchak. Great assortments of glasses, kitchenware, etc. Also, the big department stores like Robinson's have some cool items. Also, check out the art section at Chatuchak. I have 3-4 amazing paintings in my home from 2 artists. They will make a custom box for you to transport home.

-Clothing for your "wife"?
It depends on what she is looking for. Siam Discovery(next door to Siam Paragon) has more of a boutique feel. Same with Terminal 21.

-Sights?
*Have you taken a day trip to Ayutthaya? Very easy to do. Take the train and then hire a tuk-tuk for the day.
*Saxophone Jazz bar.
*Lumphini Park...you have probably been before. Buy a bag of bread inside and feed the fish. Take some photos of the monitor lizards roaming around.
*Cooking class. I took this one 3-4 years ago. Hight recommend. I am not affiliated at all:
*The newer train market behind Esplanade Mall on a Friday/Sat night. Buy some food. Find a bar and sit and listen to the bands doing some cool covers while eating and having a drink.
*You interested in photography? Check out Lucky Home. A huge 2nd hand warehouse that sells camera and other items.
*Golden Bay Leaf restaurant. Get the sliced sirloin Thai style and the green curry chicken.
*Brewski rooftop bar(crafty beer). I haven't been yet.
*Havana Social bar
*Metro Forest Bangkok
*The new Cheap Charlie's location
*Day trip to Kanchanburi
*Viva 8 lounge at Chatuchak market. Sit and have a drink and listen to some amazing music as you watch the people walk by
*More stuff for the home? Classic movie posters at Siam Sq Soi 2
*https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/1604506/a-hidden-gem-in-bangkoks-heart
*The $1.29 all you can eat buffet outside of Lumpini Park. Just Google/Youtube it.
*Ride the new MRT/BTS extensions. Get off at random stops.
*The local market at Nonthaiburi. Take an orange flag boat from Saphan Taksin
*Ancient Siam museum park
*I am guessing that you have visited the Grand Palace/Wat Pho and Wat Arun. Have you been to Wat Saket aka the Golden Mount?
*Soi Rambuttri adjacent to Khao San Road. A little more laidback place to get food and a drink
*Max's Magic restaurant on Soi Rambuttri. Good food and Max will entertain you with some magic tricks
*Boat noodle alley near Victory Monument
*Jack's Bar right on the Chao Phraya River. Have a cold beer and experience the amazing views.

Just a few off the top of my head. If you need more, let me know.

Where are you staying?
Good stuff. Thanks. We went to Most of the stuff in the top half of your list on a prior visit but the bottom half offered new adventures for us.
P.S. Wife thinks Chatuchak is the second best market she’s ever been to. I agree. We’ll spend both of our Saturdays there.
PPS When we were last there we found a 50 best street food book that had just been published. I love that stuff and hit more than half. I assume street food changes regularly. Any recent guides that you are aware of. I’m always pushing for street food but she’s already bookmarked three fancy dinners for us.
PPPS. Gonna split our hotel time to two areas. Khao San area but not Khao San road. Then somewhere on Sukhumvit near Paragon Mall.
PPPPS. Last time we found a place near one of the temples that sold hand-hammered rice bowls to the monks. We also found a place that supplies silverware to many Western stores (Williams-Sonoma, etc) but with there whole arsenal on display. Those are the kind of places I’m looking for.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good stuff. Thanks. We went to Most of the stuff in the top half of your list on a prior visit but the bottom half offered new adventures for us.
P.S. Wife thinks Chatuchak is the second best market she’s ever been to. I agree. We’ll spend both of our Saturdays there.
PPS When we were last there we found a 50 best street food book that had just been published. I love that stuff and hit more than half. I assume street food changes regularly. Any recent guides that you are aware of. I’m always pushing for street food but she’s already bookmarked three fancy dinners for us.
PPPS. Gonna split our hotel time to two areas. Khao San area but not Khao San road. Then somewhere on Sukhumvit near Paragon Mall.
PPPPS. Last time we found a place near one of the temples that sold hand-hammered rice bowls to the monks. We also found a place that supplies silverware to many Western stores (Williams-Sonoma, etc) but with there whole arsenal on display. Those are the kind of places I’m looking for.

PS...I spend every weekend at Chatuchak. I don't really shop...except for art/t shirts. I just walk around and the head to Viva 8 to hang with some local friends, listen to some tunes and have some drinks.

PPS...Nah. I play it by ear when it comes to food. I always stay on Soi 15/Sukhumvit...so very near to Terminal 21. I might stop at the food court for something to eat. I also am a fan of the Swan Bar/Inn down Soi 4 on the left hand side if walking from Sukhumvit. Good food...especially the fish and morning glory. I still am a fan of Talad Nan. Good seafood. I know those selections are not "street food", but good options.

PPPS...always stay at the Dream on Soi 15. Love that hotel and staff.

PPPPS....I will get back to you on this...

Have a good trip tomorrow. Where are you flying from?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS...I spend every weekend at Chatuchak. I don't really shop...except for art/t shirts. I just walk around and the head to Viva 8 to hang with some local friends, listen to some tunes and have some drinks.

PPS...Nah. I play it by ear when it comes to food. I always stay on Soi 15/Sukhumvit...so very near to Terminal 21. I might stop at the food court for something to eat. I also am a fan of the Swan Bar/Inn down Soi 4 on the left hand side if walking from Sukhumvit. Good food...especially the fish and morning glory. I still am a fan of Talad Nan. Good seafood. I know those selections are not "street food", but good options.

PPPS...always stay at the Dream on Soi 15. Love that hotel and staff.

PPPPS....I will get back to you on this...

Have a good trip tomorrow. Where are you flying from?
We’re sitting in the Manila airport waiting for the connecting flight to Bangkok. We were most recently in Palawan, Philippines. Really looking forward to these couple of weeks.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We’re sitting in the Manila airport waiting for the connecting flight to Bangkok. Really looking forward to these couple of weeks.

Enjoy!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viapiani (denim) is no more as the owner has moved back to Canada. He still owns a denim shop but it’s now in Toronto. His stuff looks great but alas not available to me in Bangkok.
Went to Neon Market (meh) and had chicken rice from a joint across the street that was great (Michelin gourmand award). Good start to the fortnight.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Viapiani (denim) is no more as the owner has moved back to Canada. He still owns a denim shop but it’s now in Toronto. His stuff looks great but alas not available to me in Bangkok.
Went to Neon Market (meh) and had chicken rice from a joint across the street that was great (Michelin gourmand award). Good start to the fortnight.

Keep the updates coming!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to Terminal 21 which was excellent. My wife bought a fair amount there. I found a great streetwear/denim shop named Pronto. It has a lot of very hight quality Japanese and American brands. Really good stuff there. Went to IkonSiam and Siam Swiss to look for a watch for my wife. Siam Center and Siam Discovert were fun but we didn’t buy much there. The new (for me) train market behind Escalade Mall was way better than the Neon Market. It had much more personality. Went to OP Place and we have our eye on two items. One is a small silver Garuda and the other was a contemporary fiberglass sculpture. Walked to the Mandarin and had cocktails at the Bamboo Bar. Great atmosphere and very nice staff. Drinks were expensive at $USD20/drink.
Food has been outstanding! We went to a pad thai joint and a clear noodle with crab place. Wow! And as a bonus we ventured into an area to which we’d had little exposure. The crab places (yes, we went to 2) were off the Wangwian Yai exit of the Metro.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was my third day at Chatuchak (twice last week) and once today. I think I hit it all! My wife made a ton of purchases but I just made a few. Pictures later. I dropped by Viva (there are two, right?) but didn‘t see anyone that resembled a Phil Spector. I dropped a couple SF code words (Foo, pents, Carlo Franco) but nobody responded so I’ll have to catch up with Ter some other time.
Hitting my second day of the Train market tomorrow. The train market by the convention center is pretty good but the one way out East (Srinagarinda) is awesome. Very few tourists.
Also hit the 80/20 tasting menu with wine pairing. Here’s a shot of the menu:
F25D2E1C-F77A-4E79-8687-C72CE3958BE3.jpeg

Wife hit up some bespoke silk suits and skirts at Silk Queen
1F2FEC3B-1A94-4EE5-A842-E742835A26F4.jpeg
538359AA-DBAB-465A-918E-A3237F48B88C.jpeg
A5D45E8A-818F-4699-9D63-19E2BA58C568.jpeg
DA90B799-7034-4EA6-AE8F-2CF68A2D8786.jpeg
3B044D23-2D1C-442A-8F71-9CAEAE000BB5.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads