• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to back school to fulfill med school prereqs

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Depends what it's a Ph.D. in. Got one in social work? Sociology? Folk Lore? Not going to impress anyone in medicine (hell, not even most people in the general population). Get a Ph.D. in something useful, and no need for med school IMO.

out of curiosity, what would you consider useful?

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Let me ask you a real question, are you just finding the next highest paying job besides wall street or you have passion in being a dactor? Med school takes a lot committment, I mean A LOT. Law school and business school will be a much easier choice. Also, do you know how in debt you will be when you get out med. school. You can pay it off, but it will take a while.

I do have a genuine interest in human health and medicine. I also have a genuine interest in law. I do not, however, have much of an interest in my UG major (finance), so going the standard MBA route just doesnt feel right. Im really up for anything, though, but since my finance degree has gotten me nowhere, and the market for lawyers sucks, med school is another option that doesnt seem to be at the mercy of the economy the way the law market is. I have to do something, right?

Job market sucks, and you do need to be realistic, but don't limit your life option by going to something you don't like. Also, if US job market really do suck for a prolong period of time, then there is option of going oversea, open your option the world, don't go to med. school just because every other job market sucks and it's the next highest paying job there is.

P.S. on the other hand if you're really interested in being a doctor, by all means, good luck, also as to non-US med. school, I would say forget about Europe, do look at Caribbean though, you can practice in US with a good chunk of the med. program in Caribbean.
Going out of the US isnt really an option. Id love to travel the world, sure, or even do a study abroad program with a US school, but as far as going to school and/or making a living outside of the US, I just dont see it happening. My family and support system is in the US, so am I.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebeatblitz
I hope you realize Duke and UNC are very competitive medical schools (I did my undergrad at Duke). You'll probably need a 35+ MCAT and a 3.7+ BCPM GPA to even get an interview at Duke, but since you're in-state UNC should be easier. First, you need to figure out how competitive you are and go from there. Do you have a 3.8+ ugrad GPA? Can you score 35+ on the MCAT? If yes, then go to an extremely selective postbacc program like Bryn Mawr, Goucher, or a step down like Penn, HES, Columbia, etc. Succeeding in a name brand postbacc gives you a huge competitive advantage because many of them have linkages to medical schools around their region.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/2008mcatgpa.htm will tell you all you need to know. In 2008, the average matriculant had a 3.6 BCPM GPA and a 31 on the MCAT.

I do realize that, and I would say they are competitive for UG as well (as you obviously know). While my UG GPA is not 3.8+, my grades have followed a substantial upward trend throughout UG, despite having little interest in my major. I matured a lot during that time and was deans list each semester of my Jr and Sr year. Seeing that I have a genuine interest in the sciences (and law, of course), and considering the fact that Ive matured even further since UG, I am confident I will do well when/if I go back to school and my BCPM will be very competitive.

Whats your opinion of the postbacc program at UNCG (the only program available in NC)? I assume its not competitive at all, but I have yet to investigate it.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, let me rephrase it, do you want to go to medical school because

1. you need a job
2. you're interested in human health and medicine

which is of higher priority? and while we're at it, might as well add
3. a job that will actually pay

by the way, why is outside US impossible? Do you know how many people work outside their home country (both lower and higher ends)? There are a lot of choices out there, make the world your play ground. Of course, if you have a family to worry about, and do not wish to travel too far to the extend that you can't visit them as often as you wish to, then definitely stay, family is more important than anything else at end of the day.

In any case, once you made your decision, do go all the way. I have a few friends who went to med. school straight out undergrad., some hated it and left after 1 year, some stick to it, and just start doing residence now. Those who hated it and left after 1 year all end up doing something else, so no dooms' day scenario in the end I suppose.

p.s. side note to those who consider humanity phd as BS, I would highly disagree with that (at least in the top school), I would say general public don't know any better. I, myself is engineering background, currently working in finance after I quit my phd program after master. I would say getting an phd in engineering/science is much easier than say... philosphy, engineer/science problem is much more concerete and well defined, they might not alway be solveable, but at least you can move on, and do a different topic, not so easy to tell in humanity. Much harder to even formulate a "problem" in humanity, least to say about angle of attack on the problem.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
Im sure you are right. I will definitely investigate any potential school's success rate. Ill look into Bryn Mawr specifically as well.
HOLY ******* **** YOU DUMBASS. Multiquote. Learn it. Use it. Or at least copy and paste.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
out of curiosity, what would you consider useful?

Chem E, PharmD, Mech E, Econ, Finance, to name a few.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
ok, let me rephrase it, do you want to go to medical school because

1. you need a job
2. you're interested in human health and medicine

which is of higher priority? and while we're at it, might as well add
3. a job that will actually pay

by the way, why is outside US impossible? Do you know how many people work outside their home country (both lower and higher ends)? There are a lot of choices out there, make the world your play ground. Of course, if you have a family to worry about, and do not wish to travel too far to the extend that you can't visit them as often as you wish to, then definitely stay, family is more important than anything else at end of the day.

In any case, once you made your decision, do go all the way. I have a few friends who went to med. school straight out undergrad., some hated it and left after 1 year, some stick to it, and just start doing residence now. Those who hated it and left after 1 year all end up doing something else, so no dooms' day scenario in the end I suppose.

p.s. side note to those who consider humanity phd as BS, I would highly disagree with that (at least in the top school), I would say general public don't know any better. I, myself is engineering background, currently working in finance after I quit my phd program after master. I would say getting an phd in engineering/science is much easier than say... philosphy, engineer/science problem is much more concerete and well defined, they might not alway be solveable, but at least you can move on, and do a different topic, not so easy to tell in humanity. Much harder to even formulate a "problem" in humanity, least to say about angle of attack on the problem.

I wouldn't consider med school just because I need a job, but yes I am interested In medicine.

Going outside of the US isn't necessarily impossible, but it's not something I would actively seek out unless there were atypical circumstances.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
HOLY ******* **** YOU DUMBASS.

Multiquote. Learn it. Use it. Or at least copy and paste.

Amidoinitrite?

Whiny dipshit.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
BBSLM, sorry to bump a really old thread but I am curious as to whether you actually did this... Did you end up doing the UNCG Pre-rec program?

Also, FWIW for any lurkers, if you plan to attend Duke you will also need to throw Calculus into the mix. That is a requirement now.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I havent. I still lurk on SDN.com and may consider it in the future, but it doesn't make sense for me right now.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit: I didn't notice that this thread was a year old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads