• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to a Zegna Store Party

Fashionslave

Reaction score
I'm invited to a Zegna "evening of food and fashion" tomorrow night.A friend of mine works there and I'm embarrassed to say I have not purchased a Zegna suit in about 6 years.I have a nice older Zegna which looks great.My quandry is,should I wear that suit or say a Brioni or Kiton?Supposedly,Tom Brady is going to be there.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This made me laugh cause I just thought of the scene from PCU;

"Don't be THAT guy. The one who wears the t-shirt of the band he's going to see tonight."

Anyway... I go to alot of these things. There will be lots of people, and the whole event will be over in an hour. No one will really notice if you're wearing Zegna or not; especially if the suit is 6 years old. You might be able to pass it off as "vintage" Zegna.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, that *party*. I say that you go down to a Filene's Basement, and buy the cheapest suit you can find (it'll be *really* cheap) regardless of the size. You will be the coolest guy in the room. Or at very least, you won't look like, to adopt and modify from Muccia Prada "part of a very bland army."

mjs

Reaction score
Wear whichever suit you think looks nicest, of course.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j, Now YOU are the MASTER...
biggrin.gif

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The world between fashionable and bland is where most of us are focusing our clothing money. Zegna, in my experience, is there, somewhere, in between.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The world between fashionable and bland is where most of us are focusing our clothing money.  Zegna, in my experience, is there, somewhere, in between.
Well said. And I think that's where we should be. Fashionable can all too quickly look foolish.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I think, however, that even the most conservative suit will look dated after 10 years or so, just from the accumulation of small tweaks every season in gorge height, waist suppression, button stance, lapel shape, etc...

Of course, most people wouldn't know the difference anyway, nor would they care. But forum members are by and large not part of this majority.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(LabelKing @ May 02 2005,22:25) Quote Muccia Prada "part of a very bland army."
A very bland but fashionable army.
I'd beg to differ about the fashionable part. Â Zegna, for the most part, is serviciable, but bland.[/quote] Oh, I wasn't referring to the Zegna but rather to Miuccia's quote about her clothing being for a fashionable army.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ May 03 2005,11:11)
Originally Posted by LabelKing,May 02 2005,22:25
Quote Muccia Prada "part of a very bland army."
A very bland but fashionable army.
I'd beg to differ about the fashionable part. Â Zegna, for the most part, is serviciable, but bland.
Oh, I wasn't referring to the Zegna but rather to Miuccia's quote about her clothing being for a fashionable army.[/quote] I know the original Miuccia quote (I think she actual used the word "chic".) I just adjusted it to describe my feelings about Zegna.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think, however, that even the most conservative suit will look dated after 10 years or so, just from the accumulation of small tweaks every season in gorge height, waist suppression, button stance, lapel shape, etc...
Some forum members heads are exploding at this comment. It's true though.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ May 03 2005,15:31) I think, however, that even the most conservative suit will look dated after 10 years or so, just from the accumulation of small tweaks every season in gorge height, waist suppression, button stance, lapel shape, etc...
Some forum members heads are exploding at this comment. It's true though.
Mind did.
confused.gif
Just last week I went to class rockin' my 20+ year-old, three piece, navy pinstriped Kilgours - with a taupe-colored fedora no less. I really don't know if its particular characteristics could be called 'dated', or, more importantly, if those characteristics could be differentiated from variance in manufacturers' house styles. It was the suit in my 'member's picture' -- but the file's off the host. A thread devoted to discerning those changes over the past, say 50 years would be really neat, I think... Regards, Huntsman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads