Going to a Zegna Store Party

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fashionslave, May 2, 2005.

1. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior member

I'm invited to a Zegna "evening of food and fashion" tomorrow night.A friend of mine works there and I'm embarrassed to say I have not purchased a Zegna suit in about 6 years.I have a nice older Zegna which looks great.My quandry is,should I wear that suit or say a Brioni or Kiton?Supposedly,Tom Brady is going to be there.

2. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

This made me laugh cause I just thought of the scene from PCU;

"Don't be THAT guy. The one who wears the t-shirt of the band he's going to see tonight."

Anyway... I go to alot of these things. There will be lots of people, and the whole event will be over in an hour. No one will really notice if you're wearing Zegna or not; especially if the suit is 6 years old. You might be able to pass it off as "vintage" Zegna.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Oh yes, that *party*. I say that you go down to a Filene's Basement, and buy the cheapest suit you can find (it'll be *really* cheap) regardless of the size. You will be the coolest guy in the room. Or at very least, you won't look like, to adopt and modify from Muccia Prada "part of a very bland army."

4. mjs

mjs Active Member

Wear whichever suit you think looks nicest, of course.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A very bland but fashionable army.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

j, Now YOU are the MASTER... [​IMG]

8. LA Guy

Muccia Prada "part of a very bland army."
    I'd beg to differ about the fashionable part. Zegna, for the most part, is serviciable, but bland.

9. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The world between fashionable and bland is where most of us are focusing our clothing money. Zegna, in my experience, is there, somewhere, in between.

10. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Well said. And I think that's where we should be. Fashionable can all too quickly look foolish.

11. LA Guy

Fair enough. I think, however, that even the most conservative suit will look dated after 10 years or so, just from the accumulation of small tweaks every season in gorge height, waist suppression, button stance, lapel shape, etc...

Of course, most people wouldn't know the difference anyway, nor would they care. But forum members are by and large not part of this majority.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

(LabelKing @ May 02 2005,22:25) Quote Muccia Prada "part of a very bland army."
    I'd beg to differ about the fashionable part. Â Zegna, for the most part, is serviciable, but bland.[/quote] Oh, I wasn't referring to the Zegna but rather to Miuccia's quote about her clothing being for a fashionable army.

13. LA Guy

(LA Guy @ May 03 2005,11:11)
    Quote Muccia Prada "part of a very bland army."
    I'd beg to differ about the fashionable part. Â Zegna, for the most part, is serviciable, but bland.
    Oh, I wasn't referring to the Zegna but rather to Miuccia's quote about her clothing being for a fashionable army.[/quote] I know the original Miuccia quote (I think she actual used the word "chic".) I just adjusted it to describe my feelings about Zegna.

14. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Some forum members heads are exploding at this comment. It's true though.

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

(LA Guy @ May 03 2005,15:31) I think, however, that even the most conservative suit will look dated after 10 years or so, just from the accumulation of small tweaks every season in gorge height, waist suppression, button stance, lapel shape, etc...
    Some forum members heads are exploding at this comment. It's true though.
    Mind did. [​IMG] Just last week I went to class rockin' my 20+ year-old, three piece, navy pinstriped Kilgours - with a taupe-colored fedora no less. I really don't know if its particular characteristics could be called 'dated', or, more importantly, if those characteristics could be differentiated from variance in manufacturers' house styles. It was the suit in my 'member's picture' -- but the file's off the host. A thread devoted to discerning those changes over the past, say 50 years would be really neat, I think... Regards, Huntsman