• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to a style event in Indonesia - What to wear?

silvermagenta

Reaction score
A friend who is an editor for a mens fashion magazine in jakarta invited me to go to a launch of a new mens magazine and id like the forums input on what i should wear.

since it's a style event, i was thinking of doing something like a single breasted forest green velvet jacket. single button, center vent and a peak lapel. a bowtie, most likely. id have the lapel done in black satin. black trousers (should I do suspenders and/or cummerbund?) and a black wholecut shoe.

thoughts?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A friend who is an editor for a mens fashion magazine in jakarta invited me to go to a launch of a new mens magazine and id like the forums input on what i should wear.

since it's a style event, i was thinking of doing something like a single breasted forest green velvet jacket. single button, center vent and a peak lapel. a bowtie, most likely. id have the lapel done in black satin. black trousers (should I do suspenders and/or cummerbund?) and a black wholecut shoe.

thoughts?

are you indonesian?

kashmir

Reaction score
which ethnicity from Indonesia is your heritage?

I do not know the magnitude of this event; is it a true high-end lifestyle mag a la The Rake or lesser. I suppose formalwear in Indonesia is quite miniscule; is it stated in the invitation that it should be black tie?

Your green velvet will undoubtedly be flashy and attention drawing. If that's your intention and it is indeed a black-tie event or one level of dressiness below that, then it's okay. Just be prepared to see (business) people not caring at all about the dresscode. The safest choice for them would always be the long-sleeve batik, which is indeed beautiful given the right pants and dress shoes. The fashion people will go for the usual super slim cut suits or something truly impractical. Again, I do not know about the formality of this event. The last event I saw was streetwear so there were peacocks with their skinny trousers, hipsters etc. But none is close to the old-worldly velvet jacket.

P.S. I once saw an old gentleman, small and just like any Javanese old man, wearing a blue batik shirt under a charcoal sack suit. He radiated that elegant nonchalance, but I guess age helped.

Last edited:

silvermagenta

Reaction score
My mom is from Jakarta and dad from us.

It is not like the rake where they focus on tailored pieces but like gq or esquire where they focus more on fashion so I'd like to wear something tailored but a bit more fashion forward.

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on the trousers? How about the lapel? Is black okay with forest green? Does having black lapel mean I'd have to wear black trousers?

silvermagenta

Reaction score
also although i do not NEED to wear it, i have burgundy shoes which i'd like to wear. i know though that it doesnt look great with black. i do have a pair of black captoes which i could wear, but id like to wear my burgundy shoes.

should i just get a navy blue velvet jacket with midnight lapel (shawl or peak?) made instead? so I can use midnight trousers and the burgundy shoes?

kashmir

Reaction score
Well, wow, if you can afford it, yes, I guess navy blue velvet will be of more use. If you have dark features you might be able to pull the green off, but if your features are fair then navy will be safe.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, if it were me I would wear something pretty conservative in terms of a standard black or midnight blue tux, although my tux is DB, so that isn't too boring. but, if I were indonesian, I might mix into that some batik, which I think is very cool but it's hard to pull off if you don't have the connection. but what you are talking about could work for a young guy, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads