Going TIE-less, is there a stigma against this on SF?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Flambeur, May 1, 2008.

1. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

i think it's a great look and proper for many non-formal business occasions. I only wear a tie if the occassion calls for it, and nowadays, not many do. I actually prefer a suit and pocket square without a tie for the less formal business or night on the town look. With a slim fit suit, even better.
    +1

if there is a rule that says u cant wear a jacket sans-tie, it's a stupid rule...
    +1

ok, so far so good, after seeing a lot of pictures on here, very few are sans tie, so I was getting worried for a second since it's my go-to look for going out and relaxing..
    + I hope i was included

Most men do the tie-less look poorly.
    +1

I think the shirt also makes a difference, usually the ones that do it wrong have the shirt collar not standing proud or worse spreading the shirt collar over their jacket lapel. This is a common look with the NRL (rugby league players) personalities here n Australia.

[​IMG]

(I purposely did not iron my shirt this as I was off to a company planning off-site, where there shirt sleeves where to be rolled up [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

2. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

Nothing at all wrong with the tieless jacket look IMO, as long as it looks good. But this goes for anything really.

I often do this look with kakki suits in spring/summer/fall myself.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I don't like it. I prefer to wear a more casual collar and casual tie to tone things down. With a sportcoat, it is OK, but I still usually wear a tie.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Never with a suit, sometimes with a jacket.

Though now that I have accepted the knit, I will generally wear one of those one occasions when formerly I would have gone tieless.

5. academe

academe Senior member

I think it's fine with odd jackets and trousers and this often what I wear. I tend to prefer a tie with a suit.

6. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

I prefer the tie-less look with SC and nice dress pants. However, since I have way more suits than SC, I go with the tie-less look with my suits too. Although I prefer to wear tie whenever I wear a suit, but it just makes me stand out in a business casual office environment I work at, even from my boss, and I don't want that.

7. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

Like several others here, it would seem, this is my standard look for work (where a tie is considered over-dressing, other than for meeting our more formal clients).

For some reason, I always retain a nagging feeling that the tie is missing if wearing a light coloured shirt, whereas a darker coloured shirt looks visually complete without one. Anyone else share this odd inuition?

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I can manage with little difficulty to come up with a tieless combination, even with suits, that will draw compliments.

But then, when I look in the mirror, in pretty much every case, that combination can be improved with a tie, and I do.

For me, the formality/informality axis is not dominated by whether one does or does not wear a tie. It is the easiest dichotomy to exploit, but there are others, particularly using materials, the cut of the clothes, and other aspects instead of losing the tie.

An example, from an earlier WAYWRN post of mine:

[​IMG]

You might disagree with me, but I will tell you from experience that this jacket (by Attolini for Barbera) without a tie looks quite good. One reason is that it shows little linen.

But with a tie, it looks better. Because the rest of the combination and the material of the jacket is cotton, the tie does not amp up the formality level that much.

In general, I find it more fun to come up with casual wear with a tie than to be more generically tieless. Not that I wear a tie all the time with tailored clothes, but as time has passed, I go tieless far less than, say, ten years ago, with tailored clothing.

It is almost the opposite of the adage about female jewelry where women are advised to remove one item at the end of assembling an outfit: things almost always improve, in my opinion, when a man adds a tie to a jacket or suit.

Of course, if you cannot change what you are wearing and are transitioning from one part of the day to another, it is a different matter.

- B

9. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

i dont see anything trashy about it. it can be pulled of with class. i personally prefer wearng ties no matter what. a couple of days ago i went bowling with a shirt, tie, and v-neck. tonight im going to the movies with a blazer, shirt and tie. i still feel casual because i have jeans and loafers on. people have their different ideas of casual.

10. Manton

[​IMG]

That coat should have patch pockets. [​IMG]

11. Conrad

Conrad Senior member

I think the biggest thing you need to pay attention to, which has been mentioned, is the way the shirt collar falls. If it's all rolled over or excessively spread and tucked under the lapel it just looks like absolute crap.

I often do the sport coat and button down sans a tie, and went so far as to add a snap button to one of my shirts. Even though it was a button down, the collar liked to flop over. I added the snap between the top button and the second button so it better holds the collar and top part of the shirt in place giving a more "put together", but still casual look.

12. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

collar spread over the lapel deserves a thread of it's own - HORRIBLE.

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I can manage with little difficulty to come up with a tieless combination, even with suits, that will draw compliments.

But then, when I look in the mirror, in pretty much every case, that combination can be improved with a tie, and I do.

For me, the formality/informality axis is not dominated by whether one does or does not wear a tie. It is the easiest dichotomy to exploit, but there are others, particularly using materials, the cut of the clothes, and other aspects instead of losing the tie.

An example, from an earlier WAYWRN post of mine:

[​IMG]

You might disagree with me, but I will tell you from experience that this jacket (by Attolini for Barbera) without a tie looks quite good. One reason is that it shows little linen.

But with a tie, it looks better. Because the rest of the combination and the material of the jacket is cotton, the tie does not amp up the formality level that much.

In general, I find it more fun to come up with casual wear with a tie than to be more generically tieless. Not that I wear a tie all the time with tailored clothes, but as time has passed, I go tieless far less than, say, ten years ago, with tailored clothing.

It is almost the opposite of the adage about female jewelry where women are advised to remove one item at the end of assembling an outfit: things almost always improve, in my opinion, when a man adds a tie to a jacket or suit.

Of course, if you cannot change what you are wearing and are transitioning from one part of the day to another, it is a different matter.

- B

I like that outfit, although the shoes just look wrong to me, and I do think it would look very niec without the tie..

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think we just touched upon the only thing I think doesn't work: a db jacket/suit without a tie

15. Manton

I think we just touched upon the only thing I think doesn't work: a db jacket/suit without a tie

I see '30s illustrations and pictures of it that I think look good, but somehow it never seems to work out in real life.

Though two years ago I went on what was supposed to be an overnight trip, taking only one suit -- a DB -- and one tie. The trip stretched out another day, and on the train home, I did not wear the tie. I felt like a boulevardier.