• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

going out tomorrow to buy a suit. RLBL vs EZegna and other tips?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

so i ask you, whats wrong with an RLBL suit for a young man who intends to use it as his go to suit? if you claimed that its a very british, sharp, modern suit, wouldnt that make it perfect?

I still think it's a sharp, modern looking suit, but just because something is sharp and modern doesn't mean you should buy it. The OP should consider more than whether he looks good in it. There's the issue of where is he going to wear such a silhouette. In my opinion, it's OK for certain parties, bars, and nightclubs (mostly the ones taking place outside of America and attended by people in their 20s). It's less appropriate for other environments, particularly conservative workplaces. Given that the OP said this was his first good suit, it seemed to me that he should opt for something a bit more versatile.

99% of the population will have a hard time noticing differences in suits.  Just look around--terrible suits are everywhere and no one cares. 

IMO, this shouldn't be a license to make poor decisions.

Last edited:

bauerbach

Reaction score
I spent 10 hours in the stores today, I started in saks, isaia, brioli, corneliani. Then I went to RL, E Zegna, and BB.

now I did like the isaia and brioli very much, but the prices were what they are, and to be honest, suit shopping in saks was like swimming in a shark tank. I guess I appreciate the availability of help, but... yeah. I moved along fairly quickly.

RL was fantastic, I always like that store, probably why I own so much of their blue label clothing.

zegna milano... very disappointed, made that choice very easy. The jacket just didnt fit well at all... I know tailoring and all that, but it was pulling in weird ways in weird places. Even gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried on a "15mil" suit, I think that was the name. I liked the fabric, but still, fit was not for my body.

BB, tried the fitz, I prefer a double vent. tried the milano, not bad, but in comparison, it looked and felt "less". But thats an $800 half fused suit vs a $1700 suit.

In the end, I returned to the RL store. Suit looked plenty professional for my own tastes. Nothing that anyone would call me out on. Went with a basic charcoal. Even found my next jacket, a fantastic blue sport jacket with silver buttons that I really enjoyed, and a nice black corduroy. Maybe next month :p

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
cool, good for you. You did notice that the pants have side tabs, not belt loops right...?

bauerbach

Reaction score
yes I did. I opted to leave it that way, they advised that they could add belt loops if I wanted. Not sure if Ill go that route at some point.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice follow up. Wear the new suit in good health!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you try on PRL made in Italy?

Also, how slim are the lapels?

I had a RLBL suit, but it was a plaid summer/casual suit.

The fit of Isaia/Caruso is a lot better IMO.

bauerbach

Reaction score
I did not try on any PRL, my understanding is that they are not very tailored, and not made by caruso either. appropriate for their price I am sure.

The lapels didnt stand out to me. but I guess I was trying on all "slim fit" suits, so probably why.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you not have the RLBL tailored at all? PRL is definitely a different cut, but the shoulders are so soft, and (at least IMO) the suits are timeless. I guess I just assume that when I buy a suit I am going to have to have the jacket taken in at the bottom/waist.

lesjinx

Reaction score
bauerbach; there are going to be people who will tell you that the RLBL suit isnt appropriate for conservative enviorments but I would have to disagree. just because the lapels are thinner and have a higher gorge and the skirt of the jacket is shorter i wouldnt automatically pass it off as inappropriate. in my eyes "inappropriate" is the dior homme suit, the RLBL anothony suit is actually very sharp and like another member said its very british, sharp and modern. Just make sure to choose good size collars for your shirt that arent too small and a normal size tie, none of that spaghetti stuff and you will be golden.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

bauerbach; there are going to be people who will tell you that the RLBL suit isnt appropriate for conservative enviorments but I would have to disagree. just because the lapels are thinner and have a higher gorge and the skirt of the jacket is shorter i wouldnt automatically pass it off as inappropriate. in my eyes "inappropriate" is the dior homme suit, the RLBL anothony suit is actually very sharp and like another member said its very british, sharp and modern. Just make sure to choose good size collars for your shirt that arent too small and a normal size tie, none of that spaghetti stuff and you will be golden.
+1. The suit will look great in a conservative environment with well chosen accessories.

bauerbach

Reaction score
I did have it tailored, its with them not, thus no pics.

the search for a tie has begun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads