• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going out by yourself

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Stuck working in a college town. All friends and classmates were gone. Really needed a drink and wanted to get out. So I went out to a bar alone for the first time ever. It was a little strange. What's the consensus on this? Do you do it often if at all?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you talk to any groups at the bar?

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Several drunk people came up to me. And I talked to a girl I sort of knew from before. The conversations themselves weren't weird, but I felt awkward. It seemed so strange to be out by myself. I don't even go to movies alone or eat alone or anything like that. I raise the topic on this forum because I was just wondering if such feelings were widespread, or if I am a weirdo.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dexterhaven
Several drunk people came up to me. And I talked to a girl I sort of knew from before. The conversations themselves weren't weird, but I felt awkward. It seemed so strange to be out by myself. I don't even go to movies alone or eat alone or anything like that. I raise the topic on this forum because I was just wondering if such feelings were widespread, or if I am a weirdo.
It's only weird if you make it weird.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes go to the movies alone during the weekdays when I have nothing to do and everyone is busy. Usually before an exam or something as I tend to not want to study ever the night before.

I do not really find it that awkward- its not like im going on the weekends which might make it a bit more weird

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the "would never go alone" camp. Not worth the money or time imo, rather spend time with a group than solo.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i went out alone on my 21st birthday and banged one of the hottest girls i ever banged. there are merits to it. but getting laid is the only one. i'd be cautious of any male who approached you when out alone unless you like the anonymous cock. then it's okay.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i went out alone on my 21st birthday and banged one of the hottest girls i ever banged. there are merits to it. but getting laid is the only one. i'd be cautious of any male who approached you when out alone unless you like the anonymous cock. then it's okay.
How'd that go down? Sounds epic.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a lot of young men and women go to the bar alone. it is not a big deal. do it enough and you will be hanging out with some of the other people who go to the bar alone. some of these people are hard-core alcoholics, some are big-time moochers, and some are true losers. but most are just random people who live really near the bar, somehow got in the habit of going alone, or are relatively new to the area. when i was a bartender, some of the coolest regulars (men and women) were people who would drop in by themselves. one woman lived above the bar in an expensive apartment. she was very attractive and would come down for a drink or two like it was a room in her house.

sit at the bar, tip well, smile and be friendly. it is easier if the place is very crowded.

flashback

Reaction score
if you're comfortable in your own skin and with yourself, then I don't think you'd be asking if its weird.

then again the fact that you took the step and actually went alone suggests that you're very close to that level.

I do it occasionally, and I applaud you for it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm amazed at the regularity with which the topic, of going to a bar or restaurant alone, comes up.

Musiclover

Reaction score
Good opportunities usually arrive when I'm alone doing my thing. I like to have a wing man, but the wing man and I usually end up interested in the same woman, which isn't a good thing. I dislike being called a "cock block", so being alone is a positive.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never really gone to a bar alone (save the one time I went to drink away my misery after the Mets lost in the 2006 playoffs).

It's just kind of awkward for me - I know it doesn't have to be, but it just feels socially awkward.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had to do it when I've been in cities where I don't know anyone. Luckily I know at least one person in a number of places, but I've often just gone to a nice bar and found interesting conversation there.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never really gone out to bars before by myself but I'll just go right ahead and jump off into the deep end as I will be going to Vegas for New Years by myself. Had a buddy bail on me and couldn't give up the free room. Granted, I'll know a couple people who will be there as well, but I'm actually looking forward to just doing whatever I feel like doing and going wherever I please in Vegas for a change.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads