• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going into luxury/high-end stores with no intention of buying anything?

Bexcellence

Reaction score
How many people do you think do this?

I once went into a store because I was waiting to meet someone and I had some downtime. The SA approached me asking if I needed help and I said "No, just browsing."

She looked at me like I told her I was a convicted ******.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of high end stores want high end looking people in the shop. if you have tourists and teeny boppers running around it could be a turnoff to the real customers.

When I lived in NYC I would often go suit shopping while dressed like I was headed to the gym. I personally don't want the staff to bother me until I need them, and looking like a random "just browsing" person helped in that regard.

If you want nice attention, dress the part. If you don't, you don't.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's kind of funny the variety of people browsing the Brooks Brothers store in SF, not that that's a high end store.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I once went into a store because I was waiting to meet someone and I had some downtime. The SA approached me asking if I needed help and I said "No, just browsing."

Next time, just say, "no thank you".

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You just know he would have posted on SF had the internet been around at the time...
laugh.gif

... wait a minute...
confused.gif

Last edited:

Bexcellence

Reaction score

A lot of high end stores want high end looking people in the shop. if you have tourists and teeny boppers running around it could be a turnoff to the real customers.

When I lived in NYC I would often go suit shopping while dressed like I was headed to the gym. I personally don't want the staff to bother me until I need them, and looking like a random "just browsing" person helped in that regard.

If you want nice attention, dress the part. If you don't, you don't.

I had a suit on

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
PM member Lafont. He's a seasoned browser.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First things first: are you a convicted (or accused) ****** or sex offender? That could explain a lot.

I'm not the window-shopping type. When I go into stores, it's usually because I want to buy something. Every once in a while, I'll pass a window and see something that I like, but I won't go into the store unless there's a real chance that I'll buy it. That's just me. If I walk out of a store without buying anything, then it's usually because they didn't have what I wanted (at the price that I wanted) or the thing seem as appealing in person. The reaction that you get depends more on the store culture than anything else. Some managers instruct the employees to be suspicious of the "just lookin'" crowd.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visit high end stores time to time. Its good fun. Plus good way to measure your size on different brands(for later online purchase!). My usual day for window shopping is Thursday evenings - after work. So I really dress up on Thursdays if I plan for a window shopping. If SA comes up to me my line – If I need help I will let you know.

Funny though. The day I visit stores with intention to purchase(Sales/discount days) – I don’t care how I dress !!!

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats weird that you had this experience. I used to go into browse high end store like saks, bergdorfs, barneys, and the brand boutiques every other day without ever buying anything and said the same "no I'm just browsing" as the OP. the SAs usually just smiled and told me to let them know if i needed anything and go back to what they were doing. This was in NYC so the culture might be a bit different there. Over here in singapore though they creepily follow you around without saying a word

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did this once at the Tom Ford store in Vegas. Similar experience to OP.

See i find that really hard to believe because in my experience the TF store personnel are very friendly. Mind you not just the madison boutique where i have to disclose i do shop at but even ones I've never been to like the Vegas one. One of my friends used to work at their madison store and they were taught to be nice to everybody because the person you are dealing with might be dressed like crap but is a multi millionaire.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stores are used to it, especially in NYC, Chicago, etc. I was in the RL in Chicago buying some shoes (trying them on at the time), and a group of guys were in there looking at every price tag on the bottom of the purple label shoes going "Guess how much this costs, you won't believe it!" They were hooting and hollering. That's just the way it is sometimes. The sales guys seemed used to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics