• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Going industry vs. IB/MC/etc

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
5,058
Reaction score
24
Thoughts?

I feel like my career options are starting to look fuzzy where I am right now, and I have this opportunity to go in with a huge, very-well known company. Nothing as sexy as models and bottles lifestyle of bankers/consultants/etc, but an interesting opportunity to be a part of a brand new fun group supported by a ton of resources, with no sales or client pressures - just the opposite actually (long-term results orientation) Most of the projects I would be working on are long-term strategy and biz development..

Compensation, location, lack of the shiny stuff all suck for now, but I feel like this has a lot more substance than short term quick money stuff that's the alternative... But no idea. I'm attracted to this because it seems like I would have an opportunity to drive business and change as a part of a very small but well placed team, and if we do well, there would be a lot of exposure and opportunities. But this can also be risky, and I have mixed feelings about the F100 stuff..
 

eml4sker

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
You can always leave banking for F100. The other direction is more difficult.
 

v.freeman

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
198
Reaction score
0
I was in a similar position when I recently graduated. Expect a pretty significant pay cut across all levels compared to consulting and especially to finance. Lifestyle is pretty decent and work seems okay in industry, but compared to the financial services firms I interned at, it's definitely a much slower pace. Not sure what your goals are, but I think the career progression in industry is more linear (and potentially easier) whereas a lot of banking and consulting seems up-or-out.
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Thoughts?

I feel like my career options are starting to look fuzzy where I am right now, and I have this opportunity to go in with a huge, very-well known company. Nothing as sexy as models and bottles lifestyle of bankers/consultants/etc, but an interesting opportunity to be a part of a brand new fun group supported by a ton of resources, with no sales or client pressures - just the opposite actually (long-term results orientation) Most of the projects I would be working on are long-term strategy and biz development..


am I the only one who reads 'ton of resources' and then thinks 'that's what they tell you now' and then reads 'long term results orientation' and then thinks 'cash flow problems on day 3'
 

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
5,058
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by Matt
am I the only one who reads 'ton of resources' and then thinks 'that's what they tell you now' and then reads 'long term results orientation' and then thinks 'cash flow problems on day 3'

No, that's nothing like that. Think huge profitable company sitting on a pile of cash (that I won't necessarily have access to). It's just that the position itself is more of a long-term strategy/biz dev position.
 

bond928

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2010
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
pardon my ignorance, does "industry" simply mean a company that sells product/services? whereas IB/MC are considered non-industry and are companies working on other companies.
 

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
6,414
Reaction score
2,404
Originally Posted by bond928
pardon my ignorance, does "industry" simply mean a company that sells product/services? whereas IB/MC are considered non-industry and are companies working on other companies.

Industry typically in this case means non client service organizations. It's like working at Kraft, Exxon, or Coke compared to Goldman Sachs, Deloitte, McKinsey. Industry typically has better work life balance and less pressure to drum up business.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,056
Messages
9,191,220
Members
193,034
Latest member
MisterPowell

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top