• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going grey at 27, any options?

rox88

Reaction score
I'm 27 and for the last few years have been greying a bit on the sides. Probably about 20-30 hairs on the sides. I shaved my head recently, it's not too bad, but when it grows, the greys seem to grow faster and more noticeable.

Besides a salon, are there any new technologies/products I can use?
I thought I heard about something that you kinda brush in and it sticks to the greys?
Anything?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
suck it up, it looks distinguieshed (or at least that is what I tell myself)

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let it grey naturally, nothing worse than someone doing a dye job to avoid the inevitable.

ccc123

Reaction score
let it be - dye jobs usually look like - well a dye job - if you have a current hair style and are confident and comfortable with your clothes and overall appearance than you should be able to go anatural with no issue - most girls I know love the salt and pepper thing and then the all Grey, I'm 40 and have had the greys overtaking the brown for the past 7-10 years - no complaints and no worries - go with it!

danilo

Reaction score
I have grey hairs at 23... rock em dude!

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Exactly. I have had grey hairs since I was 8. It's a genetic thing, so just rock 'em with pride.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
Let it grey naturally, nothing worse than someone doing a dye job to avoid the inevitable.
Yes, accept it. Trying to hide it will make you look worse, not better. Besides, gray hair is not necessarily a bad thing.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, I'll start by saying my perspective is a little skewed because of the fact that at the same age I am slowly going bald. Slightly different dilemma. If I was you I would embrace it and be glad. I would LOVE to have grey hair. If I was to be granted a hair wish and I would likely choose for my hair to be the salt and pepper colour Clooney's famous for. I know it's cliche to say it, but it's disitnguished. My $.02.

moosy

Reaction score
Well, I'll give a different opinion.

I have been going grey since 23 or so. The first few years were OK, but eventually it became more and more noticeable. Truthfully, both at work and anyone I have dated loved it and thought it added a flair to my look. I still don't like it, my own ego I guess.
I tried all the store brand hair stuff and nothing works, it looks bad, creates a uniform color that is not natural and fades quickly. I have for a while been going to a salon to get my hair colored. First every two month and now every month. It took a lot of trial and error and talking to my hair stylist to get it the way I want it. Now it looks the way I want it to, and truly no one has any idea it is not natural - works great for me.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A young person not going bald, and having grey hair looks cool. I got some in the back of my head. I wish I had them somewhere more noticeable.

bomber

Reaction score
I have a few popping up (in my mid 20's) as well. So far I have just been plucking them out, but I figure eventually that won't work anymore. It's bad because my hair is so dark they are extremely noticable
frown.gif

Isn't early greying a sign of a thyroid problem? In my case it is for sure, but from my understanding that is a big warning sign (just thought I would mention that).

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rox88
I'm 27...I shaved my head recently...
If you have a full head of hair, you are crazy to shave it off! Enjoy it while you can. It will be gone for a long time...
Originally Posted by rox88
...a salon...
A professional hair color looks great. As you are young, a little gray will make you look more mature and give you a more authoritative air. When you are older, coloring your hear will make you look 15 years younger. One day that will be important to you...

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
A professional hair color done by a licensed beautician look great! You cannot tell it from the real thing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads