Going gray early? (Mid-twenties)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by 1up, Sep 27, 2011.

1. 1up

1up Senior member

I started noticing a few silvers when I was 19-20, now I've got about 30-40% gray hair up top. As if I wasn't already depressed about getting older, this adds years for sure, I get mistaken for late 20's quite often. I started coloring my hair 6 or 7 months ago, but the grays still poke through after a couple weeks.

I'm aware there's no remedy, and can definitely add a distinguishing factor to my overall look, but it still bugs me! Can anyone else sympathize?

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

At least you're not balding right?

whenever i think grey hair george clooney comes to mind.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  3. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I dont sympathize, I'm envious.

4. 1up

1up Senior member

Why would you want to look older at such a young age?

5. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

i'm in the same boat. when i hang out with all my balding friends, i praise the spaghetti monster for my gray hair.

6. 1up

1up Senior member

Yeah, but I think out of my close group of friends only 1 or 2 are going bald. I guess it could be worse. I think I'm just really narcisistic and have always prided myself on my looks, and if any aspect of them starts to detoriate I get all depressed. Being so vain is a poor characteristic, gotta shake it.

7. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

i am very salt and pepper, and women compliment me on it all the time.

8. 1up

1up Senior member

Really? That's awesome. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

9. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

I can understand how you feel. My father started going gray at 19 and was completely gray by 21/22. They kept telling me growing up that the same would happen to me, so I've been obsessed with looking for gray hairs. I'm 25 now and only have a few persistent grays that I quickly pluck. I think if you can find a way to rock the gray it can look good even at a young age. Women don't really mind IMO as long as you are well kept.

10. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

There could be other reasons for people assuming you are older. I dont think grey hair is the deciding factor. When was the last time someone thought Anderson Cooper looked older than he is? Even if it was, the difference in a few years is not a big deal. Looking late 20s when you're in your mid 20s is not a turn off for any girl. If you're in your mid 20s then you should just worry about looking well maintained and handsome. Dress well, prevent balding, prevent wrinkles, work out ect...

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

embrace the early gray. you can be insecure and cry about it and hide it and dye it constantly and whatnot or you can honey badger it and not give a fuck. think taylor hicks, george clooney, AC, etc.

12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

No biggie. Im 34 going bald and grey. Started balding at 23yo, and losing hair always. My first gray hairs at 27yo.

I am trying some of that stuff advertised for helping men get hair back, so far has not worked. Perhaps I will shave my whole head down to grade 1 or 2 and be done with it.

13. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

No remedy? Not yet, but it's expected someday. Also, when gray starts early it can be due to a medical condition (see a doctor). In that case, manage the condition, manage the gray. Perhaps if the condition is corrected, some of the natural hair color will return - does anyone know for certain?

14. tsacain

tsacain Well-Known Member

I first noticed some gray hairs when I was 16. I am still mainly brown though. My brother has a small patch of gray and he is 18. My grand father was completely gray in his late 30's but had thick hair. I am just happy that my family grays instead of balds. Having thick hair (even gray) is better to me than balding. (I am 23 by the way)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  15. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

My first gray hair came through when I was about 10 years old. I have black hair but there is a TON of gray all throughout it. I used to hate it in my late teens - early 20's. But over the years, I have embraced it (I'll be 29 next month, btw). I get compliments from women all of the time about it (women younger than me, early - mid 20s). Some women dig the older men look. Which is fine by me.