• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going bald in college

tjmaglio

Reaction score
This is correct, Propecia will stop all balding.  If I had gone on it about six months earlier, I would have complete regrowth.
Wow. That's so encouraging to hear. How soon after you noticed you were losing your hair did you begin taking Propecia?

Thanks,

T

marc37

Reaction score
Yeah: l have had the same problem. There is a solution. l was going really bald at 21, but l changed my diet and nearly grew all my hair back. Everyone noticed the difference.

SOLUTION
You can treat the problem with a band aid solution such as putting various creams in your hair however this is expensive and not overly effective.

The best way is to deal with the problem directly. Researchers have found that bald men lack significant amounts of organic Tin in their blood. (Hmm, interesting fact hey).

You need to juice sprouts and grasses and have rich nutritional supplements such as raw kelp. Eat all your food raw. Eat your protein in a pre-digested form only. Organic food. Chemicals make hair fall out. No meat.

My diet has been slack in the last 3 years and my hair is falling out again. l'm starting to go back to raw food again.

Drink wheatgrass juice and oat grass juice like there is no tommorrow. Cheers.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Wow. That's so encouraging to hear. How soon after you noticed you were losing your hair did you begin taking Propecia?
Well, I remember once getting a haircut and when the brought the mirror behind me to show that back of my head, I said, "what the hell is that." It was a obvious bald spot, now completely filled in. Probably went to the dermatologist 12-18 months after I noticed significant loss.

quill

Reaction score
I know it's easy to comment when you don't have the problem. I am in my mid-40s and just starting to have a receding hairline. Even at my age, it's a little disconcerting. But I am choosing to go with what Nature is giving me (personal choice; I don't disparage anyone for their own viewpoints on the matter). Anyway, I figure if guys like Yul Brynner and Bruce Willis can do it, I don't feel so bad. As for the gray hairs that are starting to appear, I happen to love bald eagles (this has much to do with my signature here). So I figure I'm finally earning my bald eagle feathers. And in that context, I'm proud to have 'em. The attitude helps.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried Rogaine for a while.  Seemed to work at growing hair, but I also ended up with skin rashes and pimples on my head.  Wasn't worth it to me.  

Haven't tried Propecia.  The side effect warning on impotence scared me off.

After a while, I just decided to go with the look i've been given.  

I just keep my hair cut very very short.  

I worry more about keeping my body in good physical condition than I do about my hair (or lack therof.) I'd rather spend my energy building my abs than worrying about my hairline.

Lots of popular culture folks who don't have much hair:    

Vin Diesel; Patrick Stuart; Bruce Willis; Michael Jordon.
I gotta believe that they don't have any problems turning the heads of the ladies.

marc37

Reaction score
Kai: you may not be aware of this but, your head is part of your body. lf your hair is falling out it is a sign that all is not well in the body.

l don't understand your reasoning at all. ;>

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys are losing your hair, I'd recommend shaving it completly or getting it cropped like LAguy said. It will look better 100% of the time.

I mean... hello... horseshoe hair is NOT a style. Shaved/bald IS a style. Holding onto the last 3 hairs on your head is just sad.

Look at Kai's pics in the "members pics" section. Here's a guy who has a rather conservative job, but still shaves his head, and looks very stylish and put together.

marc37

Reaction score
No Mike C: l don't recommend ignoring the [health] problem by shaving youir head. How about dealing with the problem instead: take organic colloidal tin, B vitamins and raw chlorophyl juices.

Be aware: tin deficiency baldness leads to tin deficiency deafness. (Do you know how many [tin deficient] old bald people go deaf)??

Why do we live in such an ignorant society that wants a bandaid sollution for everything (shaved heads, dyed hair etc). You should appreciate that your body gives you signs when you are starting to develop disease.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I am the worst of this lot... Started receding when I was 16, 17... 27 now and have lost a LOT on top... side and back is still full- classic balding, IOW. I've been cropping it close for many many years now, doing it at home once a week. It makes a HUGE difference for me- both looks and self-conscious feelings. I really don't care about it too much anymore... I'm a pretty good looking, in shape guy and my g/f and most girls I meet don't seem to mind
smile.gif

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
I am 19, and this year, my hair has been falling out like crazy. I am thinking about trying propecia, and maybe looking into tin suppliments. My hair is pretty long and i don't want to get it cut because I am afraid of how it will look, but its just receding in the front.

sam

Reaction score
If you guys are losing your hair, I'd recommend shaving it completly or getting it cropped like LAguy said. It will look better 100% of the time.

I mean... hello... horseshoe hair is NOT a style. Shaved/bald IS a style. Holding onto the last 3 hairs on your head is just sad.
I agree completely, with the addition that if you're a white guy, get some sun so you don't look like a cancer patient.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
...get some sun so you don't look like a cancer patient.
Wow is that ironic. Recommending that someone increase his risk of cancer in order not to look like he has cancer. lol

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was 15, my friend's older cousin was 18 and he was already very bald on top. Soon he was totally bald, well before 30.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if your hairline is receding? I suspect mine might be, but if it is, the change is so subtle I can't tell for sure. Do those short hairs on the edge of the hairline mean anything?

borjeson

Reaction score
As per Marc37's nutritoinally-oriented protocol, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and nutritional regimen can maximize one's chances of hair health, however, alas, genetics has an overpowering effect, ultimately. Rogaine is effective in a small % of cases, though it is worth a try. Any results can take several months. As Rogaine can be expensive, the most cost-effective approach would be Costco's own Kirkland house brand of Minoxidil. It's the same formulation as Rogaine and costs pennies per application. Exercise is important to increase circulation. Also, an herb called Saw Palmetto, which is used increasingly to counteract cases of enlarged prostates by lowering DHT in the bloodstream (DHT can trigger male pattern baldness) is finding its way into hairloss regimens. Saw Palmetto is essentially an herbal form of Propecia, however without the potential impotence side-effects. A nutritional regimen containing the full complement of anti-oxidants (B, C, E, Selenium, etc) would be advisable, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads