• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going back to school

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did two years of an English degree before I realized several things: it was largely useless, and I didn't enjoy it. Now, after ******* around for several years, I'm planning to go back to school next year - giving me a year to earn some dough and make some decisions.

So, since I'm going back to school for a second time, whats the most cost-effective degree? I'm not pissing away money on something thats going to hang on my wall and earn me minimum wage. What are some of the best opportunities and fields at the moment?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plumbing.

Serious.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ornithology of the western hemisphere.

Err..... become a mechanic.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Engineering, the core disciplines at least, still seems to be doing well. My company is still hiring engineers right out of college, and actively seeking them. But of course, you have to be pretty good at it.

But of course a college degree is the new HS diploma. If you go out of that track, there are other less traditional opportunities. CPA, plumber (as mentioned), welder, electrician -- trades (excepting CPA) that are necessary all the time, and cannot easily be outsourced.

~ H

BP348

Reaction score
Depending on what you're interested in the medical field has some well paying jobs.

RN, Physician Assistant, Physical Therapist, or Radiology / X-ray Tech.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Plumbing.

Serious.

+1.
I don't know what the situation is like in the US/Canada, but in Australia a good plumber will easily make over $100 000 a year. Compare that with teachers, for example, who top out at about $70k.

Carpenters, electricians, and even skilled plasterers can make very good money, too.

Originally Posted by BP348
Depending on what you're interested in the medical field has some well paying jobs.

Agree with this, too. Aged care is a big field, so training as an aged care nurse could be a good career move, although not everyone enjoys that kind of work. Similarly, qualified radiographers and sonographers are in demand.

Really, it depends what you like, and what your strengths are.
I love talking and writing, so although I wasn't bad at maths, I would never have survived in a career devoted to maths, for example.

Have a think about what you like to do, what your strengths are, and then compare them to professions/occupations that are in demand. Obviously, if you hate manual labour, then you shouldn't become a plumber or a builder.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Math can suck it, I'm terrible with numbers. I'm leaning towards a degree in Kinesiology and then heading off to do physiotherapy afterwards.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No kidding. Sometimes I wish I'd learned plumbing. Can't outsource that work at all.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348

This. I would suggest, based on ROI and quality of life, aiming for a CRNA (certified registered nurse anesthetist), a nurse practitioner, physician's assistant, or pharmacist. The best thing about the CRNA or nurse pract route is, you become an RN first, and need to work a couple of years at RN wages, then go back for your master's. You can also work part time during your master's, at RN wages, not something most students can do.

Milpool

Reaction score
I think I told this story before on here. Last winter when my furnace went out, the HVAC guy came to repair it and I asked how he was doing. He said he was good, but tired, he had been working very long days because everyone needed furnace repair. I mentioned that there were a lot of people that wish they could say they were working that much... his whole face lit up when he realized how lucky he was to have work.

My general advice is to pick something that requires your physical presence to do the work.

Nursing, plumbing, electronics / electrical repair, trauma surgery, auto mechanic, etc.

It is easy to outsource things like radiology, computer programming, graphic design, accounting, etc. Lots of the white collar "thought" type positions are getting outsourced/offshored quite readily.

Also, in the nearer term, consider any career catering to old people. Lots of baby boomers are going to need lots of services.

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
Do not remember exactly what this title is called or what you have to do to get this certification but a friend of mine is a journeyman electrician or electric engineering foreman or something like that, the various job titles are flying around in my head...anyway he makes under 300,000/year in New York, but not under by much. If you're interested I can ask him exactly what he does. He said the jr guy they hired is paid 90,000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads