• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going back to NYC in a few weeks. Lunch/Dinner Recs?

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I was thinking tentatively:

Friday lunch: Katz's
Friday dinner: Ssam Bar
Saturday lunch: Gaia
Saturday dinner: Le Bernadin
Sunday lunch: Grimaldi's
Sunday dinner: Awash (wife wants Ethiopian one night)

Is Le Bernadin worth it? Any place you would go instead? Anyone know a better Ethiopian place?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Bernardin is worth it.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured. It's the only splurge meal of the trip. Now I just have to score some resos.

mackmittonz

Reaction score
If you're unsure about Le Bernardin try to get there for lunch (not available on Sat or Sun though.) You get to still get top notch fish at a much more reasonable price and the lunch menu isn't a total departure from what's available during dinner.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the lunch menus of these places good value for the money. Unless you really want the tasting menu, consider going to Le Bernadin for its prix fixe lunch on Friday. An alternative is the Bouley lunch on Friday. Also consider Jean Georges which serves lunch on Saturdays - most other fancy restaurants do not.

You can go to Katz's at any time. Somehow I often find myself in that area late at night.

I find Ssam Bar ok but not great.

If you want to slurge, consider Blue Hill at Stone Barns - I have been there 5-6 times, most recently 1.5 weeks ago, and it is great. Don't bother with the Stone Barns in the Village, it is not the same.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is that place GDL and SField love so much? Waxman's place? I would probably hit that up.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbuto? Haven't heard much about it but it'd be an option for Friday night.

Daniel or Le Bernadin? Both look good.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're more likely to have a good meal/experience at Le Bernardin.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find Ssam Bar ok but not great.

I think you're right. Ssam bar was a very good to excellent restaurant, both in terms of the cooking they were doing, and the quality/price aspect from early 2008-2010 (around when they added the full bar.) The food can still be very good, but it's much less consistent, and much more expensive. It's not a bad choice by any means, but you may want to think about other options.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd skip Ssam unless you're a large group and going for the pork with a reservation. Wait is long on a Friday night (expect 1 hour) and this more often than not leads to disappointment IME.

I do enjoy lunch at Ssam though, particularly the duck over rice.

I don't know Gaia or Awash but Le Bernardin and Barbuto will be great. Barbuto is a much more enjoyable setting than LB IMO

Last edited:

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, G. I will probably skip it. Any other spots you recommend instead of LB? Maybe we'll do Barbuto Friday and something else Saturday. Buddakan any good?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't been to Budakkan in a long long time but the vibe is a bit douchy, especially on weekends. Food was great back then, don't know now.

If you're in the mood for paella, Socarrat in Nolita will really hit the spot - also get the pan con tomate. If you're looking to replace Ssam with another Asian option, you'll get better recommendations from others here than me.

A place I absolutely love everything about, from outstanding food to perfect ambiance and decor is Sorella in the LES

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's what I was thinking tentatively:
Friday lunch: Katz's
Friday dinner: Ssam Bar
Saturday lunch: Gaia
Saturday dinner: Le Bernadin
Sunday lunch: Grimaldi's
Sunday dinner: Awash (wife wants Ethiopian one night)
Is Le Bernadin worth it? Any place you would go instead? Anyone know a better Ethiopian place?

Katz's is a tourist trap mostly - I'd probably skip it
Ssam bar - I find Chang's cooking over the top without any subtlety whatsoever - but probably worth it once
Gaia - no opinion
Le Bernadin - sure.
Grimaldis - Heresy I know, but I like Lombardi's better personally.
Awash - no opinion.

As for Blue Hill, it is completely dependent on season, and I think California does the local food thing better anyway. I always like Il Buco on Bond street. Or depending on where you are from, you could try one of the higher end, more foreign restaurants which are pretty rare in the US - Jung Sik, Hakkasan, Tamarind, etc. If you are willing to venture out to North Brooklyn, Isa is pretty good as is Dressler. In Park Slope, Beer Table is fun as is the Bagel Hole for a real bagel (unlike pretty much every crappy bagel place left in Manhattan).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads