• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goin to the Valley, 6:00 AM tomorrow

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't been there in years but I'm going to the Valley tomorrow. Probably McCallen and Brownsville. No Nuevo Laredoi.

Many years ago I used to go to the Valley quite a bit and sample the Mexican talent.

Billy G told me that I was one of many he was thinking about when he wrote this song.

Not that I would fool with a Mexican Puta
laugh.gif
devil.gif

I'll try to take pictures, but there's no guarantee they will allow it,

Anybody have any suggestions and/or must sees while I'm there?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I got out of work and I headed for the neighborhood beer joint
I sat around and had a beer with the boys like I always do
Well I didn't have nothin' to say anyway there ain't no point
There's just something 'bout a Monday that always makes me blue

Well it was well after dark so I knew my wife and kids were waitin'
And I guess I took a left where I generally take a right
Well I filled her up with gas, checked the oil at the Texaco station
I threw the car seat in the dumpster and headed off into the night

Woo-ohh-ooh-ooh-ooh
There's somethin' 'bout a Monday that always makes me blue

Well I headed south on 35 hell bent for vinyl
I hadn't never had her up past 55 before
Well somethin' 'bout that little red line always looked so final
Buddy you'd be surprised how fast a Chevrolet truck can go

* Now, down in Mexico they've got a little place called Boystown
Where a man's still a man if you know what I'm talkin' about
Well, I walked into the Cadillac bar and I laid my cash down
I said "there's plenty more where that came from" and the lights went out

Well I woke up in a county jail 'cross the line in Laredo
With a headache and a deputy staring at me through the door
Well he said "Now how you got across that river alive, I don't know
But your wife just made your bail so now you're really dead for sure"

Now my wife, she called my boss and she lied so I got my job back
And the boys down at the plant, they whisper and stare at me
Yea well my wife can find a lot of little jobs to keep me on the right track
Well, but that's a small price to pay for a week of living dangerously

Yeah-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-wee
That's a small price to pay for a week of living dangerously

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, it´s 7:15 PM and we´ve made it to Reynosa. Not too much happenning, but tonight we go to the hot club in town of Reynosa, called Lipstick!

Will report tomorrow!

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to head out in a few hours to Kaufman, Tx. for a BBQ, then the start of dove hunting! Hunting season..best part of the year.
Hope you enjoy the valley....
lol8[1].gif

Regards.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
I am going to head out in a few hours to Kaufman, Tx. for a BBQ, then the start of dove hunting! Hunting season..best part of the year.
Hope you enjoy the valley....
lol8[1].gif

Regards.

Thanks Shikar,

I'll be hunting a different type of dove. I'll post pictures tomorrow. If you know where to look, Reynosa has some very pretty doves
smile.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi Shikar,

We must meet uo sometime.

I think I was hunting for a different type of dove than you. Here is the best we did. She was a 19 year old dove, but still very sweet and tender. Though you could feel the bones in some place there were other parts that made up for it.

A 19 year old Mexican dove especial:

ReynosaPictures083.jpg

Here is the King Ranch Store in Kingsville, on the way to the valley. It was a big disappointment. Years ago they used to make real quality products right there. This time when I asked where their leather products are made (some of which were very nice), they said they get them from various vendors ( a euphemism for China):

ReynosaPictures018-1.jpg

Me on a nice couch:

ReynosaPictures017.jpg

Reynosa Mexican Couture which was a joke. I can see why affluent Mexicans shop in the USA

A suit in a nice shop on the square:

ReynosaPictures061.jpg

Shoes that are representative of their better wares!

ReynosaPictures065.jpg

"Lipstick Club" in Boy's Town:

ReynosaPictures076.jpg

ReynosaPictures077.jpg

Small town Texas on the way back:

ReynosaPictures022.jpg

BTW: My specific dove was una dova especial from a private preserve and not from Boy's Town. AAMOF, I found out after the fact, that this is not a good time to go to the Valley for any traditional dove hunting. An attorney friend of mine, who is Hispanic and is very much plugged in on both sides of the border said that it's all political, but right now it's open season on Touristas in the Valley.

He even had a folksy name for it. "The Kidnap Express"! They just wait for gringos in decent cars that look like they might have some $$$$, and then shake them down.

It happened to us. First mistake was driving into Mexico. It's much wiser to park your car on the American side, walk across, and then take cabs. My friend drove across in a 2 year old Lexus. Nice car but nothing special.

On Saturday night we were driving in the Lexus when we were stopped for no reason. I guess it's a case of DWG (driving while Gringo). I can imagine how my black brothers feel when they are stopped for DWB (Driving while black!).

Anyway it was 2 Army guys that stopped us, of all things. Not the Policia nor the Federales. The senior man did all the talking and the younger guy just observed and had some sort of automatic weapon pointed at us ( definitely not a hand gun, maybe an Uzi). He kept saying " Drugas o contabandista?". We had nothing of course and had done nothing wrong. He then said he had to search us for drugs and weapons. With an Uzi pointed at you it's expedient to say "Yes, go right ahead!".

Of course he found nothing. But then by the strangest of coincidences, we all counted our money, and found we were $200 light each! I wonder why he didn't take it all? Compassion maybe. Anyway, my attorney friend said we were lucky. Many times they take all of your money and then drive you to an ATM machine for more. They don't really want to arrest you and drain Mexican resources, but they sure want to lighten your pocket.

If you are planning on going to the Valley, be very careful.

Kaizen

Reaction score
Nice pictures. Too bad about the shakedown. It's that kind of thing that keeps me on this side of the border.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't mind the $200. Part of the price you pay I guess.

But it is not pleasant having an Uzi pointed at you.

BTW: If anyone still wants to chance it, you should hunt for the dovas especial and not the Boy's Town crap. PM me if you're going to the Valley soon.

Mexicans are fine happy people, but the poverty leads to stuff like the shakedowns unfortunately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads