• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GODZILLA - May 16, 2014

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It wasn't a bad movie by any means, but I left disappointed.

This part was cool; wasn't expecting it (SPOILER):

tumblr_n5nmkhzMPG1qh3u4so1_400.gif

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw it last night as someone who hadn't a clue about any of the Godzilla lore. All I knew going into it was what my wife looked up on wikipedia and read out loud while we were driving to the theater. Overall I liked it. I wish there was more Godzilla battle action, though. Also Cranston's son's character was kind of annoying. I did like how well of a job they did explaining the why's over the creatures.

Did they create any of that or is it all pretty consistent with the Godzilla backstory of past?

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, overall it was a good movie. That being said, my gripes:

1. Not enough action. I wished there was more.

2. No connection with any of the characters, except for Cranston's. I really didn't give a **** about any of their livelihoods. None of the actors really acted well in an emotional, compelling manner, except for Cranston.

3. 99.9% of the scenes with Watanabe depicted him in the SAME EXACT MANNER: him stoically looking to the distance with a few choice, reactionary words. It worked the first or second time. It got tiring the third and fourth time. After, it just became comical and I started chuckling at how tired that trope became. I wish they allowed his character to express more emotion and depth.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did they create any of that or is it all pretty consistent with the Godzilla backstory of past?

The mutos are originally created for the film. The radiation absorption is pretty inline with Godzillas story though, that's usually what he feeds on though it wasn't addressed in the film, I don't even think he actually absorbs radiation in this one.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only thing that bothered me story-wise was Cranston's son telling Elizabeth Olsen to stay in San Francisco an extra day or two until he arrived. Really, when you know giant monsters are on their way there?

Also, while it made for a cool scene, dangerously parachuting into San Francisco seemed unnecessary.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saw it Friday night and I really enjoyed the film overall. I did have a few issues and will address those with my thoughts soon. RFX's take was fairly spot on even if I didn't agree with it all.

The mutos are originally created for the film. The radiation absorption is pretty inline with Godzillas story though, that's usually what he feeds on though it wasn't addressed in the film, I don't even think he actually absorbs radiation in this one.

The film implied that Godzilla fed on radiation, just like the other creatures. They explained that's why he's stayed in the deepest parts of the ocean all these years instead of roaming the surface. He certainly wasn't interested in feeding on the caucuses of the two other MUTO's

Only thing that bothered me story-wise was Cranston's son telling Elizabeth Olsen to stay in San Francisco an extra day or two until he arrived. Really, when you know giant monsters are on their way there?

I may be remembering this wrong, but didn't he tell her to stay in SF before he was aware the MUTO was headed that way? That's how I recall it happening.

Also, while it made for a cool scene, dangerously parachuting into San Francisco seemed unnecessary.

They had to stay out of the EMP zone. That's why a high altitude jump was made instead of flying them in via helicopter or other means. It made sense in the logic of the film's narrative.

What didn't make sense to me
was the back up plan of using the boat to get the nuke out of SF. Wouldn't that have been at risk of being fried too?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The film implied that Godzilla fed on radiation, just like the other creatures. They explained that's why he's stayed in the deepest parts of the ocean all these years instead of roaming the surface. He certainly wasn't interested in feeding on the caucuses of the two other MUTO's

I vaguely remember this part, I just wasn't sure if they were talking about Godzilla or the other mutos like the cocoon they found in the Philippines.

Godzilla just seemed disinterested in radiation while the mutos were going batshit crazy for them. :lol:

Can't wait for a review, it seems like I'm the only one posting and in depth thoughts in these threads. :embar:

What did you think of ASM2?

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Godzilla is the hero mankind doesn't deserve. ;)

You are right he was only interested in the Muto's. I just took that for him "restoring natures balance." It worked in the film and wouldn't have made for a very happy ending if he turned around after defeating the other creatures and terrorized mankind.

How packed was your theater? Mine was only 2/3 full or so, which was kind of disappointing for Friday on opening weekend. I hope the film pulls in enough for the director to be green-lit a sequel. He's already stated he wants to take things up a few notches. Think the film Destroy All Monsters. :slayer:

I haven't seen AMS2 yet. Think i''m going to just wait for it to hit video at this point. Reviewers that I trust haven't been all that kind to it and most of the trailers didn't grab me.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Theater was decently packed, it was on a Thursday night (8pm) showing so not exactly midnight, it still grossed close to $10m on Thursday showing alone though so plenty went to see it.

Also, a sequel is already in the works, it was announced today. It already made $100m+ internationally and they beat out the projected opening weekend of $60m with $93m domestically.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like I wasted 2 hours watching it.

Mutos have played in the NFL for many years.

A movie of this quality could have been made by college kids with great tech skills.

NB:I did like the original 1950's Godzilla which I saw at a movie on Delancey St in NYC, whan I was 7 years old. At least it had "dynamic violence".

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was alright but I was expecting more Godzilla. I must have been spoiled by the kaijus in Pacific Rim.

I liked how the director basically cock teased the audience until the very last fight scene. I mean, how could they cut to the little boy right after the first reveal and the roar? Kinda killed the impact for me. Then the next time they show Godzilla fighting Muto, we only get a glimpse before the doors shut. I mean, come on!!!

Lastly, where were Godzilla's rogues gallery?? All the chatter online before the movie hit was the possibility/rumours of a Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah appearance. Sequel, perhaps??

And big plus one to RFX, Cranston carried the first act basically.

And big plus one to HB because Monsters is a great film in its own right and I kept telling my brother afterward to check it out since he really liked this movie.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Enjoyed it knowing very little about the backstories. I had to piss really bad 1/3 into the movie so kind of spoiled the mood. Fwiw I felt connected to all characters and things. When the little boy looks out the school window...those feels.

If anything I felt like Godzilla felt disconnected to everyone else in the movie. Almost as if he was in the background at times just cruising, showing very little interest. Only up to the fight scene. I guess I would have preferred to see some more character development with Godzilla, so, in other words more screen time.

I don't like packed theaters. Of course right at the start the movie the room fills up 2x, but I got good seating. 4 tickets sold and I bought 5 and 6 lol

Not really a spoiler but my bro pointed out how thick Godzilla's legs were in proportion to the body and the prior US iteration, which I said was too similar to a dinosaur. The way I see it is that Godzilla is like a form of deity / god and so he in comparison to Muto was more man-like with greater utility e.g. Walking, grappling. The presence to be able to walk on hind legs and arms to grasp, to stand erect at ones will, is more empowering versus another flying-alien-like-creature that becomes too sci-fi

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've read enough reviews and general comments on the web to take note that while it's been mostly positive buzz, there does seem to be one general theme in the negativity. Some are coming to the conclusion that Godzilla was not in the film enough. Which is odd, because it seems to me his screen time was very much in line with a variety of older Godzilla films including the Japanese original. They have always leaned heavy of the human characters and held Godzilla back for most of the film. The best take I have read about this is that it seems a variety of these opinions are coming from people who are in love with the concept of Godzilla, not Godzilla films.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've read enough reviews and general comments on the web to take note that while it's been mostly positive buzz, there does seem to be one general theme in the negativity. Some are coming to the conclusion that Godzilla was not in the film enough. Which is odd, because it seems to me his screen time was very much in line with a variety of older Godzilla films including the Japanese original. They have always leaned heavy of the human characters and held Godzilla back for most of the film. The best take I have read about this is that it seems a variety of these opinions are coming from people who are in love with the concept of Godzilla, not Godzilla films.

That and from ADHD addled Aspie's who only go to the movies to see explosions and shut their minds off for two hours. They forget (or more likely never knew) the actual depth of the original Godzilla which was a parable about nuclear war (which they were not permitted to make films about at the time). But no, they just want to see **** blow up so they can distract themselves from the life of **** they live in their mom's basement.

******* bloggers, they should all be executed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads