1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

GODZILLA - May 16, 2014

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

It was alright but I was expecting more Godzilla. I must have been spoiled by the kaijus in Pacific Rim.

I liked how the director basically cock teased the audience until the very last fight scene. I mean, how could they cut to the little boy right after the first reveal and the roar? Kinda killed the impact for me. Then the next time they show Godzilla fighting Muto, we only get a glimpse before the doors shut. I mean, come on!!!

Lastly, where were Godzilla's rogues gallery?? All the chatter online before the movie hit was the possibility/rumours of a Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah appearance. Sequel, perhaps??

And big plus one to RFX, Cranston carried the first act basically.

And big plus one to HB because Monsters is a great film in its own right and I kept telling my brother afterward to check it out since he really liked this movie.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Enjoyed it knowing very little about the backstories. I had to piss really bad 1/3 into the movie so kind of spoiled the mood. Fwiw I felt connected to all characters and things. When the little boy looks out the school window...those feels.

If anything I felt like Godzilla felt disconnected to everyone else in the movie. Almost as if he was in the background at times just cruising, showing very little interest. Only up to the fight scene. I guess I would have preferred to see some more character development with Godzilla, so, in other words more screen time.

I don't like packed theaters. Of course right at the start the movie the room fills up 2x, but I got good seating. 4 tickets sold and I bought 5 and 6 lol

Not really a spoiler but my bro pointed out how thick Godzilla's legs were in proportion to the body and the prior US iteration, which I said was too similar to a dinosaur. The way I see it is that Godzilla is like a form of deity / god and so he in comparison to Muto was more man-like with greater utility e.g. Walking, grappling. The presence to be able to walk on hind legs and arms to grasp, to stand erect at ones will, is more empowering versus another flying-alien-like-creature that becomes too sci-fi

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  3. gort

gort Senior member

MUTO mouth was a staple remover.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I've read enough reviews and general comments on the web to take note that while it's been mostly positive buzz, there does seem to be one general theme in the negativity. Some are coming to the conclusion that Godzilla was not in the film enough. Which is odd, because it seems to me his screen time was very much in line with a variety of older Godzilla films including the Japanese original. They have always leaned heavy of the human characters and held Godzilla back for most of the film. The best take I have read about this is that it seems a variety of these opinions are coming from people who are in love with the concept of Godzilla, not Godzilla films.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

That and from ADHD addled Aspie's who only go to the movies to see explosions and shut their minds off for two hours. They forget (or more likely never knew) the actual depth of the original Godzilla which was a parable about nuclear war (which they were not permitted to make films about at the time). But no, they just want to see shit blow up so they can distract themselves from the life of shit they live in their mom's basement.

Fucking bloggers, they should all be executed.

6. Neo_Version 7

Truth is, the human characters in this were all pretty bland aside from Bryan Cranston. The son, nurse, Ken Watanabe, the horrible admiral, no one really kept me invested tbh. If Cranston's character was kept alive, I would have been far more engaged in the human story. The great thing about Edwards first feature was the two leads really carried the film with their performances and the monsters acted as a backdrop. Not so much with this one.

My 0.02

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I am not sure I would label anyone as bland, but I agree several could have been stronger. I actually liked Ken Watanabe's character and didn't find the admiral's performance horrible. Agree that Cranston certainly stole the show while he was alive.

Even ignoring all this, it really doesn't change much to the fact that Godzilla films have never really featured the creature in a large portion of the film's running time. So complaining about the reserved presentation given seems at odds with its history.

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

"Waaaaah, I want explosions because I can't pay attention to anything for more than 3 minutes!!! "

9. Neo_Version 7

Yeah, watching it also gave me a JAWS vibe the way they kept the monsters hidden. The difference is that in JAWS, you had awesome characters all throughout to keep us engaged while the shark was off doing his thing. GODZILLA, as soon as Cranston died, relied on KickAss and it just kinda petered out from there. The guy has zero charisma, zero screen presence. Not knocking the guy, I've seen him decent in other films but carrying a movie of this scale seemed like a tall order.

And to your point about people's complaining about the film's presentation, I think it comes down to them just not understanding/appreciating the history of the films like you mentioned. And pretty sure a majority of people have never even seen a Godzilla film other than maybe 1998 version. None from the Godzilla Vs. saga for sure.

10. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Holy balls! MOTHRA!!!!!!

I thought someone else was in possession of her rights.

11. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Lots of people in Japan have been complaining about how much weight Godzilla gained after moving to America.

12. Keller

Keller Senior member

I think it was a good action movie

1 person likes this.