• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GODZILLA - May 16, 2014

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Truth is, the human characters in this were all pretty bland aside from Bryan Cranston. The son, nurse, Ken Watanabe, the horrible admiral, no one really kept me invested tbh. If Cranston's character was kept alive, I would have been far more engaged in the human story. The great thing about Edwards first feature was the two leads really carried the film with their performances and the monsters acted as a backdrop. Not so much with this one.

My 0.02

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am not sure I would label anyone as bland, but I agree several could have been stronger. I actually liked Ken Watanabe's character and didn't find the admiral's performance horrible. Agree that Cranston certainly stole the show while he was alive.

Even ignoring all this, it really doesn't change much to the fact that Godzilla films have never really featured the creature in a large portion of the film's running time. So complaining about the reserved presentation given seems at odds with its history.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Waaaaah, I want explosions because I can't pay attention to anything for more than 3 minutes!!! "

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am not sure I would label anyone as bland, but I agree several could have been stronger. I actually liked Ken Watanabe's character and didn't find the admiral's performance horrible. Agree that Cranston certainly stole the show while he was alive.

Even ignoring all this, it really doesn't change much to the fact that Godzilla films have never really featured the creature in a large portion of the film's running time. So complaining about the reserved presentation given seems at odds with its history.

Yeah, watching it also gave me a JAWS vibe the way they kept the monsters hidden. The difference is that in JAWS, you had awesome characters all throughout to keep us engaged while the shark was off doing his thing. GODZILLA, as soon as Cranston died, relied on KickAss and it just kinda petered out from there. The guy has zero charisma, zero screen presence. Not knocking the guy, I've seen him decent in other films but carrying a movie of this scale seemed like a tall order.

And to your point about people's complaining about the film's presentation, I think it comes down to them just not understanding/appreciating the history of the films like you mentioned. And pretty sure a majority of people have never even seen a Godzilla film other than maybe 1998 version. None from the Godzilla Vs. saga for sure.

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy balls! MOTHRA!!!!!!

I thought someone else was in possession of her rights.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of people in Japan have been complaining about how much weight Godzilla gained after moving to America.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads