• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

God is in the Details.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When wearing a more minimalist outfit, style is found in the details and one of my favorite areas to explore is the watch. For example, an unusual leather strap in say ostrich or neon crocodile accents an otherwise conservative wristwatch and ensemble. However, the real deal is when the flamboyance is integrated into the watch itself--fancy lugs or simply said, fancy cases, haute horology on acid. This is an area where one can truly explore all sorts of craziness:
450.jpg
2442-990.jpg
patekprototype.jpg
audemarspiguetiw7.jpg
vacherondecoqn1.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Sadly I'm a Patek fan on a beer budget.
smile.gif

A beerluti budget. Let's give yourself some credit here.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A more recent... and affordable ($1500-2000) was Tom Ford's subtle but still interesting YSL Rive Gauche watches made by Bedat. They were only around for a short time and discontinued after Ford left, but I always thought they were pretty neat... certainly not in Patek territory, but nevertheless sort of interesting.

YSLwatch2.jpg

YSLwatch.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The 3rd from top Patek is amazing. Reminds me of the Hamilton Ventura, which I am still saddened over at having it stolen last year. Assymetry in a watch is a beautiful design detail.

JamesT

Reaction score
Labelking:

I would imagine it would be a ***** to attempt to find a replacement watch band for that first watch...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I totally forgot about the YSL watches...I remember wanting one and then that thought just sort of fluttered off into distant memory.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
Labelking: I would imagine it would be a ***** to attempt to find a replacement watch band for that first watch...
I imagine you'll have to have the straps custom-made; but imagine having to find a replacement crystal. I did notice that some of them have regular straps stuffed onto the watches--cheap owners, I imagine:
patek3.jpg
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I totally forgot about the YSL watches...I remember wanting one and then that thought just sort of fluttered off into distant memory.
I liked the YSL watches too though the fact that they were YSL precisely put me off.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
The 3rd from top Patek is amazing. Reminds me of the Hamilton Ventura, which I am still saddened over at having it stolen last year. Assymetry in a watch is a beautiful design detail.

I'm a fan of the Ventura too although most of the futuristic Hamiltons were great:

499.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

I liked the YSL watches too though the fact that they were YSL precisely put me off.

They were made by Bedat and aside from the tiny YSL near the hands didn't have any overt logo-ing. So, what about them being YSL bothers you so much?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
They were made by Bedat and aside from the tiny YSL near the hands didn't have any overt logo-ing. So, what about them being YSL bothers you so much?

I'm not a big fan of watches marketed by fashion companies even if they were manufactured by an in-company watch firm.

For example, I wouldn't want an Hermes watch either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads