God d**n beef lo mein...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SpooPoker, Sep 15, 2010.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Damn Chinese food - I say 10x I am allergic to nuts, ordered from the place 50x before without problem. Beef lo mein shows up - 2 bites - and I begin an 8 hour journey into anaphylaxis that only now I feel marginally better from. Im in amazing pain and just stopped hallucinating a few minutes ago. I dont know what those fuckers snuck in there, but Im pissed.

2. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Sorry to hear that Spoo. Are you allergic to Sesame? . The cheaper oils are often not Pure, (but rather blended oils) = a 'crap shoot'. I have worked with a lot of Chinese Chefs over the years and they are also not too hot on sanitizing boards, tools etc. Get well.

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

sucks. i've been there with apples.

Damn Chinese food - I say 10x I am allergic to nuts, ordered from the place 50x before without problem. Beef lo mein shows up - 2 bites - and I begin an 8 hour journey into anaphylaxis that only now I feel marginally better from. Im in amazing pain and just stopped hallucinating a few minutes ago. I dont know what those fuckers snuck in there, but Im pissed.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

i think they make the "cold noodles" appetizer with peanut butter somewhere. Every (other) time I order and say Im allergic to nuts, they tell me not to get that. I bet the fuckers used some old cold noodles for my lo mein. Damn.

5. SpooPoker

Sorry to hear that Spoo. Are you allergic to Sesame? . The cheaper oils are often not Pure, (but rather blended oils) = a 'crap shoot'. I have worked with a lot of Chinese Chefs over the years and they are also not too hot on sanitizing boards, tools etc. Get well.

thanks Earth... im all torn up. No sesame allergies, but yeah - see above for my theory.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

They could be frying with peanut oil, or a peanut oil blend.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

my friend's dad was a professor of African literature but could never actually go to africa because he was deathly allergic to peanuts and apparently everything is cooked in peanut oil there.

8. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

i think they make the "cold noodles" appetizer with peanut butter somewhere. Every (other) time I order and say Im allergic to nuts, they tell me not to get that. I bet the fuckers used some old cold noodles for my lo mein. Damn.

cold noodle is almost always with a peanut based sauce. sucks dude, feel better.

9. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Having a severe nut allergy and ordering from carryout Chinese sounds a bit to me like playing Russian Roulette.

Good luck, hope you're feeling better.

10. SpooPoker

Having a severe nut allergy and ordering from carryout Chinese sounds a bit to me like playing Russian Roulette.

thanks - yeah, it is risky, but this is my "home" place, where I always get from, for years now without any probs.

I feel like someone scrubbed my insides with a bbq cleaner. [​IMG]

Kunk - my boss has an apple allergy too - I heard thats a bad one, is it? Even smelling apples she gets all twisted.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Having a severe nut allergy and ordering from carryout Chinese sounds a bit to me like playing Russian Roulette. Good luck, hope you're feeling better.
    +1 on both

12. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

This.

13. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

Ugh I have a bad peanut allergy, and this happens to me so often that it's ridiculous. What's awful is that even though I insistently tell waiters/staff about peanut allergies before getting food that should otherwise be safe, when it happens the wait staff does nothing but give a half-assed apology or look at me like it's my own fault, all while it feels like a small animal is gnawing away at my stomach. Also, my lips swell up the size of Pamela Anderson's (not hot).

I had to go to the hospital in Madrid because I was unknowingly given M&M ice cream that had peanuts in it! [​IMG]

I know that it's ridiculous to think that peanuts shouldn't be in restaurant food items, but it's kind of ridiculous how unprepared/unconcerned some restaurants seem to be about it.

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I feel sorry for all of you.

[​IMG]

15. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

I know that it's ridiculous to think that peanuts shouldn't be in restaurant food items, but it's kind of ridiculous how unprepared/unconcerned some restaurants seem to be about it.

You should sue. No excuse for that kind of service.