• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goat Hair in Clothing and Suits

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Evening/Morning SF!

I was recently wondering why some fabrics have a "goat hair" blend in them. I own a Tom Ford jacket that is 10% Goat Hair and it seems to add a coarse texture. Besides [perhaps] the jacket's great drape, does it serve anything functional? Beyond making my cashmere less soft :violin:I've done some research to find the fabric exists quite a bit with Loro Piana, but no rationale.

Rar,
-Rixon

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Firstly from my personal knowledge:

I don't know what you believe 'mohair' to be but factually it is the hair of the angora goat! Cashmere is the hair of another version of the goat, the cashmere goat. You can therefore deduce that Tom Ford is trying meet a requirement to make clear what its composition is and thinks that 'goat hair' is a more acceptable description than 'the hair of any old goat but neither cashmere or mohair'.

Each variety of wool brings a different feel (coarse, fine, luxurious etc) to the cloth and the public value Cashmere and mohair as premium products. This is actually no different to 'wool' which is commonly associated with the overcoats worn by sheep; each version of the sheep gives a different 'wool' which works through into the cloth produced.
  • Secondly from a quick check to make sure I was correct and did not mislead you:
Were you to have troubled to use Google this there is a very full description of the various versions of the goat, their homes and their contributions to cloth making.

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Firstly from my personal knowledge:
I don't know what you believe 'mohair' to be but factually it is the hair of the angora goat! Cashmere is the hair of another version of the goat, the cashmere goat. You can therefore deduce that Tom Ford is trying meet a requirement to make clear what its composition is and thinks that 'goat hair' is a more acceptable description than 'the hair of any old goat but neither cashmere or mohair'.

Each variety of wool brings a different feel (coarse, fine, luxurious etc) to the cloth and the public value Cashmere and mohair as premium products. This is actually no different to 'wool' which is commonly associated with the overcoats worn by sheep; each version of the sheep gives a different 'wool' which works through into the cloth produced.
  • Secondly from a quick check to make sure I was correct and did not mislead you:
Were you to have troubled to use Google this there is a very full description of the various versions of the goat, their homes and their contributions to cloth making.

Haha, yes I had an attempt with Google, but nothing looked like the kind of answer I was looking for. They were getting into many specifics of cashmere, mohair, so forth... but not a discussion of what "goat hair" itself would be - something unprocessed, conductive properties, ect. Perhaps I failed the Google. Plus, a google search can never replace a well informed person who knows the tiniest facts. :marchal:

Nevertheless, thanks for the discussion. I didn't know that Mohair - although I know its properties - came from an Angora goat. I would not have made that deduction with my current, limited understanding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads