1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Go EAST, Young Man!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by quill, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

Michel Chossudovsky comes to mind. He's very anti-, but his arguments are concise and objective, and extremely hard to argue against. This is probably because his work is very often just a frighteningly well-organized regurgitation of facts.

2. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

I am very much a proponent of globalization (a soft approach, not a big-bang approach; which means gradual relaxation of protectionist policies). I'm not so much against his arguments (although he didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, with the possible exception of the fine people he has met and the fine hotels / airlines he has travelled on) as I am against his know-it-all attitude. He is grapling with major issues that even the most intelligent economists and political scientists find challenging, but he simplifies things and makes a lot of claims that are supported by shaky evidence based on his globe-trotting experience and attendance at fancy conferences instead of solid research and logic. For people who are not willing to look into the theory and the data, his book gives them the false sense that they understand globalization, hence the awards he has received. It can be a very convicing book to the lay person. But show me a development economist or a international trade economist who has a high opinion of that book.