• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GMTO - Carmina slipper style loafer

thatitalian

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been in contact with Carmina about a group MTO and am looking for interested members who would be happy to participate.

I have always been a big fan of Simon Crompton's (Permanent Style) Gaziano & Girling bespoke loafer, pictured below:

gaziano-and-girling-bespoke-loafer.jpg

As beautiful as they are I was not willing to pay nearly £2k for the privilege of owning a pair.

However, Carmina are able to produce something similar.

The proposal is the blend two styles of shoe, the back of the penny loafer (with a single stitch seam) and the front of the slipper, both are pictured below:

full_strap_loafers_brown_80372_l.jpg

dress_slippers_brown_suede_80384_l.jpg

In addition they would add some medallion detailing to the toe.

In terms of leather, I think they would look great in either a brown museum calf or lovely Rusticalf leather from Tannerie D'Annonay in France (my personal preference as I like the texture and they can be burnished). The beautiful grains, rich colours and character of the leather make this one of the best calf leathers in the world.

Alpine looks like a great grain option. Here are some colours below:
allrusticalfcolours.jpg

Here is an example of No. 22:
alpine.jpg

No. 23:
23_pall_small.jpg

No. 27:
11379142_909825495748097_2034866094_n.jpg

And here is No. 31 below (in the middle):
_dsc6703.jpg

I'll attempt to get some samples as well, but as you can see it is a stunning leather.

To keep the elegance of the shoe I propose the Uetam last, specifically designed for loafers, but am happy to consider others dependent on demand.

Soles would be finished in leather (JR / Rendenbach soles) which have been kindly offered free of charge.

Carmina have confirmed the cost below:

Europe - Includes VAT - 395euro
USA - Includes VAT & Taxes - 450usd
Rest of the world - Without VAT & Taxes unpaid. 341euro

Who would be interested in participating?

Regards,

Stephen

Last edited:

abkain

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been in contact with Carmina about a group MTO and am looking for interested members who would be happy to participate.

I have always been a big fan of Simon Crompton's (Permanent Style) Gaziano & Girling bespoke loafer, pictured below:

gaziano-and-girling-bespoke-loafer.jpg

As beautiful as they are I was not willing to pay nearly £2k for the privilege of owning a pair.

However, Carmina are able to produce something similar.

The proposal is the blend two styles of shoe, the back of the penny loafer (with a single stitch seam) and the front of the slipper, both are pictured below:

penny_loafers_brown_80158_l.jpg

dress_slippers_brown_suede_80384_l.jpg

In addition they would add some medallion detailing to the toe.

In terms of leather, I think they would look great in either a brown museum calf, a chestnut museum calf, a brown vegano calf, a brown lama calf, a libano kid, brown grein, chestnut grein or a chestnut karangrein (my personal preference as I like the texture and they can be burnished), again all are respectively pictured below:

MG_5978_1024x1024.jpg

MG_2662_1024x1024.jpg
full_strap_penny_loafer_carmina_80372_l.jpg

MG_3386_1024x1024.jpg

oxford-shoes-kid-leather-80554_sadl.jpg

grein_derby_shoes_757_brown_sadl.jpg

To keep the elegance of the shoe I would propose the Uetam last, specifically designed for loafers, but am happy to consider others dependent on demand.

Soles would be finished in leather (Rendenbach soles).

I would estimate price at around €550, but I need Carmina to confirm first.

Who would be interested in participating?

Regards,

Stephen

Would Carmina be willing to do an option without the medallion as part of the same GMTO? If so, I could be in.

thatitalian

Reaction score
Would Carmina be willing to do an option without the medallion as part of the same GMTO? If so, I could be in.

I am sure that can be arranged. I will ask just to make sure though.

thatitalian

Reaction score
Updated with confirmed pricing:

Europe - Includes VAT - 395euro
USA - Includes VAT & Taxes - 450usd
Rest of the world - Without VAT & Taxes unpaid. 341euro

chichu

Reaction score
Could you describe the sizing thoughts Uetam last. I would also be a fan of a medallion. Are shoe trees included?

thatitalian

Reaction score
From the Carmina site:

The Uetam is an Italian inspired last designed exclusively for loafers. It features a rounded and narrow toe, with a very low instep which allows for better holding. Very comfortable at the toe area. Available in E and EE widths.

I think it fits similar to the Ron and Hiro lasts from Meermin, if you have ever tried those.

I normally take a 9.5 UK for a loafer and we be going for the same here.

I am waiting on a response on the possibility of a medallion option i.e. each person can chose whether they want the medallion or not.

Shoes trees are not included currently but will ask if there is a discount if everyone wants trees. I will be taking some, personally.

thatitalian

Reaction score
So I have had some questions confirmed by Carmina:

1. They can do some without the medallion.
2. They are willing to take 50% off on the trees.
3. Samples are in the post to me. Will post up photos once I have some.

chichu

Reaction score
It's hard to pay for shoe trees... because in the past, they use to include it in the normal price.

So I have had some questions confirmed by Carmina:

1. They can do some without the medallion.
2. They are willing to take 50% off on the trees.
3. Samples are in the post to me. Will post up photos once I have some.

thatitalian

Reaction score
It's hard to pay for shoe trees... because in the past, they use to include it in the normal price.
Perhaps they do not do this anymore. How long ago?

Also, they are including the JR soles for free.

rkusmant

Reaction score
Full strap or same strap style from your sample?

Lumaca

Reaction score
I'm interested

Question: is using a different leather for strap and the loafer an option?

thatitalian

Reaction score
Apologies for my tardiness, my wife gave birth to our third child so I have had my hands full.

Carmina have sent me some samples of grained leather. My recommendation is below:

IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0417.jpg

It is a deep chestnut color, with a reddish-brown tone. For clarification it is the darker shade on the piece.

To answer some of your questions:

@Bleach Connoisseur we need five people. So far I have had confirmed interest from:
@thatboyo
@abkain
@Lumaca
and myself, so that takes us to five if everyone commits. Please let me know if you are still interested.

@elsalvatrucha see my recommendation above, the leather is truly stunning in the flesh, a lovely shade of brown with a slight hint of red and a subtle grain just to enhance the shoe, not to overpower it.

@rkusmant the half strap (as per original picture) would look best. However, I am confirming with Carmina if they can use this shape of strap i.e. rounded as a half strap. The image below might help you picture how it would look from the top, without the strap going all the way down to the sole, with a slipper style front obviously:

MG_3394_grande.jpg

@Lumaca I am not sure if that is an option, but I will ask Carmina.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads