• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

glue for fixing cuts in vamp

brainchild

Reaction score
What adhesive product would anyone recommend, for restoring a cut in the toe of a calf shoe, that would be unlikely to cause discoloration or other unwanted side effects, and that would be durable and dependable once applied?

Last edited:

Goofy

Reaction score
Here you go. Took me two seconds to google:
An alternative available in an array of colors would be:
There is no restoring leather to its original state once damaged.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the renovating cream would be sufficient to glue a hole shut. It isn't very strong at all, and is VERY easy to wipe off.

Goofy

Reaction score
I don't know if the renovating cream would be sufficient to glue a hole shut. It isn't very strong at all, and is VERY easy to wipe off.
A hole as in all the way through? In that case glue won’t suffice. Your looking at patchwork in that case. Otherwise the renovating cream was especially created to repair scuffs and blemishes.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A hole as in all the way through? In that case glue won’t suffice. Your looking at patchwork in that case. Otherwise the renovating cream was especially created to repair scuffs and blemishes.

I've used it nicely for deep gouges and such, though even then, I find that it is easy to wipe off and such.

Maybe I didn't let it dry very long, though.

I mean, it is a good product, though. It DOES work, it just isn't a glue by any means - it's a scratch filler.

I take it the OP means a cut as in, like, something that cut through the leather entirely.

Goofy

Reaction score
I've used it nicely for deep gouges and such, though even then, I find that it is easy to wipe off and such.

Maybe I didn't let it dry very long, though.

I mean, it is a good product, though. It DOES work, it just isn't a glue by any means - it's a scratch filler.

I take it the OP means a cut as in, like, something that cut through the leather entirely.
Please refer to the video I’ve added to my above post.

As previously mentioned. No glue will suffice if the leather was damaged all the way through. In that case the damage would require patching from within.

Last edited:

brainchild

Reaction score
I'm sorry that the original explanation may be too terse to explain adequately the particular situation. The toe has been cut, but the original surface of the skin remains as a flap attached on one side. A glue would secure the flap, bringing the shoe closer to its original appearance, and mitigating continued wearing away of the separated piece.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry that the original explanation may be too terse to explain adequately the particular situation. The toe has been cut, but the original surface of the skin remains as a flap attached on one side. A glue would secure the flap, bringing the shoe closer to its original appearance, and mitigating continued wearing away of the separated piece.

Would you please take a picture? This way we can advise better.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While it requires some care and mindfulness, superglue is probably best for over the toe. Closely mask off the area around the cut, apply a drop of supergule to the cut and take an old spoon and smooth/press the flap down. Hold it for 10-15 seconds and you're done...although allowing it to cure for an hour or so might be advisable.

the trick to this is not to apply too much glue...too much will ooze out when you press the flap with the spoon. And carefully seal off the leather around the cut with masking tape. Make sure that the tape is right up to the edge of the cut. Make sure it is adhering tightly to the leather right up to the edge of the cut.

You may get some slight loss of colour finish when you remove the tape but you'll want to polish over the cut area, anyway so that really shouldn't be a long term problem.

This works best on toes because the stiffener supports the pressing down of the flap and because the leather doesn't gererally flex over the toe. It will work also on the heel. And it will work...although less well... on the sides of the shoe.

The whole area will be stiff and even a little brittle (depending on the superglue)--not a problem over the toe or heel stiffener--and it is not for gouges or tears or cuts all the way through.

In fact, tears--where the leather has been abraded and lacerated, are not real good candidates either. If you don't have a clean flap to cover the damage the superglue that eases out can be very obvious.

Goofy

Reaction score
While it requires some care and mindfulness, superglue is probably best for over the toe. Closely mask off the area around the cut, apply a drop of supergule to the cut and take an old spoon and smooth/press the flap down. Hold it for 10-15 seconds and you're done...although allowing it to cure for an hour or so might be advisable.

the trick to this is not to apply too much glue...too much will ooze out when you press the flap with the spoon. And carefully seal off the leather around the cut with masking tape. Make sure that the tape is right up to the edge of the cut. Make sure it is adhering tightly to the leather right up to the edge of the cut.

You may get some slight loss of colour finish when you remove the tape but you'll want to polish over the cut area, anyway so that really shouldn't be a long term problem.

This works best on toes because the stiffener supports the pressing down of the flap and because the leather doesn't gererally flex over the toe. It will work also on the heel. And it will work...although less well... on the sides of the shoe.

The whole area will be stiff and even a little brittle (depending on the superglue)--not a problem over the toe or heel stiffener--and it is not for gouges or tears or cuts all the way through.

In fact, tears--where the leather has been abraded and lacerated, are not real good candidates either. If you don't have a clean flap to cover the damage the superglue that eases out can be very obvious.
Sound advice all around, but also note that not applying enough glue will result in the edges of the tear not adhering sufficiently and therefore prone to snagging and tearing. Ergo you only get one try at this to get it right. You’re basically screwed if you get it wrong. Any of those glues in my first post should do the trick. Good luck.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sound advice all around, but also note that not applying enough glue will result in the edges of the tear not adhering sufficiently and therefore prone to snagging and tearing. Ergo you only get one try at this to get it right. You’re basically screwed if you get it wrong. Any of those glues in my first post should do the trick. Good luck.

#7, 6 , 3, and 2 are all essentially cyanoacrylate glues (AKA super-glue). Some may have more or less of an agent to impart flexibility to them but they all must be handled carefully both for the user's sake and the shoe's.

#1 and 4 are, AFAIK, more like silicone sealer al though I don't really know the chemistry. They are very, very flexible but correspondingly less strong and less appropriate for what the OP was talking about. They would also tend to slowly lose adhesion in the presence of oils...even the slight amount in a shoe cream. And the solvents in them may be just as detrimental to the finish of the leather as the solvents in the superglues. And both would probably need clamping.

I have used all these products or ones that were similar in my career and my professional advice is that either get the job done professionally, or, in this particular case, stick to the cyanoacrylates.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads