• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glove lining?

kraftar

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing my first pair of leather gloves from Chester Jefferies, but don't know which lining (if any) I should select. I'll wear the gloves mostly in London, so I'm not worried about freezing temperatures.

My choices are:
Unlined
Cashmere
Chamois
Fleece
Fur
Lamb
Silk
Viscose/Wool
Wool

Any help would be appreciated..

Annadale

Reaction score
Not worried about temperature? Go for the unlined.

kraftar

Reaction score
Would any of the linings make the gloves more comfortable or durable?

Annadale

Reaction score
It all depends what you are holding in your hands. The glove is as durable as the quality and thickness of the leather is. In my opinion the lining is always the first to go.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
I just received a pair from CJ last week with red silk lining. The lining is very smooth, though I'm not sure how durable it will be.

viator

Reaction score
Every pair of cashmere lined gloves I've had has lasted about 2 seasons before the lining develops holes.

Maybe the fleece would give some warmth without sacrificing warmth?

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker
I just received a pair from CJ last week with red silk lining. The lining is very smooth, though I'm not sure how durable it will be.

I was just thinking of ordering some gloves with red silk lining myself. I don't suppose you would mind posting a picture of yours? I'm curious what the lining looks like.

Raralith

Reaction score
When are you exactly going to be wearing the gloves? What will you be doing with them on? I personally like cashmere lined gloves, and I've thankfully had no problems with them. I also think that cashmere feels the best, especially since it envelopes the hand so you feel all of it. The major downside though is that you give up some dexterity on your hands and fingers especially. Unlined is much better for grabbing at things, getting paperwork if someone is handing you something, etc... Silk lined is something in between, more towards unlined feel actually, but I don't really like the feel of it.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always found lined gloves too warm for general wear in London.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Jeffries are lined in rabbit fur.

I LOVE the warmth and softness BUT: they will shed and eventually you'll lose a fair amount in the fingertips. I'd probably think twice about geting rabbit lined again.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The wool and wool/viscose blend are likely to be the most durable, but also least smooth and least comfortable.

I have a pair of BB wool lined gloves which are perfect for really cold days (like today, -9 degrees F!!) and I don't have a problem with the wool lining. Your opinion may differ.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I like cashmere myself. The "heavier" options you have mentioned will likely be too warm and too bulky. You can probably even get away with unlined if the leather is thick enough, so long as it's not too cold and you're on the move.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like cashmere too. I have a pair of BB wool-lined that are a little more on the durable side (I play nice with the cashmere). For some reason I feel that unlined would be a little too "lite."

changy

Reaction score
Don't know much about London winters, but I like cashmere for ny winters. The down side is they make your fingers look like sausages. I have unlined for fall use.

kraftar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raralith
When are you exactly going to be wearing the gloves? What will you be doing with them on? I personally like cashmere lined gloves, and I've thankfully had no problems with them. I also think that cashmere feels the best, especially since it envelopes the hand so you feel all of it. The major downside though is that you give up some dexterity on your hands and fingers especially. Unlined is much better for grabbing at things, getting paperwork if someone is handing you something, etc... Silk lined is something in between, more towards unlined feel actually, but I don't really like the feel of it.

I'll mostly be wearing them to and from work. No heavy lifting, etc and I generally don't require alot of dexterity while wearing them. Based on the comments, I think I'll go with unlined for this pair, and then get a lined pair later if the unlined are not warm enough.

Thanks for all the assistance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads