• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

globe barbell

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anybody have one? I am thinking about getting one for home use. basically, I am not interested in gaining, I want to keep stable at a certain point, and it seems like a neat way to do it. I'd use it for overhead squats, mostly

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you want a barbell you can't change the weight with. I know you said you don't want to increase the weight, but your not gonna be able to warm up with it either.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why would you want a barbell you can't change the weight with.

Gyms get fixed weights so they don't have to deal with the issues of people not putting locks on right. Or other things.

But I agree at home they don't make much sense unless you have a big enough gym to own a collection.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
here's the thing - what I want to do is a small number of excersizes, very quickly, with no need to **** around. I'd go to the gym, maybe once a week, to do more stuff, but on days when I didn't have other excersize, I'd do a quick and simple rutine at home. short run, overhead squats, kettlebell press, pullups. maybe 45 minutes for everything, door to door. and, by keeping the wieght stable, I keep the rutine unchanging indefinatly.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you don't just get a barbell and some plates. A globe barbell offers no benefits over a barbell with plates. its not like you can't just put plates on the barbell and put the collars on and never change the weight. Unless a globe barbell is significantly cheaper I don't see why you would want one.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup if you have the room no need to unload the bar. You can even load the bar the night before.

Fran

Reaction score
Did you end up ever finding anything, man? I agree with you- one of those would be useful. Especially, I think, if you don't have room for a squat rack at your place. Any of these barbells you find today will probably actually be adjustable. They made them that way back in the old days, too. Weighted each globe with shot.
Do a web search for "loadable globe barbell" and you'll find some manufacturers, as well as videos of guys doing some old-school strongman exercises like Steinborn squats, bent presses, etc. Definitely a worthwhile addition to a home gym that can add a lot of versatility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads