• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Global warming as a threat to classic menswear

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my first summer in Florence than I can remember not seeing a man in silk or linen summer scarf. Even jackets have been a rare sighting. This summer has been one of the hottest on record here and men are adjusting their attire accordingly.

I worry about a future in high temperatures make it unbearable to wear a jacket, tie, slacks, or even fine leather shoes. Layering is such an important part of dressing with style and it's becoming impossible.

Is the weather putting a crimp on your style? Are you wearing your jackets less? What can we do?

coldsalmon

Reaction score
This is my first summer in Florence than I can remember not seeing a man in silk or linen summer scarf. Even jackets have been a rare sighting. This summer has been one of the hottest on record here and men are adjusting their attire accordingly.

I worry about a future in high temperatures make it unbearable to wear a jacket, tie, slacks, or even fine leather shoes. Layering is such an important part of dressing with style and it's becoming impossible.

Is the weather putting a crimp on your style? Are you wearing your jackets less? What can we do?
In addition to threatening mankind's future, climate change has indeed interfered with my menswear hobby in an annoying way. It has been too hot for even my lightest jacket for more than a week, here in New York.

What can we do? Nothing. We can sit here and watch it wither away.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from wearing more linen is there anything that we can do? I'm worried that global warming may start interfering with aspects of my life beyond my menswear hobby. :(

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just discussed this with my tailor yesterday. There has been marked shift towards lightweight open weave frescos and linen. Gone are the days of heavy tweeds and thick flannels. At least in our neck of the woods. It's a real shame.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you eat less iron, you'll become anemic and feel cold all the time.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm trying to help my fellow scarf enthusiasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads